Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Adding an HD 7850 to my A10 5800K?

orbeavhawk is online now Junior Member

Default Adding an HD 7850 to my A10 5800K?

The Manual for my FM2A85X Extreme6 does not really instruct the owner/installer about the ins and outs of doing what I am going to do....it gives info on Crossfire setups BUT........I just want to add an HD7850 Card and it says nothing about changing anything in the BIOS.........or, more important to me, any conflict between Audio/Video Drivers for the two separate GPU's? and which HDMI OUT do you use?
    I have went into the BIOS, of course, and changed default setting to "ONBOARD" graphics......but when I add this PCIe Card, do I then change back to default "PCIe" or do you leave the Onboard as "BOSS"?
    I know already, from reading others tests/reviews, that I am probably really better off to just go straight 100% HD7850 and totally bypass the onboard 7660D GPU...........but that VIRT MVP Program has me intriqued as to whether or not it could use BOTH to my graphical benefit??? When using that program would your graphics setting in bios be "onboard" or "pcie"?

PLEASE advise as to the proper/safe way to install and use either ONE or BOTH in my system?

My monitor has two HDMI Inputs...........I wonder what would happen with both HDMI OUTS from 'puter to them would work?

TKS michael

larhome is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Adding an HD 7850 to my A10 5800K?

If you want to take full advantage of the onboard 7660D and combine it with a discrete graphics card take a look at page 27 for the fm2a85x extreme 6 guide. Note for step 2 below. Since AMD does not make a 7450-7670 use a 6450-6670 GPU. There is no mention of the 7850.

I hope this helps you to stick to the discrete 7850 only.

2.6 AMD Dual Graphics Operation Guide <o:p></o:p>
    Currently, AMD Dual GraphicsTechnology is only supported with Windows® 8 / 7 OS, and is not available with Windows® VistaTM OS.
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p> Step 1. Please keep the default UEFI setting of “Dual Graphics“ option on [Auto].
    Step 2. Install one AMD RADEONHD7450/7470/7570/7670 PCI Express graphics card to PCIE2 slot.
    Step 3. Connect the monitor cable to the onboard VGA port. Please be noted that the current VGA driver /VBIOS can allow Dual Graphics output from on- board display only.
    Step 4. Boot into OS. Please remove the AMD driver if you have any VGA driver installed in your system
    S
    tep 5. Install the onboard VGA driver from our support CD to your system for both the onboard VGA and the discrete graphics card.
    Step 6. Restart your computer. Right-click the desktop. Click “AMD VISION Engine Control Center” to enter AMD VISION Engine Control Center.

orbeavhawk is online now Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by larhome View Post
    If you want to take full advantage of the onboard 7660D and combine it with a discrete graphics card take a look at page 27 for the fm2a85x extreme 6 guide. Note for step 2 below. Since AMD does not make a 7450-7670 use a 6450-6670 GPU. There is no mention of the 7850.

I hope this helps you to stick to the discrete 7850 only.

2.6 AMD Dual Graphics Operation Guide <o:p></o:p>
    Currently, AMD Dual GraphicsTechnology is only supported with Windows® 8 / 7 OS, and is not available with Windows® VistaTM OS.
    <o:p></o:p> Step 1. Please keep the default UEFI setting of “Dual Graphics“ option on [Auto].
    Step 2. Install one AMD RADEONHD7450/7470/7570/7670 PCI Express graphics card to PCIE2 slot.
    Step 3. Connect the monitor cable to the onboard VGA port. Please be noted that the current VGA driver /VBIOS can allow Dual Graphics output from on- board display only.
    Step 4. Boot into OS. Please remove the AMD driver if you have any VGA driver installed in your system
    S
    tep 5. Install the onboard VGA driver from our support CD to your system for both the onboard VGA and the discrete graphics card.
    Step 6. Restart your computer. Right-click the desktop. Click “AMD VISION Engine Control Center” to enter AMD VISION Engine Control Center.

THANKS for your input...........after much switching back and forth, ie. "onboard" & "discrete"; VIRTU MVP and NOT............I have ended up with PURE Discrete - HD7850 uninstalled VIRTU MVP and found a good couple of OC'ing utilities and have the 7850 smokin' and stable. Looking GOOD!

TKS

Quote Originally Posted by orbeavhawk View Post
    THANKS for your input...........after much switching back and forth, ie. "onboard" & "discrete"; VIRTU MVP and NOT............I have ended up with PURE Discrete - HD7850 uninstalled VIRTU MVP and found a good couple of OC'ing utilities and have the 7850 smokin' and stable. Looking GOOD!

TKS
    I have been trying to do this with a MSI HD R6950 but nothing but headaches. I must have pulled the graphics card 25 times now trying different combination of settings, to get my 6950 to be the primary card.

Right now I have deleted the MSI driver and went to the AMD website and installed the 12.4 version driver that covers both the 6000 and 7000 serries of GPU's.
    The 7660D and 6950 are now using the same driver and both show "working properly" under Windows 7 Device Manager ..but I still can't get a signal from the 6950..only by running the monitor cable to the motherboard, will I get video...otherwise, just a message to check my cable connection. Yet..if I run 3DMark, it recognizes the 6950 in the results. I tried with and without LucidLogix MVP. Right now I have it installed and showing all games are in d-Mode but when you read about LucidLogix MVP..if the cable is not running out of the discrete card, then its not functioning in d-Mode. (only i-Mode) from what I gather.

But you say you got your 7850 to be PURE discrete?

How did you bypass or disable the 7660D? I didnt think you could do that with a iGPU. My ASUS F2A85-V PRO motherboard has no options in BIOS to disable the 7660D.

Thread Information