Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Upgrading To Win 8 Pro 64-bit

Default Upgrading To Win 8 Pro 64-bit

It's been awhile since I've posted here and I have a couple of questions. I'm planning on upgrading my OS to Win 8 probably sometime this weekend. I'm wondering if the latest drivers on the Asrock website will work on the P-67 Extreme4 Gen3? I've been unable to find anything that is specifically for Win 8. Also I'm using a Linksys wireless router and adapter for my wi-fi. Will I need specific drivers or will windows Update be able to supply them?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Upgrading To Win 8 Pro 64-bit

I can tell you about installing Windows 8 on my ASRock Z77 Ex 4 board. That is not that much different than your board, and I also have a Sandy Bridge CPU in that PC.

Most of the Windows 7 64bit drivers listed on your boards download page are older version that are not included in Windows 8 listings for boards like mine. Some might work, but ASR has not updated them in a while. For example, the IRST driver is old, you must use IRST 11.6 or 11.7 with Windows 8. Your download page for Win 7 has IRST 10.6.

As long as you let Windows install drivers for you, you ought to get most of those you need. All I had to install were three drivers.

I'll list the Windows 7 64bit files for your board as the same but general examples of the drivers/software I had to install.

1. The INF/chipset files (your boards INF driver ver:9.2.0.1015).

2. The Intel IME driver (Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.2.1410).

3. The Intel IRST AHCI/RAID driver (Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:10.6.0.1002). This is not required, as the Windows 7 storahci driver will be installed automatically if your SATA mode is set to AHCI, as it should be.

I did not need to install my NVIDIA-chip graphics card driver, but I don't know about AMD/ATI video cards. You may update your video driver yourself, of course.

The USB 3.0 drivers for Windows 8 were automatically installed, as well as the video driver for my CPU's video chip/core.

The INF, IME, and IRST installation software can be downloaded directly from Intel, for Windows 8, which is what use. Intel lists Windows 8 drivers for their own P67 boards, and they work fine on any board using the same Intel P67 chipset.

For things like your Linksys cards, I don't know. You can check Linksys for Windows 8 drivers, but there is a good chance they will be found automatically.

Default Re: Upgrading To Win 8 Pro 64-bit

Thanks much for the information. Appreciate it.

Thread Information