Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extreme6/TB4 issues (SSD detection, ultra fast boot)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Extreme6/TB4 issues (SSD detection, ultra fast boot)

Well, I have heard of another SSD (Crucial m4) that had a firmware update that was meant to address Windows 8 boot characteristics, meaning it happens so fast the SSD would not be ready or fully on when it should be. If that's the problem, I don't know.

What firmware do your V4's have, the latest is 1.5. The Vertex 4 is fairly power hungry for a SSD, do they share a power cable with other drives?

You could try OCZ's forum, but they'll suggest secure erasing them, checking the firmware, and disconnecting the SSDs from their power cable and letting them sit for a while, letting the power drain from the drive, as a form of reset.

Elix is offline Junior Member

I knew it would come to this... I already tired updating the firmware... The problem is, the firmware update tool can't see SSDs. They say it's because of IRST drivers. So in order to update the firmware I have to reinstall Windows 8. =(

The firmware update tool does not work in RAID mode, none of them do. It's not the IRST driver itself, or that another RAID driver would work, it's simply RAID mode.

But it can be done in some cases, depending on the firmware you are starting from, as long as the update tool has its own boot environment, I've done this myself in the past. You change to AHCI mode in the BIOS, but never boot into Windows, just boot into the firmware update tool, perform the update, shutdown, and change back to RAID. But the question is, which you have not answered, what firmware do you currently have? Sounds like you have 1.3, and if so the update to 1.4 is "destructive".

What means do I have to determine the firmware #?

If you can start that PC, which you seem to be able to with some effort, you can run the Intel Rapid Storage Utility that is listed in Control Panel. There you'll see your RAID 0 volume, and the individual drives listed. Click on each drive, and on the left at the bottom of the main listing will be a line for Firmware version.

Both SSDs have firmware 1.4. The latest firmware is 1.5, but I can only see update tool for updating under Windows. http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_too...and_Agility_4/
    Last edited by Elix; 01-07-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Lucky you, you won't need to reinstall your OS. The reference to Linux based tools on the main firmware update page is the one you want. That only means it boots to a small Linux environment to perform the update, not for use with a Linux OS.

The link you need is below, and I would suggest you study is carefully:

NEW!! - OCZ Bootable Toolbox - PC Edition

Updated both OCZ Vertex 4 firmware to 1.5 using the tool you provided (I set storage interface to AHCI before the update as you suggested)... IT WORKED!!!
    So we can summarize. Both problems solved (#2 until I get a better GPU). All thanks to you. Thank you for sticking with me to the end!

Topic can be closed.

Sure, glad I could help you. You also knew what you were doing and was careful about it, which makes a big difference. Thanks for the Likes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information