Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X79 Extreme 11 boots to UEFI and not windows every power on and restart

formula409x is offline Junior Member

Default X79 Extreme 11 boots to UEFI and not windows every power on and restart

Just built a system based on the ASrock x79 Extreme 11. Every time the system boots or is even restarted from windows it goes directly into the UEFI. In order to go into Windows 8, you have to exit the UEFI without saving and then it will load 8 and will run as expected. This is not a keyboard issue or anything attached to any USB port. everything can be disconnected besides the monitor and the same issue happens. The system is set to boot from 2 Corsair Force GT's in RAID 0 on the Intel controller and its confirmed that the selected boot drive is in fact the RAID drives. The UEFI does save the settings and no issues seem to be present.

Is there something Im missing that would cause the computer to boot to the UEFI? Even with the UEFI reset to defaults this happens.

Thanks

blindshot is offline Junior Member

Default Re: X79 Extreme 11 boots to UEFI and not windows every power on and restart

That is very odd?

Default Re: X79 Extreme 11 boots to UEFI and not windows every power on and restart

I'm thinking the below pages info is relevant here. If I used Win8 I could be more certain in my attempt at helping you.

I've seen references to this "issue' before and bookmarked the below page but have since decided to stay far away from Win8. Just not my bag of tea.

Secure Boot - Enable or Disable in UEFI
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

thanks for the reply, im going to try that. Its just strange that the board just boots into the UEFI rather than the OS. I know that 8 ties itself in, but will see.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    I'm thinking the below pages info is relevant here. If I used Win8 I could be more certain in my attempt at helping you.

I've seen references to this "issue' before and bookmarked the below page but have since decided to stay far away from Win8. Just not my bag of tea.

Secure Boot - Enable or Disable in UEFI

Just gave your suggestion a try but now it gets to the windows logo and restarts. Without secure boot, I can just exit the UEFI when it boots and Windows starts fine. It just shouldn't be that the system starts and loads the UEFI every time. Iv seen this kind of issue going back even in 2006 with BIOS. Just dont get it.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Yes others have reported this issue, and I don't know what the fix was in any case. Probably a long shot, but your use of Windows 8 is what triggered this in my mind.

Some ASR boards like yours have a Fast Boot option that can be set to "Ultra fast" or something like that, as well as another setting that needs adjustment, for use with Windows 8 only. That allows an extremely short POST process, that will match the very fast booting that Windows 8 provides. When that is enabled, the POST process before boot will not even allow you to get into the UEFI/BIOS. In that configuration, in order to get into the UEFI, you must install a special utility, called Restart to UEFI ver:1.0.1, for your board. I don't know the details, but you use it before you restart the PC, and it apparently starts the UEFI automatically (I may be wrong about the automatic part.) Sounds similar, doesn't it?

Did you happen to install that from the boards driver/utility disk? If so, it may be active but since you aren't looking for it, you are unaware. It may not be working right and is causing the automatic entry in the UEFI/BIOS you now have. Since your PC is a new build, you are not yet familiar with all the features, and just installed everything like you thought you should. I've done that too, but later reinstalled my OS, and only installed what I really needed, which is a fraction of what is provided by ASR. Again, just a thought.

Otherwise, I have seen a BIOS or two that "think" something is not configured correctly, or there is an error/problem in a setting, and is starting the UEFI/BIOS so you can "Fix" it. I imagine your top of the line board is loaded with settings in the UEFI, that IMO are poorly explained and documented, so who knows what is not right from its perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yes others have reported this issue, and I don't know what the fix was in any case. Probably a long shot, but your use of Windows 8 is what triggered this in my mind.

Some ASR boards like yours have a Fast Boot option that can be set to "Ultra fast" or something like that, as well as another setting that needs adjustment, for use with Windows 8 only. That allows an extremely short POST process, that will match the very fast booting that Windows 8 provides. When that is enabled, the POST process before boot will not even allow you to get into the UEFI/BIOS. In that configuration, in order to get into the UEFI, you must install a special utility, called Restart to UEFI ver:1.0.1, for your board. I don't know the details, but you use it before you restart the PC, and it apparently starts the UEFI automatically (I may be wrong about the automatic part.) Sounds similar, doesn't it?

Did you happen to install that from the boards driver/utility disk? If so, it may be active but since you aren't looking for it, you are unaware. It may not be working right and is causing the automatic entry in the UEFI/BIOS you now have. Since your PC is a new build, you are not yet familiar with all the features, and just installed everything like you thought you should. I've done that too, but later reinstalled my OS, and only installed what I really needed, which is a fraction of what is provided by ASR. Again, just a thought.

Otherwise, I have seen a BIOS or two that "think" something is not configured correctly, or there is an error/problem in a setting, and is starting the UEFI/BIOS so you can "Fix" it. I imagine your top of the line board is loaded with settings in the UEFI, that IMO are poorly explained and documented, so who knows what is not right from its perspective.

Thanks for the reply.

Having built many machines, I never use the included disk. I always download the newest drivers first and use those and try to stay away from installing anything not needed even utility wise. What I did try was using the fast boot and ultra fast and tried using the restart to UEFI utility, but that didn't help. As it stands, the system even in a disabled fast boot mode makes no attempt to enter the OS. Even before installing 8 and checking out the settings, on a reboot i noticed this behavior one time once so im at a loss on that.

Iv seen that you can install 8 in UEFI mode, but you have to go through a few hoops if using a USB stick and im not sure, perhaps from a DVD too. Seems that is necessary to use in order to use fast or ultra fast boot and secure boot. So far, enabling secure boot will get past the UEFI and the windows log shows up but them reboots. In order to enter windows as normal, secure boot must be off and when the system starts, the UEFI automatically opens, I hit exit without saving and windows 8 loads like it should.

blindshot is offline Junior Member

Your motherboard bios 2.00 11/27/2012 DOS 5.31MB 1. Support UEFI PXE boot. What bios are you using now?

Quote Originally Posted by blindshot View Post
    Your motherboard bios 2.00 11/27/2012 DOS 5.31MB 1. Support UEFI PXE boot. What bios are you using now?

Im using the newest 2.20. I also do not use the network booting through PXE. There is an area in the UEFI for downloading the new versions of the UEFI and there is a DHCP setup, wonder if that is an issue if it on. Will have to see and will report if it makes a difference.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by formula409x View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Having built many machines, I never use the included disk. I always download the newest drivers first and use those and try to stay away from installing anything not needed even utility wise. What I did try was using the fast boot and ultra fast and tried using the restart to UEFI utility, but that didn't help. As it stands, the system even in a disabled fast boot mode makes no attempt to enter the OS. Even before installing 8 and checking out the settings, on a reboot i noticed this behavior one time once so im at a loss on that.

Iv seen that you can install 8 in UEFI mode, but you have to go through a few hoops if using a USB stick and im not sure, perhaps from a DVD too. Seems that is necessary to use in order to use fast or ultra fast boot and secure boot. So far, enabling secure boot will get past the UEFI and the windows log shows up but them reboots. In order to enter windows as normal, secure boot must be off and when the system starts, the UEFI automatically opens, I hit exit without saving and windows 8 loads like it should.
    Sorry, was not sure about your experience level. AFAIK, you can only use secure boot and Ultra Fast boot with Windows 8, even with Windows 7 installed in UEFI mode. Given the great (not) documentation in the board's manual, what settings need to be set to what for Windows 8 boot in UEFI or normal mode is unclear. I believe the CSM setting is related to fast booting in Windows 8, but I haven't looked into that.

Actually, I just tried a UEFI installation of Windows 7 yesterday, using the guide in sevenforums. Worked perfectly the first time. I used the UEFI USB flash drive method, with a Windows 7 iso file. Creating the USB installation is not that difficult as long as you are careful with each step. Instructions for Windows 8 are in the same guide. They describe two methods of creating the UEFI USB installation drive, one with the iso file, the other with an installation disk. You don't need both media, just one or the other.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information