Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASRock Z75 Boot Devices Stacking Up

PP2012 is offline Junior Member

Default its back and with revenge

I went to go use F11, boot devices are stacked up again. I use one usb generic storage device, not really generic, it's by verbatim that handles my micro sd's. Well the what ever it is, keeps stacking it. I went to go use F11 today, I got four of the same device listed again, so the next time I need to go use it, there will be 5, then 6 so on so forth even if the usb device is not connected, it will list it more than several times.

Doesn't this seem odd? Why is it doing this?

Yes clearing cmos clears the boot device listings, but man, clearing cmos after every use of a usb device is used to boot up, is unnecessary. Use usb device, clear cmos, go into UEFI change everything how you had it ect, should not have to do this.

I also changed the title of the thread that seems to be a reasonable name for it "boot devices stacking up", I cannot be the only character having this problem.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default re: ASRock Z75 Boot Devices Stacking Up

The list of boot devices could be related to the standards and functioning of the UEFI boot manager. The UEFI boot manager also treats removable devices in the same way as "permanent" drives, and apparently stores information about them in its non-volatile storage (except when cleared manually, as you did.)

BTW, and no offense, but did you really expect a first tier support person to be able to answer Linux type questions, with the added twist of a UEFI boot? How many people are actually doing a true UEFI secure boot? I'm just starting to see posts in forums about problems related to Windows 8 and UEFI booting, such as not being able to boot from a clone of a Windows 8 installation, due to the security keys. Plus who knows if the manufactures are doing things right yet. We have a lot of fun ahead of us in UEFI land, and we've barely started yet.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

@PP2012
    The thread name is still ASRock Z75 UEFI/BIOS P1.80 problem
    Let me know if you want me to change the "external" thread name to ASRock Z75 Boot Devices Stacking Up

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The list of boot devices could be related to the standards and functioning of the UEFI boot manager. The UEFI boot manager also treats removable devices in the same way as "permanent" drives, and apparently stores information about them in its non-volatile storage (except when cleared manually, as you did.)

BTW, and no offense, but did you really expect a first tier support person to be able to answer Linux type questions, with the added twist of a UEFI boot? How many people are actually doing a true UEFI secure boot? I'm just starting to see posts in forums about problems related to Windows 8 and UEFI booting, such as not being able to boot from a clone of a Windows 8 installation, due to the security keys. Plus who knows if the manufactures are doing things right yet. We have a lot of fun ahead of us in UEFI land, and we've barely started yet.
    That explains a lot, now I see why it does it. Non taken, I tried to explain to them in the best possible way as to why and how the linux boot option had gotten there, it was really the matter it kept memory of it even though I removed it from my Vector and replaced back my win7 image backup onto my ssd. And nope, I had no idea people were having such troubles with UEFI & win8, I tried win8 once on vm and stayed as far as away from win8 as much as possible like the plague. I had thought UEFI had matured, well, if that is the case, damn. I'm basically stuck with this problem as much as the win8 users are with the clones and keys with uefi. sucks. And plus that safe mode problem I mentioned in my first post is another added problem as I and another person has noticed as I mentioned with a link. I thank you, parsec, for the detailed explanation and hope the UEFI people do something about all these problems with UEFI "bugs".

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    @PP2012
    The thread name is still ASRock Z75 UEFI/BIOS P1.80 problem
    Let me know if you want me to change the "external" thread name to ASRock Z75 Boot Devices Stacking Up
    Yes, please, if you could. I don't know why only the first thread title changed but none of the rest and the external, it'll be much appreciated. :). That way, if others come to find out they have the same problem it will be easy for them to come and find out what is going on. Literally, I am surprised I am the only one so far that mentioned about the stacking of boot devices.

Thank you both for your help :) .

parsec is offline Senior Member

You're welcome, and just some other thoughts about your situation:

Did you see this stacking of device identifiers in Windows too? If not, maybe a Linux thing?

"It's not a bug, it's a feature". I'm not joking.

Could be a bug in this (your boards) specific UEFI? Or others too. ASRock bought the UEFIs from AMI, so if a bug, it could be AMI's, not ASRock's.

UEFI mature? Yes and no. IMO, software is not mature until it has been used in the wild for quite a while. Think of SSD firmware for an example.

How many people are actually doing true UEFI boots? Or doing UEFI boots at the level that you are?

I've only done it for the first time this week. How many of the UEFI boot capabilities have I used, or are even available to me? Very, very few, and I have no clue.

UEFI booting reminds me of using AHCI mode and drivers. It existed for years before it finally became the default SATA mode. Some people still don't know what it is.

So I think UEFI booting will now become more common, and with that we'll see issues, such as what you are seeing (if it is a issue) finally being found.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    You're welcome, and just some other thoughts about your situation:

Did you see this stacking of device identifiers in Windows too? If not, maybe a Linux thing?

"It's not a bug, it's a feature". I'm not joking.

Could be a bug in this (your boards) specific UEFI? Or others too. ASRock bought the UEFIs from AMI, so if a bug, it could be AMI's, not ASRock's.

UEFI mature? Yes and no. IMO, software is not mature until it has been used in the wild for quite a while. Think of SSD firmware for an example.

How many people are actually doing true UEFI boots? Or doing UEFI boots at the level that you are?

I've only done it for the first time this week. How many of the UEFI boot capabilities have I used, or are even available to me? Very, very few, and I have no clue.

UEFI booting reminds me of using AHCI mode and drivers. It existed for years before it finally became the default SATA mode. Some people still don't know what it is.

So I think UEFI booting will now become more common, and with that we'll see issues, such as what you are seeing (if it is a issue) finally being found.
    Nope, just at F11 and in boot devices in bios/UEFI as per say the old screenshot > imgur: the simple image sharer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information