Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xfast RAM V2.0.28 conflict with Windows 7 Image Backup

Default Re: Xfast RAM V2.0.28 conflict with Windows 7 Image Backup

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    In the Backup/Restore section, can you erase and leave blank the "C:\XFastRAM_Backup\" location?
    No, you can't manually edit the field, you have to hit "browse" and choose a location.
    Last edited by ramon zarat; 01-22-2013 at 02:43 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Uhm, yeah, new idea, and one of those what was I (not) thinking moments...

Have you ever used the Windows diskpart command? As in the cmd command line interface? Start a cmd window (Admin) and type in this:

C: diskpart

Here's a picture of the rest:

Xfast RAM V2.0.28 conflict with Windows 7 Image Backup-diskpart-example-png

The two lines with REM (remark) are comment lines that do nothing, I just added those for explanation.

In my example I changed my 8GB RAM Disk, which is Disk 4 in the list. You MUST select the disk in order to work with it, as I did.

Disk Management verified that I could change any drive (partition actually) to active and back to inactive like nothing.

Let us know how it goes.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

WHAT!?! No 4k partition alignment?

Yeah...

How did you know I was just preparing to do a true UEFI/GPT Windows installation?

Why? Because it is there...

UEFI/GPT?
    Gesundheit!!

ps: showoff

Hey, you started it...

I thinking about buying Windows 8 while it is still at a price that is almost worth it ($40).

Otherwise, does your last Windows 95 floppy still work? I know you treasure it, but just asking...

Naw, I'm not that ancient.
    My w98se system probably still boots and runs like a tub of lard compared to my ultra modern P35 system.
    Are you that much of a masochist that you want to deal with win8 lack of compatibility poop?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I thinking about buying Windows 8 while it is still at a price that is almost worth it ($40).
    A fool and his money are easily parted.

Then again. maybe not. That pic shows you a firm believer in the 10% free rule using NTFS.
    Note(or FYI if you prefer); there is not, I repeat NOT, a requisite that upon unboxing a new HDD it must be filled to 90% to realize full performance of the tracks.

Me thinks you need to invest that hard earned $40 you're fixing to flush on Win8 into in some much needed HDD real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Naw, I'm not that ancient.
    Hey hey you two! Parsec, now you've gone and pestered him to the point where he feels the need to resort to throwing around petty words like "ancient'. That's got me feeling like Rodney Dangerfield this morning. I get no respect I tell ya. No Respect

Let's keep age out of this lest I dig out my retail boxed Windows for Workgroups 3.11 that came with a stack, and I do mean stack, of like something on the order of 9 floppies. I had the option of 3.5" or 5.25". Or receipts for $500.00 for a 500MB HDD from the now defunct(?) Computability. Or one showing four 1MB sticks of memory that was paid the exorbitant price of $480.00.

Romper Room with Miss Barbara and her Magic Mirror anyone? Kids today have no clue.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Uhm, yeah, new idea, and one of those what was I (not) thinking moments...

Have you ever used the Windows diskpart command?

Let us know how it goes.
    AFAIK, a RAM disk "state", or parameter if you will, is predetermined by it's programmer drivers and contrary to a physical drive, is reinitialized at every reboot. So, even if you change it from active to inactive with diskpart, it will be back to active again next reboot. That's my guess.

To answer your question, no, I never used diskpart on this rig. Beside, If you read the whole thread, the determination that active partition has nothing to do with the drive showing in the backup list has already been made. The problem is really that Windows backup sees the RAM drive as a "system" drive and it shouldn't.

At this point, I'm still trying to figure out if it's a unique defect in my PC, (drivers conflict, registry etc...) or if Xfast RAM is in fact broken. No one tried to install Xfast RAM 2.0.28 to replicate my issue with Windows backup... That would have been very nice but eh, northing's perfect.

Thanks anyway,

Ramon

Quote Originally Posted by ramon zarat View Post
    AFAIK, a RAM disk "state", or parameter if you will, is predetermined by it's programmer drivers and contrary to a physical drive, is reinitialized at every reboot. So, even if you change it from active to inactive with diskpart, it will be back to active again next reboot. That's my guess.
    Yet using the DISKPART command in a batch file or script to simply change the state would, if it does indeed stop the "disk' from being seen, alleviate the need for rebooting before backup/imaging. No (re-)initializing needed as all you're doing is changing it's state. That's my guess anyways.

RD_ONA.BAT and RD_OFFA.BAT

I'm no expert with Windows Power Shell but I think it can be done there too.

And bud, if I used the ram disk util and Windows Backup I(we) would certainly have been more help. Patience is a virtue. Someone will happen along here and answer this burning question.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information