Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASRock H77 Pro4-M - unreasonable high power consumption?

Default Re: ASRock H77 Pro4-M - unreasonable high power consumption?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Package C State Support are additional CPU power saving options that will definitely reduce CPU power usage
    The current setting is 'auto'. I wondered if I could enforce a better power saving option.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    If you don't use any of the following, you can disable them: onboard audio, the extra ASMedia SATA chip, CPU virutalization.
    onboard audio and the extra ASMedia SATA chip are already off. Virutalization is still on, because I might use it soon - have to check LXC.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    What is the maximum wattage that your system might need?
    Currently measured below 55W. But let's add 3 HDDs and say 70W. A 120W PSU should be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by AcmeGadgets View Post
    how old is the Tagan? (...) how much power does it draw when idle (...) system is OFF
    I guess it's ~4 years old. I got it from a friend. While the system is off, my PSU drains 0 W, according to my cheap kill-a-watt clone. I don't believe this figure, but as a server, it should be running anyway ;)

The trick is in finding good quality adapters that convert bricks into standard plugs for motherboards and cpus (and sata).
    yes, I started looking for picoPSUs. Main drawback of these solutions are 2, max 3 SATA connectors. And yet, the power saving should outweigh their price after 6 years.

Best link I could find on affordable low watt PSUs is from Fortron FSP

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanqn View Post
    I guess it's ~4 years old. I got it from a friend. While the system is off, my PSU drains 0 W, according to my cheap kill-a-watt clone. I don't believe this figure, but as a server, it should be running anyway ;)
    Hmm... the fact it's 0 Watts may simply mean the device does not measure well at the low end as is often the case with inexpensive devices. Similarly the measurement while "idle" is less important than the age of the PSU. Electrical efficiency can (does) degrade with age and regular use. I've got older Antecs that add 5-10W more consumption than newer more efficient PSU's.

My first guess would be the PSU itself is what is causing higher power use... it would be interesting if you could borrow a different PSU (preferrably newer, rated more efficient or lower output) just to see if you got different power draw just by changing the PSU only. (be sure not to change the bios settings between PSU;s)

As discussed, 50 to 70W is far below the max efficiency point (60%) for the smallest conventional PSUs (e.g. 350W or antec 380W) but you should still be able to see lower power use with a good quality 80+ even 400 or 500W. (My 500W antec was new and rated 80+ bronze)

Let us know what you find out...

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

ASRock H77 Pro4-M - unreasonable high power consumption?-80plus-en-chart-png
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

80+ efficiency chart
    Good info -- thanks.
    20% on a 300W would still be good enough, but I'm still guessing the OP's second hand Tagan psu may be a problem.

of course the cost of some of these is an order of magnitude over the energy savings, which is possibly why they justify not selling the lower wattage versions

yet

I'm waiting for 80+ "Rhodium" version... which actually returns more power than it sucks from the wall...
    Last edited by AcmeGadgets; 02-22-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Cool Re: ASRock H77 Pro4-M - unreasonable high power consumption?

Good info -- thanks.
    I'm waiting for 80+ "Rhodium" version... which actually returns more power than it sucks from the wall...
    ... that's 'cause it will be enhanced with an internal perpetual motion A.C. alternator and contains a significant amount of unobtanium.

I wonder how much a 400 - 460 watt Silver or Gold rated psu cost with the V.A.T. in Europe.
    I've heard that German electricity rates are very high because they are well on the road to oil independence and get a significant amount of their electrical power from alternative energy sources.
    JonnyGuru reported that my brand new Seasonic SS-660XP Platinum rated 660 watt psu is 86.1% efficient with a 10% load (67.5 watts D.C.). ASRock H77 Pro4-M - unreasonable high power consumption?-drool-gif

... JonnyGuru reported that my brand new Seasonic SS-660XP Platinum rated 660 watt psu is 86.1% efficient with a 10% load (67.5 watts D.C.). ASRock H77 Pro4-M - unreasonable high power consumption?-drool-gif
    that is drool-worthy!

(mmmmm nowatts)

good discussion -- the issue of higher energy costs creating energy efficient solutions is highly relevant. (the Germans/EU also seem to create very nice energy efficient cars for similar fuel cost reasons)
    Cloud versus local machine is a classic econ conundrum regarding efficiency and economies of scale. The stats I've seen on the server farm energy use alone is amazing... as with graphics cards (and power plants) the challenge is that energy spikes require very inefficient generators to handle temporary loads (due to QOS obligations) as you mentioned with the fudge factor.
    I am encouraged by the fact that latest generation of chips and devices are becoming so efficient, hopefully the PSU makers will find a market for more efficient low output devices. Every little bit (byte) helps

I've heard that German electricity rates are very high because they are well on the road to oil independence and get a significant amount of their electrical power from alternative energy sources.
    While we here in the good ol' US of A are haggling over a proposed noxious pipeline even the Canadians themselves don't want.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Aw, quit picking on the big money special interests, companies are people too :barf someone recently said and they have every right to trample on our individual rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness so that they can make the big bucks. So what if our health is endangered, after all, isn't fracking supposed to be equally safe?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Prof Jim's PSU is one of the latest models from Seasonic, and rated as Platinum (and tests confirm that), with efficiency as high as 92%, but at 50% load. It also does very well at 10% load, 86% efficiency at that load is unusual. What helps that is it is not a high power output unit, 1000 Watt PSU's that are Gold or Platinum rated will not be that efficient at a 10%/100 Watt load.

I agree with Acme that the Tagan PSU is part of the problem. The efficiency of PC PSU's has increased quite a bit over the past five years, no doubt due in part to the 80 Plus rating system. When I searched for information on it, the earliest dates I found were mid 2007 to early 2008. A product spec sheet here:

http://www.tagan.com.tw/page/datashe...00_uk_mini.pdf

I think we can agree that this PSU has at best an 80% efficiency, but at low loads it is definitely below that level, 75% IMO for a 10% load, at best. A new 550 Watt PSU made by Cougar rated at 80 Plus Bronze efficiency, tested at a bit under 77% at a 10% load:

Cougar PowerX 550W Review

Taking that into account, we can move on.

My board's BIOS/UEFI has multiple C State settings, and I enable them all when I want power savings, I don't trust Auto to enable them. Manually set the "highest" C state to C6 for maximum power savings.

Windows has several ways to adjust the power usage of a PC, which is no help since you don't use it. While the CPU power saving features should be OS independent, it's worth verifying that the CPU's power saving options are functioning. Any utility that shows CPU clock frequency can verify that, although some programs are better than others. The CPU speed should decease to 1.6GHz when SpeedStep is enabled when the PC is idle. (That is the usual lowest speed for many Intel CPUs, it might be different for a Celeron.)

I'm out of ideas regarding the mother board, their power usage is never discussed AFAIK.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information