Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 Extreme4 How many drives?

Default Z77 Extreme4 How many drives?

The Z77 Extreme4 was recommended to my brother.
    He has (8) 3 TB drives that he wants to use together for storage.
    He works on hi-def video.

How many drives can be attributed to the RAID? All 8?
    How do you resolve having a drive to hold the OS? A ninth drive? A partition on one of the eight (won't this cut into each drive in the RAID?)?

Any other gotchas that I don't know to ask about?

Thanks in advance!

J

sparker366 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme4 How many drives?

Now I just got that board but I don't do raid. It appears that he can only do 4 drives in raid with that board. I would advise him to get a few raid cards and build the arrays that way. This card support 4 drives thus doing 8 drives would take 2 cards. Then put the os drive and personal data drive on the motherboards ports

HighPoint RocketRAID 640 Controller Card - Newegg.com

parsec is offline Senior Member

Of the eight SATA ports on this board, six are provided by the Intel SATA chipset, and two by the ASMedia SATA chipset. Only the Intel SATA interface provides RAID, so that is six drives maximum. Even if the ASMedia chip supported RAID, it could not be combined with the Intel SATA interface.

I imagine your brother knows about the issue with drives larger than 2TB needing to be formatted as GPT so all their capacity can be used.

If he really must have eight drives, and an OS drive, he should consider the Z77 Extreme 11, that has a built in LSI SATA/SAS RAID chip that supports eight drives. It also has six Intel SATA ports for an OS and other drives. Your brother should check that the type of RAID array he was planning on using is supported by the LSD RAID chip.

A separate RAID card as mentioned earlier is another option.

sparker366 is offline Junior Member

Actually according to the manual and the specs page I see 8 sata ports 4 Sata II and 4 Sata III only the Sata II ports are indicating as being raid capable.

- 4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel Rapid Storage and Intel Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
    - 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors

Not doubting parsecs information but that doesn't correspond to the specs provided by Asrock. Hence why I said 4 drives in raid.

Going with the Extreme 11 board may be cost prohibitive due to 400$ price tag. 2 of the cards I linked would be cheaper over all and he could have 2 arrays thus giving him what he needed. God forbid if the motherboards controllers went out and he lost his array he would have to shell out another 400$ for a new board. With the controller cards if one went out he'd only be out 100 bucks for another card. Seems to be more cost effective to go with the controller cards then with the motherboard.
    Last edited by sparker366; 02-11-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    LSD RAID
    Is that something akin to panty raids of, sadly, days now past?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

LSD raid provides far out performance.

Quote Originally Posted by amoebasinger View Post
    He has (8) 3 TB drives that he wants to use together for storage.
    Storage is one thing, RAID is a whole other game.

I'd suggest an external esata port multiplier box or two to house them if it's for storage.

I fail to see a need for 8 3TB HDD's spinning while editing one video. Might consider RAID'ing two internally off the MB for the editing speed that would provide. Plus keeping the storage drives on esata would free up the remaining ports.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thread Information