Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New build won't power up.

Default Re: New build won't power up.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosneros View Post
    I also added that whenever the Corsair TX850M was in the loop, its fan never rotated when power was applied.
    As Paul Harvey would say, "And now you now the rest of the story."

Return/RMA time for the PSU.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

rhinosneros is offline Junior Member

The power supply just failed the "paperclip test." It's going back for replacement. Thanks for all your helpful comments.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Your memory is not in the compatibility list, and that matters these days. You can't just put your favorite memory into these new boards, even if the memory manufacture states that they can be used with your platform, that is just a general statement.
    Can I reliably use any of the memory modules on this webpage then? I'm considering these which appear to be on the list. Thanks.

Only by ordering a new motherboard and power supply was I able to get the PC to boot to the BIOS. The Corsair power supply apparently fried the motherboard.

The motherboard manual doesn't seem to offer guidance for how to setup the BIOS. I would like to boot from the SSD (after loading Windows 7 Professional 64-bit). Might there an online instructional resource that someone can point me to? Thanks.

parsec is offline Senior Member

A resource for this board? Not really.

The default BIOS settings are basically fine for an OS installation. Your SSD should be connected to the PC to do any configuration.

BE SURE to use an INTEL SATA III port for your SSD. Check the manual for their location. The ASMedia add on SATA ports won't work well for an OS installation. If you are using a Windows disk for installation, connect the DVD drive to an Intel SATA port only. If using a bootable USB installation flash drive, ONLY use the USB 2.0 ports on the boards I/O panel, again check the manual.

DO NOT have any other drives connected/powered up during the installation. Otherwise Windows will put the MBR on another drive, and if you remove that drive later, no boot. That can be repaired, but to avoid that have no other drives active when installing Windows.

Check the Storage Configuration option. The SATA mode is AHCI by default, do NOT change that to IDE. Disable Aggressive SATA Link power management. If you click on your SSD, you can set it to SSD with the option that appears.

If you are using a separate video card, you should select that in South Bridge configuration. If not, Onboard is the default.

Do not OC the CPU or memory for the installation, leave everything on default values.

Whatever your installation device is, set that as the first boot device in the Boot menu.

If you don't know what a BIOS setting means or does, leave it alone.

Thanks a million for your constructive feedback.

I removed the 2TB drive for the SDD Windows 7 Pro 64-bit installation. No problems.
    I then added the 2TB hard drive, then partitioned and formatted. No problems.

For some reason, I cannot get my system to recognize the AMD FirePro V4900 graphics card ... nor can I find anywhere (including the AMD website) where I can download the drivers. I've removed the FirePro, attached the monitor to the onboard video, then installed drivers. Cool. After powering off, I installed the FirePro and attached the monitor. No auto-recognize. What's up? Advice? Thanks.

I located the FirePro V4900 drivers at support.AMD.com. For the first drop-down menu I had previously selected "Desktop Graphics," which seemed like a reasonable choice. That selection, however, only give me access to Radeon drivers. To access FirePro drivers, the first drop-down pick has to be "Workstation Graphics."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information