Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: X79 Extreme 11 boots to UEFI and not windows every power on and restart

Default Re: X79 Extreme 11 boots to UEFI and not windows every power on and restart

I'm betting it's the keyboard. Microsoft Sidewinder (x4?)

Plug it into I believe one of the two USB 2.0 ports above the PS/2 Keyboard port on the rear I/O panel.

Failing that, try a bone stock, no user definable keys/macros, no advanced functions, PS/2 or USB keyboard and retry.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Patre is offline Junior Member

Default Re: X79 Extreme 11 boots to UEFI and not windows every power on and restart

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The 2.30 BIOS only changes the Internet Flash sever URL. If you are having issues, and can't get into the BIOS, I would not suggest trying to flash a BIOS, particularly with the Windows program, which are the most failure prone versions.

You most definitely do not need Instant Boot, when using a SSD and Windows 8!! Get rid of that now, uninstall it and if there is a BIOS option for it, set it to disabled, reboot after removing it. Windows 8 has its own modified Hibernate that allows fast booting, it works fine so no need for the Instant Boot, which must be configured and installed correctly anyway (create special partition first, then install the driver.)

The ASR Splash screen may be disabled in the BIOS, check the Boot menu.

If the Intel graphics are causing problems, why not switch to the video card? If you install the card, remove any cables from the I/O panel for the onboard graphics, and connect your monitor to the video card, it should be used even without setting it in the BIOS.

What are you using for a keyboard?

I don't understand why the restart to UEFI program does not work for you. Did you run it, select "Enter UEFI on next boot" and "Reboot system immediately", and click Apply? That should take you right into the UEFI when the PC restarts.
    I didn't realize flashing the BIOS via the Windows program were prone to failure.....and that's what I've been using. I'll uninstall Instant Boot and check to disable it......(I only installed it as I posted this problem in the overclockers forum (Z77 OC Formula thread), and this is what a user recommended :(....) I did notice that my system takes a lot longer (than it used to) when waking up after sleep mode...I bet it's this Instant Boot thing. I was never sure which option to select when downloading the latest BIOS and always chose the Windows option. Considering that I can't get into BIOS, which other one should I use (Instant Flash or DOS)??? I haven't flashed the BIOS in either of these latter methods and would appreciate some guidance.

I'll also check the Boot Menu and see if it's disabled........but even though I can't see the splash screen, shouldn't pressing F2 during the boot process, take me into BIOS?

Thanks for reminding me on doing this......(connect the DVI to thevideo card......with all that's going on, I def. overlooked my DVI option and was sticking to the HDMI...duh!!).

Not sure why the UEFI program doesn't work....I've tried all that you've suggested, but when using "Reboot system immediately" and Enter BIOS at start up, it's justa black screen until Windows boots up. During the reboot process, just getting into Windows I have to toggle the Ctrl+Alt+Del to get it to work (it's hard to tell what's going on as I can't see what's happening.....my keyboard (Sidewinder x4) does light up on & off during this process).

Thanks again for the replies, I truly appreciate it as it gives me much hope in resolving this. :)
    Last edited by Patre; 12-17-2013 at 09:58 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Regarding the BIOS update, in general people using the Windows BIOS update tend to report the most failures. That type has a reputation for errors, whether it does or not. I understand that you have no choice in this case, so just a FYI.

It seems that wardog knows your keyboard can be an issue, but that does not explain why you seem to not be able to use the Restart to UEFI program. Or that you can get a Ctrl+Alt+Del to work, which points to the keyboard functioning fine.

I believe that doing the Ctrl+Alt+Del after running Restart to UEFI just cancels it out. That does not explain why it does not work in the first place. You can press F2 or the Del key to get into the BIOS.

Be sure to disconnect the HDMI cable to the monitor from the on board graphics, which should automatically switch you to the video card.

Good news.....I disconnected my HDMI and connected the DVI....got the His video card working.....just WOW!! Thanks for reminding me!! :)

I also uninstalled Instant Boot, but didn't get to spend much time looking into accessing the BIOS issue last evening....will do so tonight. Yeah, the keyboard seems to be working fine so I'm not going to mess with that. (BTW, I did and have pressed F2 or the Del key when rebooting, but nothing happens (at least that I can see....(black screen))....just haven't yet checked on this after I got my video card working).

I'll reboot tonight and hopefully will be able to get into BIOS....if not, what are my alternate options?

UPDATE:

Although I uninstalled Instant Boot, the settings in Win8 Power Mgt. still showed it as a default. Changed the settings in Win 8, rebooted, and was able to get into BIOS. The UEFI program also (now) works properly......Wooohhoooooo!!

Thank you very much Parsec for all the detailed advice and help in getting this sorted out, I'm truly grateful and do appreciate it.

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!! :)

Ok great, glad that worked for you!

It made no sense to install Instant Boot to "fix" your or any other problem. That almost sounds like a troll post to make things worse for you, but I really don't know.

If you are brave, you could try the onboard video now, just to see if it works. Still seems strange to me that the onboard video did not work, unless the BIOS detected the video card and set that as the default video device... which may be just what happened.

You have a Merry Christmas and great New Year!!

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Ok great, glad that worked for you!

It made no sense to install Instant Boot to "fix" your or any other problem. That almost sounds like a troll post to make things worse for you, but I really don't know.

If you are brave, you could try the onboard video now, just to see if it works. Still seems strange to me that the onboard video did not work, unless the BIOS detected the video card and set that as the default video device... which may be just what happened.

You have a Merry Christmas and great New Year!!
    To be fair to the guy that asked me to use Instant Boot, it wasn't meant as a "fix", but rather a suggestion to only have this AsRock utility (+ the AsRock Formula Drive) installed. Although I tried to get some more detailed info from him on my problem, I don't think he wanted to take the time and just gave general tips. (I'm so glad I found you guys here on this forum......you're a life saver!!....at least a PC saver!! :))

I actually did check my onboard video and it works.......I had to switch to onboard last evening as my PC was ON (after waking it up from sleep), but no display nor was the keyboard working. (I was using my HIS IceQ video card via DVI at the time.) Anyway, I connected the HDMI to onboard video and rebooted.....it worked (didn't know where to start looking for what caused this......checked device mgr. and both video drivers were installed/working properly). I powered down and this time I connected the HDMI to my HIS video card. Booted up and all worked as usual.....so, I'm not sure what happened??

I'm planning on getting another monitor sometime soon. Since my video card has both DVI & HDMI, can I plug both into the video card (without having any conflicts) ?

Ok, now that you explained the Instant Boot thing better, never mind...

You seem to have quite a gremlin in that PC, although sometimes the gremlin is the really the user... I'm not serious... well kinda...

Actually, video problems waking from Sleep are not uncommon. Check your BIOS for an option called "Check Ready Bit" and set it to enabled.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information