Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with start-up on old rebuild ASRock N68-S

homohabilissaywha? is offline Junior Member

Question Help with start-up on old rebuild ASRock N68-S

I am working on rebuiling an ASRock N68-S motherboard with a new AMD AthlonII 260 cpu and Thermal TR2 psu. I set up the bare minimum to try and update the bios and I could not get any video display through the onboard graphics, the monitor is not detecting a signal. I also don't have any power to my keyboard, or DVD, but I cpu fan, PSU, and lights are working. I reset the CMOS, and nothing changed. I unplugged the computer, and pressed the power switch and the computer had power for a second. I am stuck and do not know what the problem could be?

Default Re: Help with start-up on old rebuild ASRock N68-S

If you don't have power to the DVD then I'd be looking at the PSU as a very likely culprit.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think using the 260 with r1.30 will work to update to the latest r2.10 with.

The 260 according to the CPU Support List req's r2.10 to function properly.

ASRock > N68-S

Probably need a cpu compatible with the r1.30 BIOS to update.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Lightbulb Re: Help with start-up on old rebuild ASRock N68-S

Thank wardog for the reply.

On your first point about the PSU and power to the DVD, i tried another PSU and the same thing happened.

On your second point, about the bios and the CPU, I am going to try with the old CPU and see if I get any boot screen/power.

I will share results soon. Thanks

This is an internal DVD here that's not powering, right?

Not an external USB port (self-)powered USB CD/DVD drive?

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    This is an internal DVD here that's not powering, right?

Not an external USB port (self-)powered USB CD/DVD drive?
    This is an internal DVD by IDE.

Quote Originally Posted by homohabilissaywha? View Post
    This is an internal DVD by IDE.
    !

Quick test. Disconnect the DVD drive IDE data cable AND power cable and see what happens. ie: completely isolate it from the board and psu

By what's posted here to date, I'd maybe consider the DVD drive dead. That could I suppose cause some problems with booting or what not, depending on what may be wrong internally with it.

But two psu's and a dvd drive that won't power up from either isn't a good sign the dvd drive is working properly.

Wardog you have lead to me some progress.

I put in my old sempron cpu and got the computer to boot into bios.

Now my only problem is updating the bios, if I use a usb drive do i want to put the zip file on there or do i extract those files onto my jump drive?

To keep my tail from getting into deep doo doo follow what the manual or the directions on the BIOS d/l page states for directions.

I am not familiar with this mb, so I hope you understand from where I come when I say that.

You will need to unzip the files to whatever medium you use to flash with. In a zipped(compressed) format nothing will happen as the files are unreadable by the flashing program.

Question Re: Help with start-up on old rebuild ASRock N68-S

So like I said earlier, I was able to boot into bios when i put in my old sempron processor. I am trying to flash the bios and the bios does not detect the bios update on my jumpdrive. I extracted the compressed file off the ASRock website, and I downloaded the flash version from the website. The website provides very general information on how to flash the bios. Any ideas on what I could do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information