Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ASRock H77 Pro4-M - unreasonable high power consumption?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock H77 Pro4-M - unreasonable high power consumption?

Stephanqn, I'm glad you're still here!

I need to say it is refreshing to find someone that is not interested (well, in this case) in using large amounts of power simply for entertainment purposes (gaming.) I wish we were able to really answer your question about the power usage of your board, and if it is excessive.

One type of test I've seen related to your question is testing the power use of a PC with the only difference in the system being the mother board. That testing seems to have potential, but IMO has variables that could change the results. Can we assume that all the BIOS settings affecting power use will always interact with the CPU, etc, in exactly the same way? The OS used can make a difference too, as Windows for example has power setting options that affect the CPU and drives. Other OS's may have different or no power usage settings. But since a mother board can be considered as one part, including its BIOS, its power usage is whatever the sum of its parts is.

I read that it is apparently possible to start a mother board without a CPU installed, and measure the power usage. If that is a valid test or not I don't know, as the board is really doing nothing. Searching on "PC motherboard power usage" provides a few interesting results, but nothing definitive. Given what I saw in the items found in that search, mother boards that are basically equivalent in components and features are very close in their idle power usage.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

@Stefanqn
    Have you checked out the 360 watt Seasonic Gold G-360?
    Seasonic releases G-series 80 Plus Gold power supplies in Europe | Hardware.Info United States
    From the article, Seasonic has set the recommended price at 45 for the G-360.
    Last edited by profJim; 02-25-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I wish we were able to really answer your question about the power usage of your board, and if it is excessive.
    Thanks, you already did. I realized the PSU is probably the cause of my high idle power consumption.

One type of test I've seen related to your question is testing the power use of a PC with the only difference in the system being the mother board. That testing seems to have potential, but IMO has variables that could change the results.
    I agree that efficient 24/7 low power PCs don't receive a lot of attention, neither by websites nor by manufactures. I remember I read something about google servers using a special 12V mainboard exactly for power efficiency reasons.

Can we assume that all the BIOS settings affecting power use will always interact with the CPU, etc, in exactly the same way?
    I think it's good to keep the BIOS settings in mind, but a small blur would be better than no tests ;)

The OS used can make a difference too, as Windows for example has power setting options that affect the CPU and drives. Other OS's may have different or no power usage settings. But since a mother board can be considered as one part, including its BIOS, its power usage is whatever the sum of its parts is.
    That's true. Linux generally consumes a bit more power, because it doesn't receive as much attention in driver tweaking. This should be especially the case for the conservative Debian distro used for my server.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Have you checked out the 360 watt Seasonic Gold G-360?
    As you already pointed out quite well, the first measurement point is at 20% for gold. That's the reason I wouldn't like to go above 250W until I find a titanium PSU
    Attachment 5655
    Last edited by Stefanqn; 02-25-2013 at 08:18 PM.

I was looking to see if this board undervolted (thanks for posting it) and trying to ckeck reliabilty/problems. I can add this information about previous testing with different PSUs.

My test system is I3-550, Gigabyte H55M-S2H board, 8GB RAM, 2.5" WD hard drive, Win8 beta.

Ultra 400W (came with Microfly case) uses 44W idle
    Older Seasonic 330W 80+ uses about 36W
    Seasonic 300W Bronze uses 32W idle
    FSP 400W Gold uses 30W idle

Measured with Killawatt meter.

Jim

Thumbs up Re: ASRock H77 Pro4-M - unreasonable high power consumption?

Quote Originally Posted by najames View Post
    I was looking to see if this board undervolted (thanks for posting it) and trying to ckeck reliabilty/problems.
    I'm sorry, if I gave you the wrong impression: I undervoltet my CPU on my mainboard on purpose, I don't know if this mainboard undervolts by default.

Quote Originally Posted by najames View Post
    My test system is I3-550, Gigabyte H55M-S2H board, 8GB RAM, 2.5" WD hard drive, Win8 beta.

Ultra 400W (came with Microfly case) uses 44W idle
    Older Seasonic 330W 80+ uses about 36W
    Seasonic 300W Bronze uses 32W idle
    FSP 400W Gold uses 30W idle
    Thanks for the test: it is good to see the actual difference.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Stefanqn, what I meant about your question is the power use of the mother board itself, but the PSU is one of the most important factors.

It's clear that the low power (or is that non-overkill, non-extreme power usage) high efficiency PSU's are not very common, or simply never tested. IMO, that would be PSUs of say 100W - 200W max output, which puts their 20% power level at 20W - 40W. Since currently the 20% level seems like the efficiency cliff that PSUs fall off of below that level, we need 100W units that are at ~87% efficient at 10% power draw. You would think there would be a decent market for PSUs like that, which is apparently ignored.

[QUOTE=Stefanqn;451994]I'm sorry, if I gave you the wrong impression: I undervoltet my CPU on my mainboard on purpose, I don't know if this mainboard undervolts by default.

I also undervolt on purpose, and it was what I was assuming you did too. If I use K10stat on this AMD "B45" (unlocked 445, now quad core), it runs fine at 1.2V, 43W idle, 77W max on startup. Another Sempron unlocked to X2 will run about 25W idle and 45W max as I recall.

parsec, there are the little power supplies called Pico. I think the range is from about 80W-150W and use a "brick" power supply, but they don't have many connectors, and the brick used likely makes a difference in effecieny. Some are used in 12V car applications too. Seasonic makes Gold 300W TFX power supplies, but not any regular ATX supplies, likely not enough demand or profit.

Reviews at JohnnyGuru

Last edited by najames; 03-05-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information