Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: intel i7-3770 hd graphics 4000 freeze (Asrock h77 pro4/MVP)

Level7 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: intel i7-3770 hd graphics 4000 freeze (Asrock h77 pro4/MVP)

Sorry for the typo in expectations.

I hadn't considered the RAM at all as 4 GB is more than recommended requirements of most games. From Minecraft I expect unpredictably RAM usage, in special when you abuse the number of entities that can be placed in a map. But the other games should be more stable about RAM usage. I will try to log my RAM usage during a game session until the system freezes. Maybe I will try to borrow another 4 GB module from a friend and try again with 8 GB.

Due to this problem, when gaming I close everything except for the OS background processes and services, and off-course the anti-virus. I have some third-party services running like the one installed by printer software and Google-update, Adobe-update, etc. Skype does not start with Windows, skype.exe not in processes while gaming. Few things on top of a clean Windows installation.

About drivers:

I tried many, trying to get rid of the freezes. I tried with latest driver I found on Intel web site (10.XX). Then I uninstalled and tried with latest offered via Windows Update. Then uninstalled and tried the one in the CD of this motherboard. Then the latest found on Asrock website for this board. Then an older one (8.XX) found on Asrock site too. I wanted this version 8 specifically because in the Intel forums thread one user stated that He could not reproduce the freezes with any 8.XX version of the driver, while 9.XX and 10.XX = system freeze. Lamentably 8.XX didn't work for me.

Version 9.XX (latest from Asrock) has the best performance for Minecraft. Other games performs the same (to me) with any driver. But with this one Battlefield 2 does not show those weird artifacts on the ground of all maps (like shadows but where should not be shadows).

About shared video memory:

I manually set it to 512 MB in BIOS. The parameter is called Shared Memory Size and It is found in Advanced Settings->North Bridge configuration. I think I have more stability with 512 than with Auto (the default value) but It may be a matter of luck, as freezes frequency are a bit random anyway.
    Last edited by Level7; 01-18-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Add important info

parsec is offline Senior Member

No problem, I thought you meant expectations.

Is 512MB the maximum setting for you Shared Memory? On my ASR Z77 and Z87 boards, the max is 1024MB. That might be because I have at least 8GB in those boards.

A spec from Intel states the most system memory that will be used is 1.70GB, so you might be Ok with 4GB. Would faster memory (1600) help you, not sure.

Try disabling Virtualization in the Advanced CPU options.

Do you use the VGA or DVI-D output?

A CPU temperature of 40C at idle is not bad, but not great. Your CPU should be fine up to 80C+. If you can get more air movement through the PC case, that will help with CPU temps.

I tried disable various things on BIOS, like Power save. No CPU Throttle because I feel unsafe without it. Virtualization is needed by Virtual Box to run Virtual Machines, I use that feature, but I will disable it to see if the freezes goes away. I will post again after some testing with virtualization turned off.

I use VGA connector as my monitor, even if LED, does not have DVI. Can the connector in use make a difference? I have a DVI to VGA adapter from an old NVidia GT 6600 (AGPx8) (Correction: should be from a newer one, the 6600 didn't come with an adapter, some card I burned or gifted). I can use it and try but I don't see how it may help. Some issue of the HD 4000 with VGA?

During my attempts to fix this. I tried with shared memory to 1024 too. I decided to leave it at 512 as it seems to be the value that contributes more to the duration of game sessions. 1024 is my max, probably due to my current amount of RAM as Asrock states in its site that this board should support a max value of 1760 MB for Ivy Bridge processors. But BIOS does not allow me to set that number.

Actually I have everything to default values except for video memory manually set at 512. For example BIOS automatically set my memory bus speed to 1066 MHz, I know my module support 1333 MHz, If I set it to 1333 manually nothing improves or get worse, system boots ok, and freezes while running games are the same, but for now I will leave It with its default value, except off-course you think 1333 may help.
    Last edited by Level7; 01-18-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: some extra info

What seems to did the trick was Shared Memory set manually to 1024 MB. Virtualization doesn't seem to have any effect. Power save doesn't have any effect. I was playing with memory set to 512 because I thought the game sessions last longer with that configuration but after try everything else with no success I'd set video memory to 1024 and no more freezes. But I remember to have tried this same value before with no success, maybe the combination of driver version 8.XXX and shared memory to 1024 is what solved the freezes.

I'm still using memory at 1066 MHz, maybe I should try with 1333 and see if the system still resists.

I'm thinking in increase the memory to 8 GB, but based on what is happening until now memory size doesn't seem to be what causing the problem. Also for the record, I tried with other 4 GB module for some time and freezes still occur, I'm now with my original module.

Considered the time since my previous answer to this thread I think is pretty safe to assume that driver 8 + shared memory to 1024 is what doing the trick. I will try the newest Intel drivers again and if the freezes return I will go back to driver 8.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information