Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - Target CPU Turbo Speed incorrect

SlackerITGuy is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - Target CPU Turbo Speed incorrect

The Target CPU Turbo Speed setting in the UEFI BIOS is showing/reading 3.3GHz instead of the 3.7GHz capable by my CPU (2500K), how do I change this?

EDIT: And BTW the tech support straight from ASRock has been somewhat unhelpful to be quite honest, all this guy is telling is that I need to "increase the Host Clock Override (BCLK)" one tick at a time, isn't that overclocking the CPU per se? all I want is to change that "Target CPU Turbo Speed" setting from 3.3 to 3.7.
    Last edited by SlackerITGuy; 02-06-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - Target CPU Turbo Speed incorrect

Not having Intel just yet(soon, very soon) I believe where you want to be looking is:

BIOS > OC Tweaker > CPU Config > CPU Ratio (might be referenced as CPU Turbo Ratio depending on the BIOS rev.)
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

wardog is correct that what you need to change is the CPU Ratio, which by default is set to Auto. The Target CPU Turbo Speed field in the UEFI/BIOS is display only.

Go to the CPU Ratio field and click it. You probably want all your cores at a higher level, so select All Core. When you select All Core, a field below it will appear, titled All Core, which will have a value of 33 in your case. Just click on the number and type in 37.

To OC your CPU higher than 37, type in another number, say 40 for a start. The All Core field is really the CPU Multiplier (for example, 33 x 100 = 3300MHz.) ASRock really needs to get a better English, etc, translator with some tech training.

Don't change the BCLK field from 100, you can increase it a little bit, but it's not worth the instability it can cause until you have experience with an OC.

Yes, the tech support person was basically wrong, or did not understand you, who knows...

kick is offline Senior Member

Aside from what the lads are saying above^ and with the proviso that I have a different mbrd.

On initial defaults(on mine) there is no mention of a speed other than the standard 3300mhz in my uefi.but it will "turbo" up to 3.7 automatically if needed,once in windows.

click on axtu when you enter windows and see what the "multiplier" is in the overclock setion.

In uefi settings ,as mentioned above,you can set a speed manually yourself but depending on what way you overclock it may not show that speed in windows under load.

For example in my earlier messing around..er I mean very professional attempts at higher speeds ;) I set a 48 multiplier with turbo enabled but because I wasnt allowing sufficient voltage for turbo the cpu wasnt going above 45.

On auto defaults tho the board should be able to read what the cpu needs for 37,id hope.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Good point kick, about the Turbo mode running the OP's CPU to 3.7 anyway, which it should. I'm assuming the OP monitored the CPU frequency in the OS, and did not see it hit 3.7GHz.

SlackerITGuy is offline Junior Member

Wow lots of replies to get to, let me first thank you guys very much for replying so fast, really appreciate it.

Ok,to further explain my situation, I got this board a couple of weeks ago, and so far I'm loving it, so please bare with me here since I'm pretty new to most of the settings here.

With my previous board, the ASUS P8P67, when disabling all the C states and Intel's SpeedStep, the board made my CPU run at a fixed 3.7GHz 24/7 (displayed by the Windows 8 Task Manager performance tab). With this board, I disabled all C states, and Intel's SpeedStep as well, and it stayed at 3.3GHz. What I want is to return to the previous 3.7GHz speed without actual OC'ing the CPU.

I did what Parsec and Wardog mentioned, and changed the CPU Ratio to All Core, and yes the field reading 33 appeared right after changing it, typed 37 there and now Windows 8 is reading ~3.67GHz in the Task Manager, which is what I wanted, but I still have more questions regarding this setting:

1) Does changing the ratio manually in that setting results in the CPU going over the stock/factory voltage levels?
    2) How far would you say I could go without increasing the voltage?

kick is offline Senior Member

Ahh ok.. wel Asusl p8p67 was/is pretty good (I read) but my cpu example,[there is no factory/stock exact v level afaik..just a ballpark estimate,but there is a VID for your cpu and the board reads that more exactly if the info is of any use,with turbo disabled(and I never have disabled all the c's and speedstep on mine) will do 4.1(raw) without any voltage I mean without me adjusting the voltage or llc,but its awhile since Ive tested that .For z77..I pass to well z77 people :0.
    Last edited by kick; 02-07-2013 at 03:56 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

If you check your CPU's information on Intel's web site, you'll see that the stock voltage is... not listed:

ARK | Intel® Core i5-2500K

The CPU voltage limits and settings can become very complicated, and also depends on the BIOS and how it is set up by the board's manufacture. For example, a CPU changing from (for your CPU) 3.3GHz to 3.7GHz is supposed to be a temporary thing, according to Intel. Even if the CPU is under load and the program could use the extra processing power, the Turbo speed is supposed to change back to the standard speed.

But the default settings that control this in the BIOS are set to never drop from Turbo to normal speed. You could change those but that is not required for the CPU to survive.

I don't want to get into to many details, but you have nothing to worry about with the CPU voltage set to Auto, unless you set the ratio over about 44. Auto is the default setting, which has no limit AFAIK.

How far you can go with CPU voltage on Auto depends on the CPU itself, they all vary a bit. Auto will give the CPU all it wants up to the maximum voltage, but the CPU will get to hot, throttle itself down automatically, or just blue screen and reboot.

Thread Information