Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual LAN Teaming?

Default Dual LAN Teaming?

Hi,

Im about to buy a 990FX Fatal1ty motherboard.
    However, I am uncertain about what the Dual Lan Teaming actually does.

I have to use a wireless internet connection on my PC. Hence, if I install two identical Wireless PCI cards on the MB, and make the proper installation according to the manual, would I then get twice the download speed as with one card only? Provided of course that my router can handle all this information fast enough.

BR,
    Anders
    Last edited by AndersCN; 01-21-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Default Re: Dual LAN Teaming?

You can't team wifi connections. Ok, disclaimer. You can't as far as I know. I've NEVER seen home/end user wifi hardware that would be even remotely possible.

Teaming is for the dual onboard ethernet NIC's.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    You can't team wifi connections. Ok, disclaimer. You can't as far as I know. I've NEVER seen home/end user wifi hardware that would be even remotely possible.

Teaming is for the dual onboard ethernet NIC's.

Thankyou very much for the prompt answer.

I think then that I will go for the 990FX Extreme4 board.
    By the way, any significant differences between the V12+2 and the 8+2 PWMs of the two boards in daily usage (X6 1100T BE CPU)?

BR,
    Anders

Without looking, while there may be some under-the-hood differences IMO so long as you're not shooting for a world record OC 8+2 is fine.

FYI, ASRock has just announced the 990FX Extreme9(<-Link) and some data on it is available on their website.

I'm reading in stores March early April. I'm hoping sooner as I have a burning itch to upgrade to it.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

kick is offline Senior Member

Just a qwik bit of info,relating to my p57 ext6 board.

I checked when buying the dual lan on mine is only usefull (maybe) if you have 2 seperate internet providers/connections and it will smooth out the transmission/download peaks and troughs,but the actual dload speed wont be faster than your highest speed connection.
    Thats how I understood it .(I was getting the board anyway, I just wondered would this dual lan mean double speed :) )

My board has v16+2 vr.. I think the ext 4(some asrock p67 anyway) version had something less like 8+2? or something..in a review..the ext 6 performed very marginally better on an overclock with the same components swopped over, but I think they even said at the time that could have been due to just reseating components /other aspects,even if the v's did seem slightly more stable.
    Last edited by kick; 01-21-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

synack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndersCN View Post
    Hi,

Im about to buy a 990FX Fatal1ty motherboard.
    However, I am uncertain about what the Dual Lan Teaming actually does.

I have to use a wireless internet connection on my PC. Hence, if I install two identical Wireless PCI cards on the MB, and make the proper installation according to the manual, would I then get twice the download speed as with one card only? Provided of course that my router can handle all this information fast enough.

BR,
    Anders
    That's interesting thought, Teamed WLAN. hmmm...
    Currently all wireless devices share bandwidth, therefore having two connect to the same channel would be pointless except maybe for redundancy.
    A multi-channel WAP that supports 802.11ad link aggregation could in theory support teamed interfaces. But as Wardog pointed out, I haven't heard of such a beast, and it wouldn't come cheap.
    The other issue is finding 2 clean channels to get full bandwidth lol. With 2.4Ghz wireless there are really only 4 channels, 1,6,11, and 14. all other channels overlap and cause interference.
    I have so many WAPs around me, that i'm contemplating wrapping my house in tin foil (and no, not for the aliens...)
    haha

iSCSI and a capable router.

Quite some time ago now I cobbled together Windows Storage Server 2k3, some HP/Intel NICs and my trusty GS-724T for some iSCSI fun.

synack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    Just a qwik bit of info,relating to my p57 ext6 board.

I checked when buying the dual lan on mine is only usefull (maybe) if you have 2 seperate internet providers/connections and it will smooth out the transmission/download peaks and troughs,but the actual dload speed wont be faster than your highest speed connection.
    Thats how I understood it .(I was getting the board anyway, I just wondered would this dual lan mean double speed :) )

My board has v16+2 vr.. I think the ext 4(some asrock p67 anyway) version had something less like 8+2? or something..in a review..the ext 6 performed very marginally better on an overclock with the same components swopped over, but I think they even said at the time that could have been due to just reseating components /other aspects,even if the v's did seem slightly more stable.
    The way teaming works, even in the enterprise is that any single connection can only use one interface. where teaming comes into play is in a "one to many" or "many to one" relationship.
    So teaming a server directly to a backup server is useless. that one connection will only ever use one link. but 1000 users connecting to a file server is a great use of teaming.

likewise, at home, downloading a 4GB iso image from microsoft wouldn't help at all... but say torrent downloads would be great.
    major stipulation here though... you can't just "plug in and go." some sort of hardware (like a switch or router) needs to maintain the link sessions and route to the multiple paths accordingly.

I assume the board's teaming will be 802.11ad teaming, which requires the switch to also support that. and that won't give you any "internet" improvements... so for the vast majority of end-users, (like 99.99%) teaming is totally useless. it's just one of those features included in the broadcom NIC chipset that looks good from a marketing point of view.

synack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    iSCSI and a capable router.

Quite some time ago now I cobbled together Windows Storage Server 2k3, some HP/Intel NICs and my trusty GS-724T for some iSCSI fun.
    One iSCSI initiator to one iSCSI target will never have access to more than a single link. it's just how 802.3ad works. great for redundancy if one link fails. but one-to-one, wont happen.
    Multiple initiators to a single target with link ag on it, is a whole other story.
    Last edited by synack; 01-21-2013 at 11:54 PM.

synack is offline Member

Oops.. where ever I said 802.11ad, I meant 802.3ad... damn IEEE numbering schemes....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information