Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Z77 OC Formula X-fire plug on motherboard-do you use it?

havasuphto is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock Z77 OC Formula X-fire plug on motherboard-do you use it?

I am planning on possibly using 2 AMD 7970(3gb vram) video cards in Crossfire on my Asrock Z77 OC Formula motherboard. I have a Thermaltake Smart M1000(1000 watt-bronze 80) power supply, which has sufficient power/plugs.
    My question is this; Item#39 on my motherboard is labeled "SLI/XFIRE _PWR1". How does the cover on this plug come off? Does it have retaining clip, or do I just pull the cover straight off.
    Next question is; in the owner's manual, page 42, it says-SLX-XFIRE Power Connector(4-pin SLI/XFIRE_PWR1); "It is not necessary to use this connector, but please connect it with a hard disk power connector when two graphics cards are plugged to this motherboard".

So, the obvious question is; do I need to plug in a hard drive power connector to this plug, when using 2 cards in X-fire, or not? This manual is so ambivalent and confusing.

synack is offline Member

Default Re: Asrock Z77 OC Formula X-fire plug on motherboard-do you use it?

Mine didn't have a cover. it's a male 4 pin connector on it's side. you plug it in from the "bottom side"
    Asrock Z77 OC Formula X-fire plug on motherboard-do you use it?-ocz77-png
    I interpret the manual to mean it's not required *unless* you are using 2 video cards in crossfire/slx.

From just now browsing pics on the 'net if you look at the SLI/XFIRE_PWR1 connector from the bottom up you'll find there is no cover.

Asrock Z77 OC Formula X-fire plug on motherboard-do you use it?-sli-xfire_pwr1-jpg

You'll notice the 4 pins of the molex just visible in the above pic.

As to connect it or not:

From > AnandTech - ASRock Z77 OC Formula Review: Living In The Fast Lane
    Code:
    The 4-pin molex on board for additional PCIe power is not really needed unless you are pushing for competitive overclocks, but I still had to use it to get dual 580s running with a stock system.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

synack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    From just now browsing pics on the 'net if you look at the SLI/XFIRE_PWR1 connector from the bottom up you'll find there is no cover.

Asrock Z77 OC Formula X-fire plug on motherboard-do you use it?-sli-xfire_pwr1-jpg

You'll notice the 4 pins of the molex just visible in the above pic.

As to connect it or not:

From > AnandTech - ASRock Z77 OC Formula Review: Living In The Fast Lane
    Code:
    The 4-pin molex on board for additional PCIe power is not really needed unless you are pushing for competitive overclocks, but I still had to use it to get dual 580s running with a stock system.

Neener.. I JUST beat you :P

synack for the win!
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    Neener.. I JUST beat you :P
    Teach me to waste valuable seconds enlarging the pic!

Next time synack. Next time.

havasuphto is offline Junior Member

Thanks all-I see that you plug in the four pin from the bottom, and use it for dual cards-thanks. Could they have put that plug just a little closer to a bottom mounted power supply?? And why bottom up? Why not just straight in? Oh well.....thanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by havasuphto View Post
    Could they have put that plug just a little closer to a bottom mounted power supply??
    Can't please everyone all the time :)

When they're placed in the middle of the board those who are anal with neat wiring whine because they have to drag a wiring harness across the board to clutter an otherwise neat appearance.

Agreed. It would be a tight fit here too. Neat though.

synack is offline Member

The form factor really calls for a pretty big case. so that little bit of extra space required between the board and power supply isn't that big of a deal. not in my massive 810 anyway.

Thread Information