Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 Extreme4 BIOS Debug LED F9

RegPulp is offline Junior Member

Default Z77 Extreme4 BIOS Debug LED F9

my bios started updating through the UEFI (first time i've ever used this method, never again)

it downloaded the bios, then started processing it, it then came up with "preparing crashless feature" or words to that effect, then got stuck..... i waited for ten minutes (i did not want to touch it in case it was doing something), i looked insode the case at the Debug LED, it was saying

F1, F2, F9.... then it would loop again after about a minute.

at this point i didn't know what these codes meant.... but i knew it was bad!

anyway looked on this forum, found out it means the system was trying to recover the bios, but it can't find the bios image in the recovery system

i have to say here, isn't the whole point of bios recovery systems in place to actually recover!!!!!

anyway, i have emailed asrock technicle support, i'm hoping that someone can send me a new bios chip to put in,

the company i got it from was nothing but greef back in augest, they were a nightmare, and i'd rather not have to go down thar route if i can help it, i know it will take ages and that's assuming they don't loose the board.

any help or tips, perhaps ways of getting the system back, or suggestions that can help me sort this problem out would be great,

EDIT, just found this

0xF1 Recovery condition triggered by user (Forced recovery)
    0xF2 Recovery process started
    0xF3 Recovery f rmware image is found
    0xF4 Recovery f rmware image is loaded
    0xF5-0xF7 Reserved for future AMI progress codes
    0xF8 Recovery PPI is not available
    0xF9 Recovery capsule is not found
    0xFA Invalid recovery capsule

i'm concerned by the F9, i thought F9 was image not found, now i'm confused, hope someone can help, i feel like i've lost my left arm now my computer is down!
    Last edited by RegPulp; 02-03-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: correction

Default Re: Z77 Extreme4 BIOS Debug LED F9

FWIW, the "0xF9 Recovery capsule is not found" is what's listed in the Extreme4 manual.

Always reference the manual first.

I'm not sure(meaning wait for ASRock reply!) if you might be able to place the Instant Flash ROM bios file on a FAT32 USB stick in a rear I/O panel USB 2.0 slot and see if it might also search for the existence it there also.

Is it still looping, or have you powered it down?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

no i have powered it down, i was just wondering if the system is looking for a bios image could i put it on a floppy or usb memory stick,

i know that in the past ASROCK has always been behind the standards when it comes to including emergency bios recovery systems, but i'm not sure if that is still the case?

i have contected ASrock through there website, i've also found a ebay person who does them, but he needs to ship them from USA, but apparently the shipping is free?, but of course it's going to take quite sometime to get over here (UK), so i was hoping to avoid this option, it's also around £12.

i have done hundreds of bios updates through windows, only ever had trouble a few times, but never a BIOS missing ...... from BIOS

oh, it was purchased from WAE+, it was sent to wrong address, then it was delayed twice, then it was sent back to warehouse instead of to me, it had to be sent again from germany from scratch.... all in all it was about 5 weeks late, i really don't want to go through them with RMA, it's a brilliant motherboard, just need a BIOS chip and i'll be ready to go (assuming there easy to pull out and replace of course.... never done one before!)

so any word on BIOS recovery through floppy or memory stick?

EDIT, actually now thinking about it, would me replacing the BIOS chip void the warranty?
    i'm a little reluctant now keeping that option on the table,

well, hopefully someone from ASRock will gen in touch, does anyone know how long it takes on average to get a reply from ASRock?
    Last edited by RegPulp; 02-04-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RegPulp View Post
    i know that in the past ASROCK has always been behind the standards when it comes to including emergency bios recovery systems, .......
    Citation needed please.

I can't for one iota of time imagine ASRock, nor any MB manufacturer for that matter, would knowingly or unknowingly alter/change what is provided them by the BIOS manufacturer in terms of BIOS recovery. Purely a BIOS related operation.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Hy,

I just had the same problem, there are 2 possible solutions:

1.) Download the Instant Flash BIOS from ASRock > Z77 Extreme4 and put it on a FAT32 formatted USB stick into a (grey) USB2 Port, then start the computer and wait, if it reboots..

or if that does not work:

2.)
    a.)Download Download Hewlett- Packard HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool | PCWorld the HP Disk format tool,
    b.)Download the dosbootdisk.zip‎ from the first post of this forum: [How-To] BIOS zerschossen ? Wie kann ich es wieder richten ?, unzip them in a folder xyz
    c.)Download the Instant Flash BIOS from ASRock > Z77 Extreme4
    d.)Format an USB Stick as FAt32 with „Create a DOS startup disk“ checked and „using DOS system files located at:“ for the files-folder downloaded at step b)
    e.)Copy the BIOS to the freshly formatted USB stick, create a autoexec.bat file (with windows editor) onto the usb stick, just write the BIOS-filename into the autoexec.bat
    f.)insert USB-stick into (grey) USB port, start pc and wait

the first method worked fine, thanks VERY VERY much, got my system back, yey!!!

thankyou!

pcsst is offline Junior Member

[QUOTE=wilbur.walsh;449741]Hy,

I just had the same problem, there are 2 possible solutions:

1.) Download the Instant Flash BIOS from ASRock > Z77 Extreme4 and put it on a FAT32 formatted USB stick into a (grey) USB2 Port, then start the computer and wait, if it reboots..

Thank you so much for this post - now have my system back after trying many other options. It's unbelievable that there is no mention of this procedure in the manual.

Thanks again!

Thread Information