Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASrock X79 Extreme 6 XMP problems?

captkirk is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASrock X79 Extreme 6 XMP problems?

Yes i manually set timings at 8-8-8-24-1T and bios sets voltage to 1.604V.........I have i7 3930K OC to 4.2 Ghz by using just multiplier X 42

Phew. Almost had me there as I'm not used to looking at screenies of Intel ram divisors CPU-z.

Not using XMP, go into the BIOS, and while referring to the specs under the XMP line in that grab, set them manually to 2133, 11-11-11-30 with a tRC of 41, 2T, and also manually, their voltage to 1.6v. Leave at Defaults all other settings under the timings page in the BIOS. Revert back to Defaults any you may have changed. If in doubt reset/clear the BIOS and then follow up with your needed changes elsewhere but set only those above for memory timings.

Post back the results.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 02-06-2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: added "to 2133'
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Do set the command rate to 2T or 2N whatever your BIOS references command rate as.

If the 2133 run fails, drop the speed back to 1866, still at 2T command rate and still at 1.6v leaving all other timings as they are and retry.

The 3930K is IIRC rated at 4 sticks running 1600 so could be hit or miss if the 2133 runs w/o some serious work/voltages. I'm hoping 1866 at the 2133 timings/voltage on that CPU-z you posted works though.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Still can't get it to post at 2133/1866 all manual just as you described, two very strange things in mem configs, i have no tRC 41 option just a tRFC which is set at 128.....And command rate is set to auto at 1N and under descriptions it says 1N/MIN: 3N/MAX if i try to change it manually to 2N or 3N it will not let me? As soon as i hit F10 or click mouse, it just reverts back to auto?

Well hmmmm ......... We've gotta get that changed to 2T/2N.

Are you still on that BETA BIOS? If you are, don't revert back just yet.

What is shown for the setting "Load XMP Setting"?

No, I have reverted back to bios version 2.20 because beta did not work. Under load XMP setting it says XMP 1.2 profile 1 DRAM-2133 11-11-11-30 1.600V. Another note on tryng to change CR, when i click on auto to change it to 2N, there is no option to select either 2N/3N. I have to manually type in 2N and when i try to save/exit or do anything it just goes back to auto on its own?

kick is offline Senior Member

"Its life Jim ,but not as we know it"

Aside from the other posters suggestions..

1.Are you trying to run quad channel/are the sticks matched for that?..if you are I dont know much about the process.but Im sure the memory would need to be "tightly binned"
    if not.
    Then

2.Get a copy of AiDA64 or sisoft Sandra or even cpuz pc wizard and check the secondary memory timings that "should be read" automatically from the xmp.You should be able to see them when you click on the memory modules in hardware analysis.
    You will also see the secondary figures for 11-11-11-30 at 838 or 1676 mhz(one of the jedec timings on your modules)

3. set your pc to read the xmp profile at 2133,try both setting 2133 or leave it at auto . give it 1.65 dram v..It still may not boot but when you get into the uefi again you will see what secondary timings the board has tried to apply.They will be the figures beside the auto boxes.

If the uefi shows the correct main and secondary timings(from the xmp read).perhaps a boost of vtt up to 1.1v(ish) might help.

Other points.

a. 11-11-11-30 timings at 2133mhz at 1.60v isnt a really hi performance profile..just saying.So there may not be much adjustment room with 4 sticks.

b.My 2 1600mhz sticks which I bought last month,the xmp is read exactly on my Asrock board.
    However the sticks do have a jedec 11-11-11-28 profile for 800/1600 mhz and If i enter 11-11-11-30 with 2133 mhz selected..the pc will not boot as the board pulls out tight 1600mhz secondary timings.

c if you arent having any luck with the above..still leave in the 1.65 v but enter all the timings manually

set xmp read at auto,set speed at 2133.
    Then in dram config:
    lets say 11-11-11-30(or28), (cr2) then "go loose"tWR=16,tRFC=174,tRRd=7,tWTR=8,tRTP=8,tFaW=35 ,tCWL=8.

When entering the command rate 1n,2N or whatever,on mine anyway.. you just enter the digit..dont enter 1N or 2 N or 2T ..just enter 1 or 2 and move on..

There is no tRC setting on mine either but that should get you to tRC 41^ ok..

Lets see anything else..oh yeh with your hi performance pc and cpu.. xmp may be reading close for 4 stick dual channel,but unless the sticks are matched for 4 stick dual channel or 4 stick quad channel op..the xmp may not be guaranteed to work and u have to inc v or perhaps even loosen to 11-12-11-30 .
    Maybe the board is reading the jedec secondary timings for 11-11-11-30 at 1676 mhz..

You could go the other way and start messing around from 1600mhz upwards..keep at 1.55v say and see if 8-8-8-24 will hold at 1600mhz or 9-10-9 27 at 1866 n so on.

My previous set of gskills(just 1333mhz types) will do as they say 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v,they need 1.6v for 10-10-10-28 at 1600.The memory has no xmp.

I have a few posts around recently, and screenshots of me trying for the best timings on my 1600mhz xmp 8-8-8-24 sticks.at 2133mhz. but its only 2 sticks so may not be relevant

4 sticks of mine, they might not even do 2133mhz.
    Last edited by kick; 02-07-2013 at 03:31 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Just wanted to thank everyone helping me out in this forum. Special thanks to kick, I finally got Ram to boot at 2133Mhz using the exact timings you specified. After playing around a bit, i have sticks running at 2240 Mhz with timings of 10-11-10-28-2T at 1.65V and CPU at 4.2 Ghz. Been playing Black Ops 11 on ultra and running 3D mark 11 with no temp issues but as soon as i try to run Prime95, temps soar up to 90 deg in no time and i have been shutting her down. These temps have me very concearned? Could this be a thermal sensor issue because i am pretty sure my cooler is seated nicely on CPU although i used the stock Coolermaster paste instead of AS5. I am starting to think my ram is not suited for this i7 3930k or Asrock board and creating temp issues running at 1.65V? I have no problem spending more money to get lower voltage memory more compatible with my setup. What are your thoughts on either the Samsung low voltage 1.35V ram or dishing out for Corsair Dominator Platinum 1.5V high performance XMP 1.3 which board supports?

kick is offline Senior Member

Great theres some "life"!.

Mho for what its worth.

2240 is a fair jump from 2133 for the ram if not for the on chip memory controller and may not produce much of a gain for performance.
    I was suggesting 1.65 v as a max that shouldnt do any harm and would get the sticks to work.. you might be able to v clock down to 1.63 at 2133 with the same timings .. or tighten them up at 1.65v.

Ive no experience of sandy E processors,but unless you changed the vtt or voltage for the on chip memory controller,what the memory is running at shouldnt make that much difference to cpu heat..
    90 at 4.2 in prime is very high unless you are way overvolting the cpu for its speed?.
    Sandy 3930 is a 6 core I think..? and capable of massive bandwith ,like 55 gb/s? whereas the 4 core ones are more like half that.

I dont know that many people on here are running a $600+ cpu ,it may be that it doesnt clock up so well(4.2 is an overclock yeh?) without hi temps cos it runs v fast as standard..dunno its out of my price/testing range :)

Id investigate a bit more before blaming the memory.
    Being able to afford more expensive memory is one thing .but if it doesnt give much of a performance gain and the cpu still runs hot on overclock(on prime which may really strain a 6 core and memory to hi heat) just because its very fast as standard,it wouldnt be very satisfying.

Try the utility sisoft sandra and see how your cpu/memory xompares at standard and overclocked
    It has results for sandy e cpu's and memory.
    The samsung seems popular ..but the people who use it on here , I havent seen much action above 2200 mhz and it is only rated as 1600 at standard(same as mine)
    Gskill do 3200mhz ram but for a price! a big one..

edit :Just as an added test:
    Since you already had the ram running at lower speeds and you think its v over 1.6-1.63v, that could be a problem,see whats the best speed you can get at 1.55v (1866 maybe?) and run again on prime?
    Did you raise the vtt?. 1.1v isnt supposed to be a problem..some people trying up to 1.2v(on regular 1155 cpu's) but can generate a bit more cpu heat.
    I tried up to 1.1 on my own..I couldnt get the memory working any tighter but it didnt make any difference that I could see to cpu heat.
    Last edited by kick; 02-09-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information