Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASrock Xfast ram utility-need help

havasuphto is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASrock Xfast ram utility-need help

I think I have the problem "solved". I decided that since I had the ram disk, and couldn't get rid of it, or make it larger, that I would re-install the Asrock utility software. After I installed the software, the ASR_RAM disk on F, was gone!!!
    So, I enabled the ram disk again-but this time with 8bg of ram(I have 32gb), and it allowed me to do that, and change the drive letter.
    So apparently, something went wrong during the initial install, or ??? But, I'm now able to "stop" the ram drive, and I think I'm able to get rid of it if I want to. But, this has been a very frustrating experience.

Of those of you that have RAM drives, and do video editing or photoshop(assuming your using win? 64 bit), and have 32gb of ram-what size would you say worked the best? I realize there is no "magic number", and I also realize that in the event of a power failure, anything on the ram drive is gone......just wondering if 8gb is too big/small???
    Also, I have the following settings; ready boost(230mb-should I make this larger/smaller?) ON, basically I have all the options set to ON, and backup Xfast RAM checked(I realize this will cause a big slowdown on shutdown, as the files in the ram drive are written to the SSD drive-but before I had this checked, I had to log into each website I was a member of, each time I booted the computer-big PITA)-should I not have that checked??

Thanks for the help.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Ready Boost is a relic feature from XP, where a USB flash or other drive was used as extra memory, you don't need that at all with all your memory and a SSD, turn that off.

Why turn all the options on? Are you using all the browsers listed? All that does is create cache folders on the RAM drive that you're not using.

The pagefile on it is also a complete waste, why ASR put that on there makes no sense. The pagefile is used instead of memory when a PC has very little memory, 4GB or less. The pagefile is normally on a regular disk, so is super slow compared to memory. Think about it, put the pagefile in RAM memory (disk) when the pagefile is used to replace memory you "don't have", but you really have so much memory that the pagefile will never be needed. So you put the pagefile in RAM, which reduces the amount of RAM available to the PC for use, which could then cause the pagefile to be used due to lack of memory? Is that crazy, or what?

I turned on the pagefile on this RAM disk when I had 16GB of memory. The space was allocated on the RAM drive, but never used! I checked the Windows Resource monitor, and it showed I wrote nothing to the pagefile. Turned that off, lesson learned.

The temporary files on RAM disk is a good thing, it will speed up anything using temporary files. But if you might need something in a temp folder, it is gone if you shutdown.

The browser cache on a RAM disk is good, but with the drawback you've seen. When you login to a website and save the password, a "cookie" is saved in the browser cache that allows the automatic login when you go to a website. But put the cache in a RAM disk and turn off the PC, those cookies are gone. That's why you need to login, but that only happens if you shutdown the PC. Apparently, backing up the RAM disk is not restoring the cookies, you said you checked the backup option, but you still had to login with a RAM disk backup?

The size of the RAM drive for media editing depends on the size of files you are working with. If one or more of the files you have open add up to less than 8GB, then that amount is fine. If not, make it larger. It depends on your usage.

havasuphto is offline Junior Member

I mentioned that it wasn't saving my browsing log-in's-but, since I have the box checked that backs up the ram drive on shut-down, I'm assuming it writes the cookies and temp files onto the SSD drive. I'd rather have it do that once on each shutdown, than multiple times. so that works.
    I will turn off ready boost, and page file-since with even 24gigs of available ram, i don't think I even need a page file, do I?? And, can I change the drive that the page file is written to in Windows 7?? Or do I even need pagefile.sys?
    I use firefox mostly. but I don't see any harm in leaving IE checked also, for now.

As for temp files, the program has that little box at the bottom to save the files on the ramdisk to the SSD drive. It takes a bit longer to shut-down and start up, but I don't care about that.

Also, I discovered why I had the problem. what you need to do to remove or change the size of the ramdisk, is to first push "stop", before turning off all the little buttons. once you just turn off the little buttons, "stop" disappears, and the button is replaced with "apply". so while I was turning off all the programs from writing to the ramdisk, I never stopped it. so it was going to be there forever until it was stopped by the program that made it.

Question; if the temp directly on the ram disk gets full-will it automatically switch to the temp file on the SSD/OS drive?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information