Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: X79 Extreme 11 boots to UEFI and not windows every power on and restart

formula409x is offline Junior Member

Default Re: X79 Extreme 11 boots to UEFI and not windows every power on and restart

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Sorry, was not sure about your experience level. AFAIK, you can only use secure boot and Ultra Fast boot with Windows 8, even with Windows 7 installed in UEFI mode. Given the great (not) documentation in the board's manual, what settings need to be set to what for Windows 8 boot in UEFI or normal mode is unclear. I believe the CSM setting is related to fast booting in Windows 8, but I haven't looked into that.

Actually, I just tried a UEFI installation of Windows 7 yesterday, using the guide in sevenforums. Worked perfectly the first time. I used the UEFI USB flash drive method, with a Windows 7 iso file. Creating the USB installation is not that difficult as long as you are careful with each step. Instructions for Windows 8 are in the same guide. They describe two methods of creating the UEFI USB installation drive, one with the iso file, the other with an installation disk. You don't need both media, just one or the other.
    The problem still remains that the system boots into the UEFI rather then into Windows and still need to exit the UEFI before it will continue to load 8. I did notice that at time the loading of the OS wil take far longer then it should, half a minute or more. I have installed 8 on several machines and used Start8 to get rid of hot corners and get a workable start menu. I will not be going back to 7. I do like some of the new additions and features to the desktop portion of 8. The OS was installed in compatibility mode and not in UEFI mode since the EVGA GTX690 is not able to boot with UEFI. I did contact EVGA today and they sent me the BIOS to flash that allows secure boot to be used in order to perform a UEFI install of 8. Without that BIOS, when trying to perform a UEFI install it says VGA card not compatible with UEFI boot. Not sure about going though all this if this will not fix getting past the UEFI and into windows without me having to exit the UEFI every time i want to get back into windows. The board was far to expensive to have it acting this way.

Default Re: X79 Extreme 11 boots to UEFI and not windows every power on and restart

I contacted ASrock directly, took a while but when they did respond, i was told this:

Hi,

Please try go into the UEFI bios and under the advanced\storage configuration
    make the disable on bootable LSI controller " none"

What I really dislike is this. In my write up of the issue, I said that the LSI was not set to boot in the UEFI. Pretty pore help from them since they suggested i do something I said was already done. I did find in the OCW forums with a ASrock Z68M having the same issue but just suddenly started to happen after using the board for a while with no issue and out of 680 views, nobody has responded to him once and his original post was in July. I hope somebody out there can help.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by formula409x View Post
    The problem still remains that the system boots into the UEFI rather then into Windows and still need to exit the UEFI before it will continue to load 8. I did notice that at time the loading of the OS wil take far longer then it should, half a minute or more. I have installed 8 on several machines and used Start8 to get rid of hot corners and get a workable start menu. I will not be going back to 7. I do like some of the new additions and features to the desktop portion of 8. The OS was installed in compatibility mode and not in UEFI mode since the EVGA GTX690 is not able to boot with UEFI. I did contact EVGA today and they sent me the BIOS to flash that allows secure boot to be used in order to perform a UEFI install of 8. Without that BIOS, when trying to perform a UEFI install it says VGA card not compatible with UEFI boot. Not sure about going though all this if this will not fix getting past the UEFI and into windows without me having to exit the UEFI every time i want to get back into windows. The board was far to expensive to have it acting this way.
    I hope you use whatever OS you like, although Windows 8 seems to be more of an adventure with compatibility than previous versions.

My ASR boards UEFI help text for Fast Boot option states that for Ultra Fast boot to work in Windows 8, the video cards BIOS must be GOP compliant. IMO, that statement is only partially accurate, given your experience with your 690. I've seen other references to a GOP compatible video BIOS needed with Windows 8, but when the PC is booted in UEFI mode. I'm starting to wonder how good the UEFI boot capabilities of these supposedly compatible boards really are.

That is, because I'm having strange results after my first "successful" UEFI/GPT Windows 7 installation, that later failed to boot after a shutdown of the PC. I can't begin to describe all the things I've tried since I started this, but the latest one will give you some idea. My last attempt at a UEFI Win 7 install resulted in a plain old MBR/NTFS file system being installed, which boots just fine, with Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS/UEFI. That is supposed to be impossible according to what I've read. My point is, this all seems to be quite a mess, and I don't yet know who is right or wrong, the BIOS settings implementation, the UEFI Windows installer, or me...

I hope you use whatever OS you like, although Windows 8 seems to be more of an adventure with compatibility than previous versions.

My ASR boards UEFI help text for Fast Boot option states that for Ultra Fast boot to work in Windows 8, the video cards BIOS must be GOP compliant. IMO, that statement is only partially accurate, given your experience with your 690. I've seen other references to a GOP compatible video BIOS needed with Windows 8, but when the PC is booted in UEFI mode. I'm starting to wonder how good the UEFI boot capabilities of these supposedly compatible boards really are.

That is, because I'm having strange results after my first "successful" UEFI/GPT Windows 7 installation, that later failed to boot after a shutdown of the PC. I can't begin to describe all the things I've tried since I started this, but the latest one will give you some idea. My last attempt at a UEFI Win 7 install resulted in a plain old MBR/NTFS file system being installed, which boots just fine, with Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS/UEFI. That is supposed to be impossible according to what I've read. My point is, this all seems to be quite a mess, and I don't yet know who is right or wrong, the BIOS settings implementation, the UEFI Windows installer, or me...

I dont know.. I haven't attempted to do a UEFI install yet and dont have anything in the BIOS set for that,. Secure boot is off and compatibility mode is on. EVGA will supply a BIOS that will work with UEFI boot as long as your board supports secure boot. I sent them a request and they sent be the BIOS files to flash to the 690.

Guess what? I got myself into the automatic BIOS/UEFI entry for a bit. I was able to stop it, and perhaps the way I did it is related to your issue and might help.

In my case it was related to the "Install default security keys" that becomes active when Secure Boot is enabled. Of course I don't know if you clicked on the security keys, but I did. Once the keys are installed, that option becomes "Delete/Clear security keys". I thought I'd try that when I was stuck in the UEFI, and at first when I clicked it, a message said, "Keys are locked, restart", so I did. Automatically back in the UEFI again, click on that to clear it, which worked, and no more auto UEFI start.

I know, not what your settings are at now, but it might be worth a try enabling Secure Boot, and clearing those keys, if you ever used them or not. You may not agree, that's fine, just FYI.

Patre is offline Junior Member

I apologize for digging up this old thread, but it does pertain (somewhat) to my current issue....

My problem is the opposite of this issue: After an unsuccessful attempt aat updating to Win 8.1 (due to Intel's GPU driver issues), I did a clean install of Win 8 Pro with the an updated BIOS v2.30. I also started installing some of the AsRock utilites (Formula Drive, Rapid OC, Restart to UEFI, Instant Boot, XFast USB.....) as to test out their usefullness.

(BTW, this PC was built about 4 months ago and ths whole fiasco began with the update of Win 8.1 (a few weeks ago)).

Anyway, I was trying to disable my iGPU (in BIOS) so that I can use my dedicated GPU, but I'm unable to get into BIOS to do this. During bootup, I don't see the option anymore to press F2 (and whatever the other Function keys) that used to show before Windows boots. Before this current clean install, I somewhat remember setting up Fast Boot (not the Ultra Fast) in BIOS, but don't know if those settings are still active as I did reset the CMOS prior to this clean install and then also updated the BIOS.

As I'm not familiar with the Restart to UEFI utility (which I'm guessing should actually give me the option to get into BIOS before the Fast Boot takes effect), what are my options to be able to get into BIOS?
    I've also tried holding down the DEL key while boot up, but to no avail......I don't even see the AsRock splash screen on bootup (just a black screen, until Windows loads).....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
    Patre

Install the Restart to UEFI utility which works fine and is required to get into the BIOS when Ultra Fast boot is enabled. It is a program you run in Windows with two options, enable automatically entering the UEFI/BIOS on a restart, and to restart now if desired. I even use it if I don't have Ultra Fast boot enabled, just a convenience for entering the BIOS from Windows without pressing any keys.

I'm not sure what the Intel video driver issue you mentioned is with Windows 8.1, I updated to 8.1 from 8 while using the on-CPU graphics, and it worked fine. Of course I have no idea what board you are using.

Install the Restart to UEFI utility which works fine and is required to get into the BIOS when Ultra Fast boot is enabled. It is a program you run in Windows with two options, enable automatically entering the UEFI/BIOS on a restart, and to restart now if desired. I even use it if I don't have Ultra Fast boot enabled, just a convenience for entering the BIOS from Windows without pressing any keys.

I'm not sure what the Intel video driver issue you mentioned is with Windows 8.1, I updated to 8.1 from 8 while using the on-CPU graphics, and it worked fine. Of course I have no idea what board you are using.
    Thanks for the reply Parsec, I appreciate it.
    It's odd that my PC Specs aren't displayed.....(I filled it out during registration).

Anyway, these are my PC Specs:

AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula (BIOS 2.30)
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
    RAM : 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 1TB HDD : 3TB Sample HDD
    Win 8 Pro x 64
    CPU Cooler : Noctua NH-D14
    GPU : HIS IceQ Radeon 2GB HD 7870 (currently using CPU graphics via HDMI)
    PSU : Rosewill OCZ ZX Series 850W
    Case : Thor 2

I tried the UEFI utility last evening (I don't have Ultra Fast boot enabled.......at least that's what my profile was before doing the latest clean install), but still can't get into BIOS (rebooted after installing UEFI). I still don't get the AsRock splash screen with the option to enter BIOS.......(just a black screen for a few secs and also noticed on a few occassions (before windows is booted) that I have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to get it to move.......it then reboots and loads windows). I also have installed Instant Boot, but disabled it (within the software) to sort out this problem.

Should I reset the CMOS or is there a better solution to this? I just can't figure out why I can't get into BIOS???

Regarding the video driver issue with 8.1, I'm also one of the unfortunate ones that had issues with the 8.1 update: https://communities.intel.com/message/209593

I was only able to get into Windows 8.1 on 1 occasion (after the update), was able to check Device Mgr. on the status of the intel graphics HD 4000 driver, and found out: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43).

I was experiencing a continuous Blank Black Screen.....couldn't get back into Windows to update the driver (ironically, I was able to get into BIOS 2.30 without a problem) and there was nothing further I could d.......except a clean install of Win 8. Now, I'm unable to get into BIOS (Murphy's Law huh???.....:)).

I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Do you think resetting the CMOS and then updating the BIOS might resolve this?

The 2.30 BIOS only changes the Internet Flash sever URL. If you are having issues, and can't get into the BIOS, I would not suggest trying to flash a BIOS, particularly with the Windows program, which are the most failure prone versions.

You most definitely do not need Instant Boot, when using a SSD and Windows 8!! Get rid of that now, uninstall it and if there is a BIOS option for it, set it to disabled, reboot after removing it. Windows 8 has its own modified Hibernate that allows fast booting, it works fine so no need for the Instant Boot, which must be configured and installed correctly anyway (create special partition first, then install the driver.)

The ASR Splash screen may be disabled in the BIOS, check the Boot menu.

If the Intel graphics are causing problems, why not switch to the video card? If you install the card, remove any cables from the I/O panel for the onboard graphics, and connect your monitor to the video card, it should be used even without setting it in the BIOS.

What are you using for a keyboard?

I don't understand why the restart to UEFI program does not work for you. Did you run it, select "Enter UEFI on next boot" and "Reboot system immediately", and click Apply? That should take you right into the UEFI when the PC restarts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information