Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock FM2A85X-ITX low profile cooling solution?

Default ASRock FM2A85X-ITX low profile cooling solution?

I was waiting to purchase the new FM2A85X-ITX mini itx motherboard of asrock on fm2

i was planning to use a noctua L12 cooler for an a10-5800K on this m/b

i read about incompatibility of the L12 with the a75 minitix motherboard of asrock so i sent a question to noctua for the a85x model.
    The answer was the following

"The FM2A85X-ITX has the same problem as the A75 board from ASRock, with lots of components in the keep out area of the backplate, thus you can't use a cooler with a backplate on this mainboard. None of our coolers, and none of our competitors products which use a backplate, are compatible with this mainboard, sorry."

does anybody know if there are other low profile coolers, equally capable and quite that could be applied on the FM2A85X-ITX motherboard or is this a general problem that will apply to all?

will asrock publish a list maybe that will make it easier for us to choose, and not wonder if we will be wasting money by buying one over another?

Default Re: ASRock FM2A85X-ITX low profile cooling solution?

Quote Originally Posted by mh76 View Post
    will asrock publish a list maybe that will make it easier for us to choose, and not wonder if we will be wasting money by buying one over another?
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for ASRock to publish. IMO, that the responsibility of the HS/F manufacturer(s), not ASRock.

You're going to find it hard goings finding a high-performance HS/F for this board. Be it low profile or not. The only ones will be push-pin mounting using the existing holes or one that employs the std FM2 mounting.

Something along the lines of the Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 Plus - Alpine 64 PLUS CPU Cooling ARCTIC
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for ASRock to publish. IMO, that the responsibility of the HS/F manufacturer(s), not ASRock.

You're going to find it hard goings finding a high-performance HS/F for this board. Be it low profile or not. The only ones will be push-pin mounting using the existing holes or one that employs the std FM2 mounting.

Something along the lines of the Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 Plus - Alpine 64 PLUS CPU Cooling ARCTIC
    thank you for the reply.
    the reason i said that asrock should/could publish such a list is because i am not really sure the hs/f manufacturer will point so clearly the incompatibility. i hope that i am wrong on that.

overall i believe that it will be very difficult to identify the compatible ones. Even your example, for which i thank you, gives comparability with the cpu not the m/b.

How can it be identified when a cooler uses the std FM2 mounting?

anyway any other suggestions on coolers that could be mounted or anything specific that could help in separating them apart is appreciated.

Most of the HS/F manufacturers have compatibility listed, somewhere.

For instance, the NH-L12 / FM2A85X-ITX compatibility you emailed Noctua about:
    Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!
    (clearly states the NH-L12 is not compatible with both FM2A75M-ITX and FM2A85M-ITX for the reason "Components at the back prevent installation of the backplate")

And then sometimes you have to look at the HS/F manual when the manufacturer doesn't do as nice a job as Noctua does when providing compatibility listings.
    http://www.arctic.ac/fileadmin/a64p/manual_en.pdf
    (clearly shows (re-)using the standard FM2 mounting)
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Most of the HS/F manufacturers have compatibility listed, somewhere.

For instance, the NH-L12 / FM2A85X-ITX compatibility you emailed Noctua about:
    Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!
    (clearly states the NH-L12 is not compatible with both FM2A75M-ITX and FM2A85M-ITX for the reason "Components at the back prevent installation of the backplate")

And then sometimes you have to look at the HS/F manual when the manufacturer doesn't do as nice a job as Noctua does when providing compatibility listings.
    http://www.arctic.ac/fileadmin/a64p/manual_en.pdf
    (clearly shows (re-)using the standard FM2 mounting)
    indeed noctua has a comprehensive list. but i have checked before emailing and the only thing mentioned was the fm2a75x incompatibility. the reference to fm2a85x-itx must have been added afterwards.

Hello, yesterday I bought FM2A85X-ITX and figured out that it has no backplate and, of course, isn't compatible with any coolers with backplate. I already have CoolerMaster Gemin II M4 and I'm going to try to use it without backplate (it can be used such way but I will use additional plastic spacers to not damage MB by nuts). This cooler has pretty low weight (less than 300 grams) and I hope that everything will be OK. You can take a look on it too.
    Last edited by ram.zes; 02-14-2013 at 03:57 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I was considering mentioning the CM GeminiII, which I have used in the past, but on an Intel board, so I'm not familiar with the AMD mounting. It's a good cooler for its size IMO, and you can use almost any 120mm fan with it.

Thread Information