Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASRock H77 Pro4-M - unreasonable high power consumption?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: ASRock H77 Pro4-M - unreasonable high power consumption?

Given the age of the OP's Tagan psu, my best guestimate at 10% load would be ~70% efficiency at best.

Seasonic information links for their fanless power supplies:

Seasonic 80+ Platinum Fanless 400w 460w 520w Power Supplies
    Seasonic USA - Platinum_Series_FL2
    Platinum-400 Fanless (SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3)
    Platinum-460 Fanless (SS-460FL2 Active PFC F3)
    Platinum-520 Fanless (SS-520FL2 Active PFC F3)
    user manual: http://www.seasonicusa.com/images/Br...Manual_NEW.pdf
    brochure: http://www.seasonicusa.com/PDF/Catal...00-460-520.pdf
    - - - -
    Seasonic 80+ Gold X-Series Fanless 400w 460w Power Supplies
    Seasonic USA - NEW_X-series_Fanless
    X-400 FANLESS (SS-400FL Active PFC F3) Gold
    X-460 FANLESS (SS-460FL Active PFC F3) Gold
    user manual: http://www.seasonicusa.com/images/Br...w_X_Manual.pdf
    brochure: http://www.seasonicusa.com/PDF/Catal.../X-400-460.pdf
    - - - -
    Seasonic 80+ Gold G-series 360w Power Supply
    Seasonic USA - NEW_X-series (With Fan)
    G-360 (SSR-360GP Active PFC F3) Gold
    user manual: http://www.seasonicusa.com/images/Br...UserManual.pdf

The normal USA price for the Seasonic SS-660XP 660 watt power supply is usually similar to the fanless psu prices.
    SeaSonic 80+ Platinum power supply prices at Newegg USA
    Last edited by profJim; 02-22-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: correction: G-360 has a fan
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Given the age of the OP's Tagan psu, my best guestimate at 10% load would be ~70% efficiency at best...

The normal USA price for the Seasonic SS-660XP 660 watt power supply is usually similar to the fanless psu prices.
    SeaSonic 80+ Platinum power Supply prices at Newegg USA
    Frankly, I agree about the efficiency at 10% load, I was being generous.

Yes, the prices of the lower power fanless Seasonic models are close to that of the 660XP, because they are virtually identical internally. Take a 660XP, remove the fan, tweak back the over current protection limits a bit, and you have a 460 Watt fanless PSU. Actually, it might be the 520 Watt model, since the JGuru review said at full load testing (cold) of the 660XP, the fan would cycle on and off, it wasn't needed continuously.

I don't see much point for the fanless models, since my Seasonic X PSUs never run their fans at all.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I don't see much point for the fanless models, since my Seasonic X PSUs never run their fans at all.
    I agree, but the OP might be better off with a lower power, highly efficient fan or fanless psu for his server setup. It's up to him to decide which setup will have the lowest overall cost over a five or six year time frame. I posted the fanless psu model information as something that might be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Given the age of the OP's Tagan psu, my best guestimate at 10% load would be ~70% efficiency at best.

Oh good, a betting pool -- I'm going to guess 65%... Stefanqn will have to find out.
    But given his original question

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanqn View Post
    The G1610 paired with a reasonable mainboard and PSU should have a idle power consumption of about ~20 Watt. My system sucks 32 Watt on idle, 51 Watt on load. CPU, HDD and PSU have been well tested for low power consumption, so I wonder where all my energy goes.

It seems like your system (given the PSU) is fine -- the energy is lost in PSU efficency.
    BTW-The Loki is a good cooler but uses ~2W more than the stock fan and may not be needed for such a low watt chip.
    Bios settings may give you a couple more watts so you'd end up idling at 28-30W. Assume for the moment that your system really should only need 18-20W.

As noted, I've got a similar setup (G1610 stock fan, WDblue (about 1W more) and DVD drive) and I draw 25-26W with a newer 80+ bronze 500W antec. (not the power brick) So for argument given the Antec 80+ data, if my PSU was 75% efficient at that level (less than 10% of capacity), and my system actually requires 18-19W I would see 24-25W -- which I did. (acknowledged that these measures are using a Kill-a-watt so are merely approximate.)

(19W/.75 efficiency)=~25W

If the PSU was only 65% efficient at that load level I would see about 30W

(19W/.65 efficiency)=~30

Which seems plausible for your system given that psu

To the earlier questions on the brick efficiency -- according to hardware secrets ISK-65 review the antec brick (made by Delta) and converter is quite efficient (definitely plus 80%) and in its max efficiency range -- so I'm seeing about 20W.

If I assume it's about 85% efficient or better, then my system actually only requires about 18-19W as configured.

Obviously your 10 watts difference (240W/day) may not cost justify a new PSU but it's useful to know... certainly if you can borrow a different PSU for testing, let us know if these estimates are off.

But it does not seem there is anything inherently wrong with your mobo/cpu setup.
    Last edited by AcmeGadgets; 02-23-2013 at 12:52 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

A pool? More like an auction: "I have 75% efficiency, do I hear 70... 70... 70... I have 70%, do we have 65... 65... going once, twice...".

I have a feeling that stefanqn has bailed out of this thread, as it went in a different direction than his original intent.

Acme, good point about the Loki cooler, I doubt that CPU needs that much cooling. At that level of power saving, even fans must be examined, as their power usage has little to do with their speed or size. Fan power usage is unpredictable, and varies wildly.

What about the G1610T CPU, with a 35W TDP? Not a power spec of course, but the 'T' CPUs are low power variants. A bit slower, 2.3GHz vs 2.6GHz, but it looks like a significant difference in power usage.

Hey, don't forget to turn off any LEDs on the case, power button, etc... Ok I'm messing with you now...

I have a feeling that stefanqn has bailed out of this thread, as it went in a different direction than his original intent.
    Ya think? Talk about threadjacking!

Last edited by - wardog -; 02-24-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: add smileys so as taken humorously
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

ah well... mostly it was directed to Stefanqn's posts -- initially he wanted to know if somethings was wrong with his setup/settings... mostly we speculated :-) since the only definitive test would be to swap a different PSU. But given his goal for lower power (and c'mon he started out worrying about 40W at idle!) I thought the effort was worthwhile and not necessarily a threadjack.

I actually do hope Stefan is able to test and to respond because it does add to our understanding of what affects a system... and ain't that the point here?

On a related note, while we can all enjoy nitpicking about a watt here or there, personally I appreciate pointing out some common practice that seem to have become rituals rather than rational. e.g. replacing stock coolers, or using every larger capacity PSU's -- especially for servers.

If people can reconsider some outmoded assumptions that can be good. so thanks.
    Last edited by AcmeGadgets; 02-25-2013 at 01:19 AM. Reason: subject line messed

I accepted that I should get my hands on a good power supply and the keep you updated. Not sure how long this takes. Actually I would like a 200 - 250W gold or better, but it seems to me I should wait a year or two until they are broadly available ... or affordable.

Acme, good point about the Loki cooler, I doubt that CPU needs that much cooling.
    True. The CPU fan is controlled by the UEFI bios and a 4 pin PWM connector. Seems pretty quiet to me, so I think it just drains around half the normal full load power.

What about the G1610T CPU, with a 35W TDP?
    Thought about it, but then it's just the same die with a little less volts. I undervoltet my CPU, but this has little or no impact on the idle power consumption, so I guess this was the right choice.
    Last edited by Stefanqn; 02-25-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanqn View Post
    I accepted that I should get my hands on a good power supply and the keep you updated. Not sure how long this takes. Actually I would like a 200 - 250W gold or better, but it seems to me I should wait a year or two until they are broadly available ... or affordable.
    Alternatively, if you can find an antec isk-65 on the cheap, that'll get you there. As noted I'm running 2 drives+2 tv tuners and even when I test fully loading the cpu the system is only 47W... so pretty good headroom. Based on the hardware secrets review (link previously) the efficiency of the Delta made brick is very good. I've been running it for about 9 mos (on my A4-3300) with no problems (the brick is always on while plugged in tho my system sleeps)

can't speak for the pico psu feaures but JGuru recommended their 120W or M3 (19V) w FSP power brick (see Pico PSU Round Up Review)

the FSP Fortron you mentioned is quite nice but costs more than whole the ISK-65 case w psu (~$40 on sale $80 from antec) :-)

Of course the EU has its own pricing and VAT so good luck

The ISK 300-65 costs 74 eur, aka 97 US$ on something similar to pricewatch. Thanks so far, I let you know if I have some news ... and feel free to threadjack ;)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information