Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VT-d support on Z77 boards

kpo6969 is offline Member

Default Re: VT-d support on Z77 boards

I got confused re-reading it again myself so disregard my earlier post.

12/4/2012
    1. Support UEFI PXE boot.
    2. Modify VT-d Capability will be unsupported after flashing BIOS P2.50.

11/14/2012
    1. Improve USB compatibility.

synack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikewse View Post
    Thanks for the insights. I'm building a new system and as I'm going to go deep into virtualization I'd like to keep my options open and get a system that can do VT-d. Maybe I won't use it in the end, but rather be safe than sorry.
    You will soon figure out that the deeper into virtualization you go, the more you won't want vt-d. :)

While passing hardware I/O directly to a guest *seems* like a great idea for performance (the ONLY pro among many cons), The whole purpose of virtualization is to abstract the hardware from the software. Total abstraction gives you portability and reliability/high availability that you can't get from direct contact to hardware. for instance if you want to assign a NIC to a guest. that NIC can only be used by that one guest and no others. if you want to be able to migrate that guest to multiple hosts for high availability, you need to have spare unassigned NICs in each of the other hosts. so say if you have 3 hosts for redundancy, you would need to have 3 physical NICs, 1 assigned at any time and 2 just sitting around doing nothing. just for one guest!! A terrible allocation of hardware at any rate.

In fact I really can't think of any good use cases at all. Video? nope. SAS/SATA Storage? Nope... Fibre channel? maybe... but those speeds are too slow to saturate modern busses. so Nope. lol
    NIC is really the only maybe I can think of...
    What would you think you might use it for?

But I digress, and will let you come to those and other conclusions yourself :)

Again, thanks for the insights, and for the time you put in to share them. I have read up on the different virtualization forums (vmware etc) and 'm well aware of the problems people are having with VT-d. It is quite possible that I will end up with the same conclusion as you in the end.

But this thread is not about whether I want to use VT-d or not. It is about whether Asrock is correct in claiming that their Z77 motherboards support VT-d, when Intel claims that the Z77 chipset doesn't (while other chipsets such as the Q77 do).

I'm still eager to hear from Asrock staff whether their Z77 boards fully support VT-d. (Or is this the wrong place to ask Asrock?)
    I've read there are 50 tests in the VT-d validation suite and I expect a board that claims VT-d support to pass all of them.

(Or is this the wrong place to ask Asrock?)
    Yes and No. Emily from ASRock does not per se frequent the forum as often as one would hope. Not IMO enough to call it "support' by any stretch of the imagination.

ASRock > Support Request Form

For people like you I'll direct them to the link above.

This is more and more becoming a User supported forum. Thus why you see Users such as the very knowledgeable and professionally experienced synack offering up valid posts on the subject.

If you'd be polite enough to post back the response from ASRock of your inquiry it would be appreciated. Though judging by your last post I'm not holding my breath of that happening.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

synack is offline Member

I'm still eager to hear from Asrock staff whether their Z77 boards fully support VT-d. (Or is this the wrong place to ask Asrock?)
    I've read there are 50 tests in the VT-d validation suite and I expect a board that claims VT-d support to pass all of them.
    If you don't believe the ASRock manual's statement of compliance, what difference would it make to have them repeat it here? just saying...
    And No, you probably won't get a reply from ASRock here. If you do it'll be lucky.

I've read in other forums that ASRock z77 boards do in fact support vt-d. I haven't seen the results of the 50 item test myself so I cannot say "fully" supported.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Yes and No. Emily from ASRock does not per se frequent the forum as often as one would hope. Not IMO enough to call it "support' by any stretch of the imagination.

ASRock > Support Request Form

For people like you I'll direct them to the link above.
    Ah, I understand. Thanks for the link, I'll contact them directly then.

Just a quick note that I still haven't heard from Asrock support.

I now have a reply from Asrock:

Thanks for contacting ASRock.

Intel 7 series chipset support Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (Intel VT-d).
    Please refer to page 52 in datasheet of Intel 7-series.
    http://www.intel.com.tw/content/dam/...-datasheet.pdf

By the way, if you want to enable VT-d, your CPU must support VT-d, too.
    Please check your CPU whether supports VT-d.
    I've checked the datasheet and it does state that all 7-series variants support VT-d, so it seems the information on the Intel Ark site is incorrect.
    Thanks everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information