Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios




  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios

    My memory modules are:
    KVR800D3S8S6/2G
    2GB 256M x 64-Bit PC3-6400
    CL6 204-Pin SODIMM

    AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios-module-jpg

  2. #12
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    7,812

    Default Re: AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios

    Blather away oh loquacious* one.
    I've been blathering away in the forum for 4 years.
    Snuz 'n you lose.

    *Adjective: Talkative.
    Synonyms: talkative - garrulous - voluble - chatty - gabby

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios

    I can't upload the file but the spec can be found here:
    http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR800D3S8S6_2G.pdf

    So my 2gb mem is KVR800D3S8S6/2G 2GB 256M x 64-Bit PC3-6400 CL6 204-Pin SODIMM
    and NOT
    KVR1333D3D8R9S/4GHB 4GB 512M x 72-Bit PC3-10600 CL9 Registered w/Parity 240-Pin DIMM

    So the problem remains the same:
    Why does the motherboard ad2550b-itx identify my modules as the second option when it is clearly the first one (see above)?
    As the spec says it should work with my modules - How can I change the settings in the BIOS so my module are properly identified?

  4. #14
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    7,812

    Default Re: AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios

    The only memory setting I found in the user manual is to optionally select the DRAM voltage.
    Did you clear the CMOS after flashing with the the 1.20 (latest) bios?
    If you didn't, do it now by following the clear cmos instructions in the manual.

    As stated earlier, the problem might require buying a memory kit that is in the memory QVL list.
    Have you tested each memory module, one at a time to see if both have Memtest86+ errors?

    synack can best advise you on which Linux software you can use to test your memory to see if there are errors.
    I'd like to see a different screen-shot that shows the memory speed and timings.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    The only memory setting I found in the user manual is to optionally select the DRAM voltage.
    Did you clear the CMOS after flashing with the the 1.20 (latest) bios?
    If you didn't, do it now by following the clear cmos instructions in the manual.

    As stated earlier, the problem might require buying a memory kit that is in the memory QVL list.
    Have you tested each memory module, one at a time to see if both have Memtest86+ errors?

    synack can best advise you on which Linux software you can use to test your memory to see if there are errors.
    I'd like to see a different screen-shot that shows the memory speed and timings.
    I didn't flash the CMOS but as I alreadly mentionned, I did test each module separately and it gave the same result as you can see on the picture I posted.
    You can see the memory speed - I am not sure where the timing can be seen.

    I have no idea what/ who is synack?

  6. #16
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    7,812

    Default Re: AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios

    from your first post:
    I have upgrade to the BIOS version 1.20
    synack replied in posts #9 & #10 and he is a Linux expert (2nd classs). ;)

    The are many windows programs that display memory speeds and settings.
    synack should be able to suggest Linux programs that will display this information along with the Kingston programmed SPD settings.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    from your first post:
    synack replied in posts #9 & #10 and he is a Linux expert (2nd classs). ;)

    The are many windows programs that display memory speeds and settings.
    synack should be able to suggest Linux programs that will display this information along with the Kingston programmed SPD settings.
    How do I contact him? I have tried to send a message but no message seem to appear in the "Sent messages"

    My message/questions:

    Hi,

    profJim has recommended me to contact you about Linux questions.

    The BIOS of my itx-mini is not identifying my memory modules properly. The memtest86 is failing.

    Do you know of any tools
    - to check how Linux "sees" the module both speed and timing?
    - to stress the OS to see how it behaves? ( I can boot with Ubuntu Server 64 bits but I am concerned about the stability as I don't understand the implication of the memtest86 test failure)


    Thanks

  8. #18
    synack's Avatar
    synack is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Leblanc View Post
    How do I contact him? I have tried to send a message but no message seem to appear in the "Sent messages"

    My message/questions:

    Hi,

    profJim has recommended me to contact you about Linux questions.

    The BIOS of my itx-mini is not identifying my memory modules properly. The memtest86 is failing.

    Do you know of any tools
    - to check how Linux "sees" the module both speed and timing?
    - to stress the OS to see how it behaves? ( I can boot with Ubuntu Server 64 bits but I am concerned about the stability as I don't understand the implication of the memtest86 test failure)


    Thanks
    I got it and replied to your PM.
    For the sake of others, I basically had said:
    from a linux console: lshw -C memory
    will give what linux sees as what is installed
    eg:
    bank:0
    description: DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 2000 MHz (0.5 ns)
    product: M379B5273DH0-YK0
    vendor: Samsung
    physical id: 0
    serial: xxxxxxxx
    slot: ChannelA-DIMM0
    size: 4GiB
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 2GHz (0.5ns)

    And I also stated that I don't believe Ubuntu LiveCD has any good stress tests on it and to try this instead.

  9. #19
    synack's Avatar
    synack is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Blather away oh loquacious* one.
    I've been blathering away in the forum for 4 years.
    Snuz 'n you lose.

    *Adjective: Talkative.
    Synonyms: talkative - garrulous - voluble - chatty - gabby
    all I can say to that is: LOL
    I've been called many things... but never loquacious

  10. #20
    synack's Avatar
    synack is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: AD2550B-ITX - sodimm ddr3 800 not recognized in bios

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Leblanc View Post
    I can't upload the file but the spec can be found here:
    http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR800D3S8S6_2G.pdf

    So my 2gb mem is KVR800D3S8S6/2G 2GB 256M x 64-Bit PC3-6400 CL6 204-Pin SODIMM
    and NOT
    KVR1333D3D8R9S/4GHB 4GB 512M x 72-Bit PC3-10600 CL9 Registered w/Parity 240-Pin DIMM

    So the problem remains the same:
    Why does the motherboard ad2550b-itx identify my modules as the second option when it is clearly the first one (see above)?
    As the spec says it should work with my modules - How can I change the settings in the BIOS so my module are properly identified?
    Yes, the sticker says 800MHz, but it seems the memory chip reports something else. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to use the same hardware with different specs, but that's a pretty big jump lol.

    Also I forgot to mention above that memtest86+ is the best memory tester for linux or windows.
    and pulling up the memory SPD info within linux is also a bit more difficult.
    You need to:
    a) install the i2c software
    b) insert the eeprom module into the kernel (modprobe eeprom)
    c) run the program: decode-dimms
    However this will give you exactly what is on the memory chip regardless of what the BIOS says. If it comes back as pc3 10600 here, then it's the memory and not the motherboard.
    if the spd comes back as 800, then we know it's a MB/bios issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •