Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Extreme9 z77 cant get slot 3 to work in with any other cards in place

buzby is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock Extreme9 Z77 Running Quad GTX 590 cant get pcie slot 3 to work with Slot 1?

I did a search here on this and found no answer.

I just was running a quad GTX 580 setup (without SLI I dont need SLI for the rendring program I use.) It was working great and I decided to upgrade to quad GTX 590's. When I put a 590 in slot 1 and slot 3 my display will not show even during the boot up. I can use a combination of slot 1, 5, 7 together, 3,5,7 with no problem but if I use slot 3 in combination with 1 it will not display. Anyone run into this before?

TIA
    Last edited by buzby; 02-12-2013 at 11:04 AM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Asrock Extreme9 z77 cant get slot 3 to work in with any other cards in place

Yes, check out http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...ement-sli.html where two posters are using a similar temporary fix.
    It's possible that a newer bios in the future might fix the problem.

File a report with ASRock tech support at ASRock > Support Request Form
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Default Re: Asrock Extreme9 z77 cant get slot 3 to work in with any other cards in place

Thank you Jim, and yes I did get a chance to look at that thread but mine is a little different. I had all 4 slots running perfectly on my motherboard with 4 GTX 580, it is only when I switched to the 4 GTX 590 that suddenly slot 3 would not work in combination with slot 1.

so slot 3, slot 5 and slots 7 will also work together great' also as I said slot 1 slot 5 and slots 7 work great I just don't understand what happens when slot 1and slot 3 are put together with this combination of the GTX 590.

I did read something interesting on the other thread about raising the input / output voltage in the BIOS but I'm not sure how to do that with regard to the graphics cards. If this were true it may be that the GTX 590 with a slightly higher power requirement maybe making the difference. If someone could tell me where the adjusting is to be made in the BIOS I maybe able to confirm this.

just to clarify I need to use all 4 slots 1,3,5, and 7 as I have a quad set up.
    Last edited by buzby; 02-12-2013 at 07:34 PM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

My Best guesstimate is that it is a motherboard bios issue that is causing the problem with your 4 x GTX 590 setup that won't work using slot #3.
    Your 4 x GTX 580 setup had no problem with using slot #3.
    Same thing as the other thread, but different.

There have been many ASRock threads with mid level video cards and motherboards where one of the pcie 3.0 slots wouldn't work but two video cards would work when one pcie 2.0 slot was used. In some cases a newer motherboard bios or a special beta bios fixed the problem.

Let us know when and how the problem is eventually solved.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Do you have a 4-pin molex power lead connected to the MB at SLI/XFIRE_PWR1 directly above PCIE1?

Are all 4 cards recognized in the BIOS via System Explorer?

I don't know the choices offered so I'll as. Under BIOS > Advanced > North Bridge Configuration > PCIE 2 Link Speed , what are the choices offered? I know you can adjust it's link width but can it be disabled altogether? I don't know how ASRock wired the PLX chip in regards to available lanes.

I'd contact ASRock Tech Support with this issue. Sad thing is they're out of the offices until the 18th celebrating the New Year.

Beyond the above issue, four 590's will most likely be taxing on even the monster PSU you have.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    My Best guesstimate is that it is a motherboard bios issue that is causing the problem with your 4 x GTX 590 setup that won't work using slot #3.
    Your 4 x GTX 580 setup had no problem with using slot #3.
    Same thing as the other thread, but different.

There have been many ASRock threads with mid level video cards and motherboards where one of the pcie 3.0 slots wouldn't work but two video cards would work when one pcie 2.0 slot was used. In some cases a newer motherboard bios or a special beta bios fixed the problem.

Let us know when and how the problem is eventually solved.
    I have the 1.80 Bios and I dont see any new ones or even betas. Mine is different as others may be able to get by using 2 or 3 card combos but I need to fill all 4 slots so I have no alternatives.

Does anyone know what voltage I may need to raise in the bios that may effect the graphics cards? Where I would find it?

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Do you have a 4-pin molex power lead connected to the MB at SLI/XFIRE_PWR1 directly above PCIE1?

Are all 4 cards recognized in the BIOS via System Explorer?

I don't know the choices offered so I'll as. Under BIOS > Advanced > North Bridge Configuration > PCIE 2 Link Speed , what are the choices offered? I know you can adjust it's link width but can it be disabled altogether? I don't know how ASRock wired the PLX chip in regards to available lanes.

I'd contact ASRock Tech Support with this issue. Sad thing is they're out of the offices until the 18th celebrating the New Year.

Beyond the above issue, four 590's will most likely be taxing on even the monster PSU you have.
    Hi Wardog, Yes I have the molex plugged in.

I am diving into the BiOS now to check out your suggestions, Thanks!

Update- I set up using 3,5, and 7 last night using 3 as the display and just plugged in my 4th 590 into slot one and I now was able to boot with full display.

Caveat is windows only shows 3 not 4 cards in the device manager! Now what?
    Asrock Extreme9 z77 cant get slot 3 to work in with any other cards in place-6-no8-jpg
    Last edited by buzby; 02-13-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Update- I set up using 3,5, and 7 last night using 3 as the display and just plugged in my 4th 590 into slot one and I now was able to boot with full display. I was only showing 3 cards in Windows Device Manager so I did a clean install of Nvidia 310.90 and that was it I am now 100% quad in all 4 slots with no changes to the BIOS The Beast is Released!

My problem is solved
    Thanks all!

That's good to hear. Glad you got it sorted.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thread Information