Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ballsed my bios up...i think

stuartd is offline Junior Member

Default ballsed my bios up...i think

thought i would flash my bios...trouble is i think i have ruined them.
    i have tried entering windows 7 and all the fail safes have not worked and i have no image file as back up.
    I can get the F2 asrock options up but no matter what i try (newbie-ish) i cannot flash the bios.
    I am obviously doing something wrong.
    The bios page tells me it is H67M P1.40
    I think the latest bios may be 2.10.

I have no access to windows 7 on the faulty pc but do have access to XP on my laptop.

I have put the bios onto a 16gb duracell usb stick and it did not boot from it.
    I tried the dos boot system and it says it needs win32.

The latest version comes as 2.1zip...do i need to change/alter this to a different format to flash.

Sorry if this is a bit lapsy daisy but i have explained as best i can.

one more thing i think it is a SANDY BRIDGE board...gulp

also when i try to flash with a ISO it says invalid system disk.

also get @error 18 - chipset/flash part is not available

I am adding anything i find as i go on.
    On the bios site it says a ASRflash will come with the bios zip file.
    when i unpack the said file there is no asrflash .exe within?

last post till i get some help
    But i have installed ubuntu with the live cd and can run okay and see all my windows files.
    Would this mean that the bios are okay and the fault is something else?
    Last edited by stuartd; 12-31-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Default Re: ballsed my bios up...i think

Hello and Welcome.

Please go to your "Edit Profile", link HERE, scroll down to "System Specs" and fill it out so that we know what your system is comprised of and more importantly just which H67M model MB you have. There looks to be 5 different H67M* models.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Oh lord. Another of these that has the pop-up warning before downloading.

Did you get/see/read the pop-up below before you downloaded revision 2.10?

Code:
    Note:
    1. To support Intel's 3rd Generation (Ivy Bridge) CPU, corresponding BIOS, drivers, and AXTU update are required.
    2. After updating BIOS, please press any key to restart your system. At this moment, please do not remove the USB flash until Intel ME F/W update is finished.
    3. After you finish updating this BIOS, please reboot your system.
    4. Please only flash newer versions of BIOS in the future.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Before you proceed any further, HERE's a thread that you should read first concerning the pop-up you should have gotten and the troubles that have been created. It seems ASRock was somewhat short in describing the proper method. That thread linked goes into more detail.

stuartd is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Before you proceed any further, HERE's a thread that you should read first concerning the pop-up you should have gotten and the troubles that have been created. It seems ASRock was somewhat short in describing the proper method. That thread linked goes into more detail.

I have read your thoughts and the link thread, but i dont think i have even got as far as flashing the bios as i never set up the flash usb correctlty (i think).
    It as never got to the point whereas it says it is done or even looked like it as started flashing.
    I have a funny feeling i may have deleted some of the bios or something.
    When i start up i can still pressF2 and get to the bios which state they are still P1.4.
    what i did do was set eufi to default if this makes any difference.
    Another thing is that the system is running great with ubuntu 12.1 ( i presume it uses its own bios or something, i have installed it on the Hdd for now so i have access on this pc)
    i know i will have to format the drives back to NTFS when i start "fiddling about again".
    As i say i don't think i have actually updated the bios but i cannot tell form the bios screen.
    I tried to do a fresh install of windows 7 but after copying files to 100% it just went to the window" do you want to repair (which will not repair) and go to restart windows when last good (or something similar)"
    I hope this may clarify my downfall.
    It also ends up with a black screen and a flashing cursor and nothing else.

Any chance you need to set your drives in the bios to ahci or ide, what ever you originally installed the OS as.

And not to sound condescending but "thought i would flash my bios" has never been good enough reason here for me to update. Now if a bios update was stopping me from getting a system running or a included support for new hw device I added, then, sure.

As you are now aware, updating the bios involves risk. More so to some than others.

Thread Information