Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Computer reboots after shutdown.

RobBraz is offline Junior Member
    253 Winfield Road Jandowae, Qld Australia

Default Computer reboots after shutdown.

I recently rebuilt my computer using your Asrock ad2700-ITX with a new Power supply and a Western Digital Blue Caviar HHD.

But the computer doesn't shut down properly...instead reboots after the screen goes blank, beginning with AsRock opening page.

I usually close it by pressing the main button and turning the power off. I am wondering will this cause future problems? Also it would be nice to just turn it off and walk away.

I am also not able to get into the set up page from Asrock...it wants my administrator number. I'm not sure I ever entered one...but I could access the set up by using F2 or F8 buttons. No longer.

How can I change or enter an administrator number now?

Hopefully you will send me some info i can understand as well. I'm not that up to date on all things
    technical.

I have activated Instant Boot

Regards RobBraz.

bmore is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Computer reboots after shutdown.

I'm not familiar with your motherboard, but I am familiar with your problem. Some network drivers have default settings where the wired or wireless network adapter can "wake" or "start" the computer. On my laptop when I first came across this problem, the BIOS was not set with the network device in the boot devices list. Don't quote me, but I believe the adapter's default settings and the BIOS boot devices settings are two independent and separate things.

In my LAN, if one computer is connected and running, and any other is set to wake on magic packet, it will restart on its own. I'm using Windows, and the operating system scans the local network at regular intervals to detect newly connected or disconnected devices. It seems that the scan wakes up the laptop, but then again, a video game console configured to connect to a media server might also do it. I'm still trying to understand exactly why it happens, since I would like to boot and access a computer remotely, but it's not a high priority at the moment.

Check your network adapter's settings, and see if it is set to wake on magic packet, pattern, or both. If it is, disable this setting, save, exit, and then shutdown your computer. If it stays off, you've found your problem.

bmore is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Computer reboots after shutdown.

As to getting back into the BIOS, I'm not sure it will work, but you could try resetting the BIOS to its default factory settings by using the appropriate jumper setting, or removing the CMOS battery. There used to be software utilities that you could run at start up that could use brute force to reset or reveal the password. As to what one, if any will work, or where to download them, I don't know. Do if you haven't yet, you should try resetting the BIOS first.

Thread Information