Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Forum's "Search this forum" doesn't seem to work. Why?

Unhappy Forum's "Search this forum" doesn't seem to work. Why?

This forum's "Search this forum" doesn't seem to work. Why?

Ref: Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3

After I type my ASRock's MB model info into the 'Search this forum's' dialog, the result I get is a list of topics on every motherboard that ASRock has ever made, instead of topics on the one I asked for. It does NOT weed-out the irrelevant ones, leaving only my motherboard. Occassionally, one may show up, but I have to scroll through numerous pages to find my model.

Why?
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

Default Re: Forum's "Search this forum" doesn't seem to work. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by LECBOATER View Post
    This forum's "Search this forum" doesn't seem to work. Why?

Ref: Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3

After I type my ASRock's MB model info into the 'Search this forum's' dialog, the result I get is a list of topics on every motherboard that ASRock has ever made, instead of topics on the one I asked for. It does NOT weed-out the irrelevant ones, leaving only my motherboard. Occassionally, one may show up, but I have to scroll through numerous pages to find my model.

Why?
    FYI, your ASRock MB model is - Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. Not Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3. Z68 Motherboard Series Manufacturing - ASRock Inc.

Try it. You'll like the results better than with the mis-typed search terms you originally used.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Try a google search using:
    z68 extreme3 gen3 site:forums.tweaktown.com

You can try using the forum's advanced search feature, type in the keywords +z68+extreme3+gen3 and select "Search Titles Only"
    Either way, you will get 400+ hits.
    Last edited by profJim; 01-31-2013 at 01:10 AM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thanks guys! Correct spelling makes a difference. LOL. But, in my case it still didn't give me what I expected.

After pasting what Wardog suggested "Z68 Extreme3 Gen3" into the dialog, the page that loaded with 25 topics had only 4 results for the parameters I chose. I didn't waste time looking through the other numerous pages for matches to my query, since I expected my 1st page to have 'only' the topics related to my query. Instead, it had 21 topics headers totally unrelated to my "Z68 Extreme3 Gen3." Therefore, I have to conclude that the forum doesn't work as it should. Note: I hate everything Google and will never use it. I shouldn't have to 'Google' issues related to products I bought from ASRock, or any other company. I know this is a users forum and is not ASRock's technical support avenue. But, you kind folks have far more experience than I do with boards and issues like mine. That's why I'm here.

Nevertheless, I thank you for replying. Very kind of you.

I'm simply trying to find a complete "Step-by-Step Tutorial" on how to install a brand-new WD hard disk drive, Win7 Pro 64-bit OS, etc. with this MB and its Z68 BIOS version. In the past, I've read numerous comments about avoiding certain ASRock utilities, BIOS versions, etc. I want to avoid the pitfalls before I begin doing something wrong. I can't find such a step-by-step procedure even though I expected to find one on this ASRock forum. If you know of one, I am truly hoping it is up-to-date, and not several years old. For instance, which utilities will I need to have on-hand (on a CD or external USB drive) before I begin. Things like that.
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

Quote Originally Posted by LECBOATER View Post
    I'm simply trying to find a complete "Step-by-Step Tutorial" on how to install a brand-new WD hard disk drive, Win7 Pro 64-bit OS, etc. with this MB and its Z68 BIOS version. In the past, I've read numerous comments about avoiding certain ASRock utilities, BIOS versions, etc. I want to avoid the pitfalls before I begin doing something wrong. I can't find such a step-by-step procedure even though I expected to find one on this ASRock forum. If you know of one, I am truly hoping it is up-to-date, and not several years old. For instance, which utilities will I need to have on-hand (on a CD or external USB drive) before I begin. Things like that.
    So that we other Users here know what you have there system-wise, please go HERE, scroll down and fill in the "System Specs' and select Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Hi, Wardog. My system specs are listed in my 'Signature' on each of my posts. The only one not there is the BIOS version. I don't have access to that computer, since it won't boot. Drive died suddenly after only 1-1/2 years! I ordered a newer version of that WD Caviar Black 500GB drive (64MB Cache. The one that died had 32MB Cache). I'm using my old WinXP Pro computer right now until I get my main computer running again. As far as I remember, the BIOS is the "default" BIOS that came with the MB. I've never had any issues with it. I was careful to not install the wrong version -- Ivy Bridge.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

When you use the forum search for Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, the results are as if you searched using Z68 OR Extreme3 OR Gen3 and the search results are from most recent to oldest threads.

Parsec is a very knowledgeable forum member with Intel/ASRock systems.
    He recently posted an ordered list of the required installation drivers and ASRock software.

Before you install win7, it's best if your hard drive (or an ssd) as the only drive in your system and it is empty, except for only one properly sized partition for windows.
    You might be able to choose the partition size when installing windows, but I've only installed win7 where I've already created a 4K-aligned o/s partition.
    If you have multiple partitions on the drive, windows might put the hidden Recovery partition or MBR in the "wrong" place.
    I wasn't able to find Parsec's post with his suggestions.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

ProfJim -- Thanks!

I spent some time experimenting with various Boolean parameters. Some worked; some didn't. However, after spending too much time, I finally found a significant "culprit" to my problem. I changed the sort option from Date to Relevance, and that solved the issue. I must have changed it a year ago and forgot that I did? It's too bad that the Advanced Search options don't include a choice of searching for only instances of literal Strings (such as when using "...." quote marks). Anyway, I'm happy now.

I probably should start a new topic about my request to get a step-by-step procedure to re-install my hardware and software. My new disk drive is arriving today, so I'll be desperate for help in order to begin the tasks.

It's now over a year after I bought my ASRock MB and I have no idea what changes (if any?) have been made by ASRock pertaining to updated BIOS's, drivers, etc. specific to my Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board.

Thank you all for helping me!

Thread Information