Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock USB Header DUMMY Pin?

SomeGuy is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock USB Header DUMMY Pin?

I have an ASRock A780GMH/128M motherboard and I want to add some USB ports. The USB headers on the MB are 9-pin (5/4), but pin 10 is labeled "DUMMY". Is that safe to connect to an S-GROUND pin, or should I remove the S-GROUND pin from the ports before I connect them? I'm not sure what ASRock means by "DUMMY".

ASRock USB Header DUMMY Pin?-pinouts-jpg

This is the USB plate I'm going to be installing:
    StarTech USBPLATE Adapter - Newegg.com

I will also probably be making a box for the new ports to be routed externally, so I need to use extension cables. If I use these cables, will I need to remove the S-GROUND from them? The extensions are 5-pin, but one of the slots on the header is 4-pin:
    StarTech Model USBINT5PINMF - Newegg.com

I'm a little confused and I don't want to fry my motherboard.

WilliamM2 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock USB Header DUMMY Pin?

It will be fine, just make sure the red wires go to the USB_PWR pins. If you are really worried, use this extension, you will only need one, and it only uses 4 wires per port:

APEVIA Model CVTUSBE25 - Newegg.com

But if you are planning on mounting a box externally, why not just get a USB hub. Neater, cheaper, 5 more ports, and free shipping.

Rosewill RHB-320R 7 Ports USB 2.0 Hub with Power Adapter - Newegg.com

SomeGuy is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    It will be fine, just make sure the red wires go to the USB_PWR pins. If you are really worried, use this extension, you will only need one, and it only uses 4 wires per port:

APEVIA Model CVTUSBE25 - Newegg.com

But if you are planning on mounting a box externally, why not just get a USB hub. Neater, cheaper, 5 more ports, and free shipping.

Rosewill RHB-320R 7 Ports USB 2.0 Hub with Power Adapter - Newegg.com

Thanks, I understand the PWR/DATA/GND connections, but I don't really get the "DUMMY" pin. If it's used for detecting overcurrent, I'd like to use it, but I'm not really sure if that's what it's for or if my MB/ports are compatible.

I don't want to use a hub, because I'll be connecting instruments/music related devices for recording. Having too much data channeling through one port is asking for trouble (kinda like hooking up a straw to a fire hydrant, lol).

WilliamM2 is offline Junior Member

On other boards I have it's labeled as "no connection". I believe that's what Asrock means by "dummy". It does nothing.

Thread Information