Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xfast RAM V2.0.28 conflict with Windows 7 Image Backup

Default Re: Xfast RAM V2.0.28 conflict with Windows 7 Image Backup

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    On my Gigabyte P35 win7 system my boot drive is an ssd and my D: partition is on my hard drive.
    I've set the backup partition location to H: on my hard drive.
    My D: drive has pagefile.sys, windows TMP and TEMP folders, IE and FireFox cache folders and the windows Indexer folder.
    I set windows backup to only backup my C: drive, but it automatically includes my D: drive in the backup.
    Thanks for the input mate!

This is a lead worth investigating as Xfast RAM has the option to re-map system temp folder to the RAM disk and this would closely resemble your setup. I'll try disabling all re-map option and just preserve the naked RAM disk itself and then try a backup.

If this work, that would mean that any system environment variable such as temp, tmp or page file that are relocated to a drive different than the boot drive C:\, automatically makes this other drive a system drive or at least part of what the OS would consider the "system entity".

If true, then the only option if you still want to re-map system folder to a different drive, would be for that other drive to conform with the requirement of Windows backup, namely to be NTFS...

Get back to you later with results.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    This sounds like a possible scenario here. ie: system file(s)
    That's the thing, I don't know what Windows consider a system file... That the page file would be considered a system file, I could understand, but the temp folders???

Ok, disabled EVERYTHING in Xfast RAM config, reboot, tried to backup and still no joy... The damn RAM disk *STILL* shows as a system drive in windows backup. Back to square 1. No way to backup but to completely turn off the RAM disk. I have no direct evidence, but it surely start to look like the way Xfast RAM driver is implemented is wrong.

Before Xfast RAM, I used to use the free version of Dataram RAM disk. (RAMDisk - Software - Server Memory Products & Services - Dataram). I'll install it along with Xfast and see if this one register as a system disk too.
    Attached Images Attached Images Xfast RAM V2.0.28 conflict with Windows 7 Image Backup-xfastram-jpg 

parsec is offline Senior Member

Your pic shows a different XFast RAM disk UI than my version, both in appearance and options, but we knew that. The additions are the other browser cache's, and WinRAR. The Backup/Restore interface (how ironic) has more options.

One long shot I see is that the XFast RAM backup file is by default stored on the C: drive. You said you did not have it enabled, but does that file being on C: somehow cause the RAM drive to be included in a system image creation?

In Device Manager, under Storage Controllers, you can Disable the RAM Disk. Try that before creating a system image.

Well, I installed Dataram while Xfast was still installed. It created a RAM disk with drive letter I:. Windows backup obviously still included the H: drive as system drive, but not the new I: drive. I then un-installed Xfast RAm completely and rebooted. The Dataram disk for some reason reassign itself as H: after the reboot and BOOM, the Dataram disk now appears in the backup drive list. So the whole thing is not Xfast RAM related contrary to what I previously thought.

I'm starting to believe that for whatever reason, at some point, my OS permanently linked the drive letter H: as a system drive. I'll do some other tests, like simply changing the RAM disk driver letter.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Your pic shows a different XFast RAM disk UI than my version, both in appearance and options, but we knew that. The additions are the other browser cache's, and WinRAR. The Backup/Restore interface (how ironic) has more options.

One long shot I see is that the XFast RAM backup file is by default stored on the C: drive. You said you did not have it enabled, but does that file being on C: somehow cause the RAM drive to be included in a system image creation?

In Device Manager, under Storage Controllers, you can Disable the RAM Disk. Try that before creating a system image.
    Yeah, I changed the path to C:\ to hide the full user path for privacy but the backup is set to OFF anyway. Disabling the drive from the device manager is a great idea! Never occurred to me. Much better that 2 reboot!

But with what I've found with Dataram RAM disk still showing in the backup list with drive letter H:, I now wonder if it's simply the drive letter (H: in my case) that has been some how ''associated'' to the system drive list. That would be nearly impossible to correct as it must be somewhere deep in the registry. Unless someone know exactly where to look, my only option would be a fresh install of Windows or use a different letter than H:.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

In the Backup/Restore section, can you erase and leave blank the "C:\XFastRAM_Backup\" location?
    And yes, I did see that you have backup and restore options disabled.
    I'm assuming that our seeing OFF in each category really means that it is off.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

After changing the Dataram disk driver letter from H: to I: and rebooting, the RAM disk doesn't show in the backup drive list anymore. So it's really the drive letter H: itself, at the OS level, that as been somehow permanently tagged as a system drive... How this happened, I have no clue. It could still be Xfast that corrupted something along the way.

To find out, I will un-install Dataram RAM disk, re-install Xfast RAM as it was (with all the cache and temp redirection) and assign it to drive I:. If after all this the same bad thing happens to drive I:, I'll have my answer.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Interesting, I was going to suggest changing the drive letter, which you've done. I still must ask, did you ever clear the CMOS?

FYI, in my experimenting with changing a drive to active that was not an OS drive, I now have a PC that won't boot! That's ALL MY doing, and I'm fixing it now. I agree that the registry may be the source of all our problems. Not that it is somehow bugged, in my case this was a pure ID10T error!!

Have at it Prof. Jim!!

"You can't learn without making some mistakes along the way". ID10T

Dataram disk as drive I: didn't show in the backup list, but now the fresh re-install of Xfast RAM as drive I: DOES show up... sh*t! So I re-installed Dataram disk as drive H: along with Xfast as drive I: and guess what? Now I have H: *AND* I: that show up in the backup drive list. That's sad....

I don't know what it is, but Xfast RAM doesn't seem to play nice with Windows. I just put everything back the way it was before I started testing.

NOTE: I tried to disable the RAM disk by the device manger, unfortunately, the operation can't be done on the fly, the system, ask for a reboot for the change to take effect. So no easy bypass, still need to de-activate Xfast RAM and 2 reboot with every backup session.

What would be great is if someone would be able to install Xfast RAM, enable all the cache and temp redirection and validate if the drive appears in the the backup list. At least I would know if it's either my PC of Xfast.

Thanks to all for your help, I really appreciate it. I don't think we can investigate this issue any further without ASrock input. Unless someone has a new idea.

Regards,

Ramon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information