Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Extreme9 wont shut off / reset button no longer works

buzby is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock Extreme9 wont shut off / reset button no longer works

As the title says, for some reason during my fresh build with this mobo the reset stopped working and when I try to shut down from windows it closes out windows but remains running.

This is all brand new, the computer case is new, mobo new, power supply new. I had another mobo in here before the Asrock and the reset worked fine. It also worked fine when I switched out for the Asrock but for some reason within a couple days the reset button no longer has any effect, windows would shut down but not turn the power off.

The reboot from windows works fine shuts the power down and automatically restarts.

This is a stumper

Default Re: Asrock Extreme9 wont shut off / reset button no longer works

**bump**

kick is offline Senior Member

Just for a reply..I never connected up reset on my board even tho there is a switch on the case.
    I wouldnt like to interrupt the posting process(or the standard 3 attempts to post,which you can vary.
    If the pc locked in windows for somereason Id just power down,rather than trying a "fast reset".
    Cant help on the exact problem tho.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    Just for a reply..I never connected up reset on my board even tho there is a switch on the case.
    I wouldnt like to interrupt the posting process(or the standard 3 attempts to post,which you can vary.
    If the pc locked in windows for somereason Id just power down,rather than trying a "fast reset".
    Cant help on the exact problem tho.
    Thanks you for the reply. Yes that is true, I usually use reset only during the bios boot if needed rather than windows, but I am concerned more so with why it suddenly stopped.

The bigger problem is when I try to shut down from windows it closes out windows but remains running.

Any help would be appreciated.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Assuming all the connections are correct, meaning the power and reset button connections, and they were not disturbed, have you tried a BIOS clear?

When you installed the new board, etc, did the wiring for the switches get damaged, or are pinched when the sides of the case were closed? I think a check of all the wiring, including power supply connections, is a good idea. You've got a lot going on in that PC, and when anyone gets tired of installing all the hardware, and just wants it to be done with, mistakes can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Assuming all the connections are correct, meaning the power and reset button connections, and they were not disturbed, have you tried a BIOS clear?

When you installed the new board, etc, did the wiring for the switches get damaged, or are pinched when the sides of the case were closed? I think a check of all the wiring, including power supply connections, is a good idea. You've got a lot going on in that PC, and when anyone gets tired of installing all the hardware, and just wants it to be done with, mistakes can happen.
    Yes I did. No explanation at this point, just thought if this was something others were going through I might hear something back. Guess it is just me.

Thread Information