Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 970 Extreme 3 SLOW Boot

harleyman is offline Junior Member

Default Re: 970 Extreme 3 SLOW Boot

Ok... Now I'm really confused.....

I reset the CMOS...It took...

I booted off the Vista 64 disk

Went into advanced drive options to format

It says.. Windows can NOT Install to this as the disk is of the GPT Partition style ?? Huh ???

Thats as far as I can go now...

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    harleyman,

No. What parsec is asking is to just clear the BIOS using the CLRCMOS1 header and jumpering to pins 2-3 for 15secs and then returning the cap to pins 1-2.

Then after booting immediately afterwards "Load UEFI Defaults" in the Exit tab of the BIOS, and then reset any settings you use in other parts of the BIOS.

Good grief... I sorta did that...

i reset the CMOS..then tried to reinstall Vista..but it would not allow me to

so i went back into the BIOS and set it to boot off the DVD then the HDD (both NOT EUFI) and it now won't boot... ?

I am wondering why change a bios that has worked for years ????? It has me totally confused...Gonna loose my mind soon..lol

It appears you're doing more steps than asked when you might not need to. Do what is posted please and post back what the boot order looks like.

Take a deep breath and slow down there. We're trying to help but with the Wife reigning down 1000 lashes upon you egging you faster by one step ahead of us, this isn't helping us help you.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Ughhhh.. I was under the impression he also suggested I reinstall Vista 64..

So i cleared the CMOS and tried to install Vista.. But it refuses to let me use this GPT partition( I have never seen that partition style before too)

So..I tried to go back into windows, as it was not formatted yet, and it will not boot , and I can't set it to show Windows Boot manager first , or at all..no combination of boot orders have allowed me into windows again..

and she says she needs to screenshot her Win Live mail for the incomming and outgoing server info as it just all changed for her Bellsouth.net accounts....OMG..I need that drink..many thanks...lol

Here is what i don't understand...

Why does Vista 64 NOT allow me to install on this drive, But Win 7 64 will ? What is it about a GPT partioion is so different??

BTW.. thank you all for your help.

Would it be easier to just buy a new HDD? One that is NOT a GPT one? i have no clue where or how I even had this new terabyte drive... But I am suspisious that it was from a Seagate USB case that was shipped to me as an RMA drive, and maybe should have gone back into that removable case ?

IDK..I need a drink...lol
    Last edited by harleyman; 02-02-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Ok... UPDATE...

I was able to slave said HDD onto another comp.. Using a DOS program I was able to repartition it , changing the HDD from a GPT to a NTFS... Suscess..

However... Once I went to install Vista back onto the drive, it longer said that i couldn't, instead once passed the advanced install feature, I got an error saying that windows could not format the drive, even though its now labeled as a primary...

Gonna pull the drive again, and run seatools on it I believe ... Maybe that will set it properly...yikes..

I'm just to freaking old to go back to school... I just wanna watch the superbowl in peace...the Lil' lady is Livid by now....hahahaha

Again guys that are helping...You have been a great resorse to me, and I am slow, but learning...Please don't think i am not gratefull... I am very much so...

Only have the hard drive you wish to install Vista to installed and connected.

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    I'm just to freaking old to go back to school... I just wanna watch the superbowl in peace...the Lil' lady is Livid by now....hahahaha
    Meh, never too old

Screenshots of her email program? Too busy whipping on you to write the pertinent info down huh. Figures. I must be married to her sister as I too suffer at the hands(and pans!) of my Wife when things run amok that were none of my doings.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Most hard drive manufacturers have a program that will write zeroes to the first several hundred megabytes (or more).
    This should remove and GPT sectors that might still remain.
    When you create your new primary NTFS partition, make sure that it is Active (i.e. bootable).
    Was your Seagate hard drive the only drive (other than optical) that was connected when you tried to install the operating system?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

They ARE sisters. lol

This HDD drive is active, and a MBR drive now..

BUT... Its read only , and windows can't write to it now...go figure...

so.. If I can change this, I have it made i think...

No.. I did have a WD Raptor installed at that time...But now the drive is again slaved to another shop computer, and I see the drive, but have no idea how to make it a read/write drive...

So..That seems to be my last hump, so to speak, cause Lord knows its not gonna hapen for me until i fix this dealio...Ughhhh

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

I'm not familiar with Seagate hard drives.
    What is the full model name of the Seagate?
    Make sure that there isn't a jumper pin setting for read only access.

Run Disk Management on your other computer and click Properties for your Seagate drive.
    Click on the Security tab and see what it says for write and modify access for different user accounts.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Well... I too was not familiar with Seagate drives..

But I ran a DOS command... Listed the volumes , selected the RAW one, and tried to set the readonly attributes , and that was as far as it would go..

So...Looks like its a bust on this drive...What a shame, its bran new...maybe I will call Seagete and threaten to throw it out the window haha..

I think for now I have to go get my Truck outta the shop sporting 4 new ball joints, fresh oil, fresh anti-freeze and tranny fluid... Oh..Lets not forget about a new serpentine belt and two rad hoses... Can you say I'm BROKE..

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions... I'll take it up with seagate maybe..or break down and get a new T drive..i have a new 640 G..but...NOOOO she wants a T ...OMG..princess..lol

You all have a great weekend...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information