Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First build completed - help required re internal speaker and temp monitoring

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: First build completed - help required re internal speaker and temp monitoring

The cpuz hardware monitor:

It seems ok most of the time but some of the board readings arent allways correct.
    On my old 775 system it used to screen shot my cpu cooler fan at 80,000 rpm and gpu temps at 140.
    Use a few progs and if the values seem reasonable,they probably are.
    I mean cpuz hw monitor puts my hard disc at 80c one second and 1c the next.

Hey gl on the system.... you probably need 4.5ghz for the cpu to keep the room nice n waem.

Im half joking.When things warm up to like 22-25 indoors this summer , I may clock back a bit,depends how stable it is.
    Last edited by kick; 02-12-2013 at 04:55 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Default Re: First build completed - help required re internal speaker and temp monitoring

Thanks, good to know. The readings do seem OK on SpeedFan, Core Temp & AXTU so happy to let it go.

You can probably tell I built it to be able to OC as some point, I'll let it bed in for a while before I try and break it ;) I'll report back once I've had a go.

parsec is offline Senior Member

If you run more than one monitoring program at the same time, particularly anything and AXTU, you'll get bad data on some readings. You had some obviously crazy fan speed readings, like your CPU fan in CPUID, at just under 50,000 RPM. There is no way your CPU hit 126C, without throttling itself back, and I can't see it staying at that temp in reality for long if at all.

The problem monitoring programs have is there are so many different monitoring chips, and trying to code the program to handle them all is a big job. Plus sorting out values/data that is not even really being checked by the board, since there are no standards for that, is very difficult. IMO, one that does keep up with things is HWiNFO64, and it even includes a few readings that it can't be sure are significant or not. The mobo manufactures may or may not give them information about what is monitored, which makes it even more difficult.

Given your Vcore, and power usage, I can tell you are not OC'd at all, I don't need to look at the temps. Vcore less that 1.1V, Package (CPU) power at just under 45W, IA cores (compute) power ~36W, compare those with kick's. It seems you're not using the on-CPU graphics, the GT (graphics) power at ~0.25W.

Your stock clock temps are very good for an Ivy Bridge CPU, which tend to run a bit hotter that Sandy Bridge CPUs. The temp of your Samsung 840 is about the same as mine are, for a room ~20C. That Enermax CPU cooler seems to be very good, not well known to me (I don't like their fans) but given your temps now it should do well with a moderate OC of 4.2GHz to 4.4GHz, which you should be able to hit easily. Once you get past ~4.5GHz, then things get more difficult, and you learn if your CPU is an easy OC, or a bugger, as they say in the UK.

Breaking it as you said, comes in a few styles. There's the "no POST/Boot" OC fail, when you restart the PC after upping an OC, and it just won't run. Then there's the "it boots but barely runs, and BSODs" OC fail, which is really not much better. But as long as you're not setting high, fixed Vcore values, you should not hurt the CPU.

A FYI for you, given a post or two I've seen in this forum. Your board is not an extreme OC platform, given the CPU VRM (Voltage Regulation Module) capability it has. It may have some difficult with maintaining a long term high OC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information