Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: H61M-HVS "This computer does not meet the requirements for installing the software". VGA driver.

Mjktoolband is offline Junior Member

Default Re: H61M-HVS "This computer does not meet the requirements for installing the software". VGA driver.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    "This seemed high to me, so I took off the side cover and watched all of the fans. Wouldn't you know it, the processor fan only spins at a 1/4 of a turn about every second. The fan on the graphics card and the fan on the back of the chassis are running constantly."

OMG, you've got a problem there dude! You basically have zero CPU cooling! That fan should be spinning at 1000 RPM at least, and NEVER, EVER be basically off as yours seems to be, while the PC is on. Those idle and load core temps are bad, at load you are into the range where the CPU starts to protect itself by throttling back its speed, for example from its usual 3.4GHz, to 1.6GHz, as well as reducing the voltage applied to it. This would explain your game playing issues, as the CPU is basically not working as it should.

You might have a bad fan on the CPU cooler, does it look like the stock Intel cooler? Can you see Intel on the fans label? The fan cable should have four wires, and have a four pin connector, and be plugged into the board on a "header" that has four pins on it, labeled "CPU Fan".

But given what you described above about the fan barely moving, and what I included in my previous post about the "Modify some VGA card with Intel inbox fan; CPU fan does not rotate issue. " fix for BIOS version 2.40, what does that tell us? It sounds like this issue still exists, or whatever BIOS version your board has may not match those from ASRock.

For now, try this test, if you feel up to it:

With the PC turned OFF and unplugged from power, open the case. Find the video card attached to the middle of the mother board. Right above the card you'll see "ASROCK" and other text. To the left of ASROCK there is a white rectangle with three pins coming out of it, with "PWR_FAN" or "PWR_FAN1" written on the board next to it.

I want you to unplug the CPU cooler's fan from the connector it is in now, and connect it to the PWR_FAN connection.

It does not matter that the PWR_FAN connector has three pins and the fan plug has four, just line up the white tab on the PWR_FAN connector with the slot on the side of the fan's plug, when you plug the fan into it.

Now connect the PC to power and start it up. The PWR_FAN connector should run the fan at full speed all the time. Yes, it will be loud but at least it is on and cooling the CPU. If the fan still does not run, it's bad and the entire cooler must be replaced, and you should really not use the PC with no CPU cooling.

Oh, BTW, if that fan is not turning as you described, you really should not use the PC. While a CPU temp of 50C at idle is not dangerous, it's not good at all. Frankly, if the CPU cooler fan is not working, you should not use the PC.
    Yes, it looks like the Intel stock cooler: Intel label on the fan itself.

I plugged the fan into the PWR_FAN1 and nothing changes. Still about a 1/4 turn every second or two.

Since it didn't work in the PWR_FAN1 header does that mean that the fan is faulty? iBuyPower has offered to express me a new fan at no charge. Is it possible that even though it's not working in either fan header that I've tried it could still be a BIOS problem? If they do send me a new fan and everything works perfectly, should I be concerned about any permanent damage that could have already been done to the processor due to overheating?

I have an old PC that no longer powers on. The CPU cooling unit in that may still work, but I don't know. Should I try plugging that into my new system without any concerns of ruining anything? I don't know if the old fan is the same wattage or still works or if that even matters.

Thanks for the info. I will keep my PC turned off until I need to perform other tests.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: H61M-HVS "This computer does not meet the requirements for installing the software". VGA driver.

Your result indicates that the fan on the CPU cooler is bad. The PWR_FAN header does not have any settings or controls in the BIOS. It is meant to provide full power to a fan at all times, that is standard on mother boards.

You should definitely have IBP send you the free "fan". I wrote it like that because they most likely won't be sending you just a fan, it will be the entire CPU cooler with the fan attached. It is possible to swap the fans, as it has four tabs on its plastic frame that attach it to the metal part of the cooler. If they send you the entire CPU cooler, you'll be able to see how the fan attaches to the metal portion of the cooler. You'll need to somehow pry up on one more of the tabs on the broken fan to remove it, which will be the hardest part of the procedure.

The alternative to that would be replacing the entire cooler. That would require you to clean off the thermal compound on the CPU's surface, with alcohol on paper towels or soft rags. Intel CPU coolers have thermal compound pre-applied, so you won't need to get some thermal compound. If you've never removed and mounted one of these coolers, I would not recommend it without researching it or getting some help. Do you feel able to do this, or have ever done it?

The CPU cooler in your old PC will probably not be compatible with the new one, in that it simply will not fit on it correctly. The fan wattage, etc, is not a concern, that is pretty standard among PCs, but the size will not be the same, it just won't fit. We would need to know what model of CPU on the old PC is to make a judgement, but Intel constantly changes the mounting system, so it quite likely won't fit.

Regarding damage to the CPU, I doubt it has been damaged, as the built in protections will protect it pretty well. If the PC never shutdown by itself, then it never got to the point where it reached a sustained, damaging temperature. I don't think the PC was used very long with the broken fan, do you have any idea how long or much it was used like that?

Meh, a dissenting view.

Yea, I'll bet iBuyPower will send you a new fan. Saves them the cost of repair and might well possibly result in it being charged against you should you yourself install it and things go further awry afterwards. I can almost hear it now "Mr Mjk, the fan was not installed by a certified Tech but instead by yourself so we cannot be held responsible for the condition you now find the unworkable computer to be in. We'd really like to help and hope you understand our position on this matter." Yea, I want an email like that landing in my Inbox, NOT.

You bought a pre-assembled computer instead of assembling one yourself. That gets you a warranty. You did after all pay a premium, which includes said warranty. A warranty that I would now be holding iBuyPower's toes to the fire with. That is, assuming we know the whole story here.

But in my reading your posts I "get', and I say this nicely, that you're not computer savvy and hence why you bought an assembled one.

For that reason I type out the above. It might sound hard-ass but please consider that the CMOS battery was knocked out of it's socket when you received it. Who's to say that more won't or isn't wrong with it that will crop up as time goes by. But you certainly did not pay a premium to have to now find YOURSELF in the situation of having to perform repairs on a newly built system. That is iBuyPower's responsibility. Let them contract to have it picked up and shipped back to them for repairs or have them contract with a local reputable computer Tech and have the repairs done locally.

Soap box mode: Off
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I have never installed a fan/cooling unit. The most I have done is replacing/upgrading RAM and replacing/upgrading a video card.

As far as how long the fan hasn't functioned, I don't know. I don't remember ever seeing it working correctly, but it could have at one point. I didn't pay much attention. Although, after my education from you with this issue, I will be paying much closer attention to these details in the future.

Before this most recent PC purchase, I was considering building my own. I have heard its rewarding and cost effective. I chose to have one built because I wasn't confident in my skills. Although, I'd very much like to get to the level where I have the confidence and knowledge to do so.

Anyway, after reading your comments I called iBuyPower. Their customer service and tech support are horrendous, by the way. I wouldn't purchase from them again. I got no where with them, so I called Best Buy. Best Buy has arranged for Geek Squad to do an in-home install when the cooling unit arrives at no charge to me.

Parsec, your patience and ability to describe clearly and thoroughly the information is spectacular. You have been a far greater help than any of the 3 companies I have dealt with. Yet, you had the least to gain from helping me. I cannot thank you enough.

Wardog, thank you for your input as well. Especially the "dissenting view". I appreciate all points of view and I am glad you shared yours. Both of you have, potentially, saved me from a costly mistake. Now, I'll have a "professional" install it and not have a panic attack while trying to install myself.

Actually, you have worked out on your own the (hopefully) best overall situation, having BB install and test the CPU cooler for you.

wardog woke me up to another viewpoint on this, given the battery being out of place, which does seem to indicate some sort of extreme impact, which may mean more damage is possible. Since your disk drive was not damaged, apparently, perhaps the battery thing was just a fluke, let's hope so. Feel free to mention that to the BB Geek Squad guy, so he can at least check if other things are loose. Keep the original CPU cooler to play with, and figure out how the push pins work, if you ever need to do that yourself.

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate that. Building a PC is not that difficult, but like anything else takes effort, study, and patience. You mentioned an old PC that does not work, which is the perfect thing to fool with and learn from. Who knows, you might be able to get it going again, might be a bad power supply.

You can download the manual for your mother board from the ASRock page for your mother board, and learn a lot from that. Exploring the BIOS will lead you to learn about all kinds of things, but don't change things without knowing what they do, ask first! Intel's website has all kinds of information on it, although finding it can take some effort, since they have so much.

Let us know how it goes, and don't worry to much, IBuyPower can only screw things up so much, at least most of the parts they use are not of their own design.

I'll give a nod to parsec's idea of your using the old pc as a way to experience. If it's idle and unused it would be the ideal tool with which to learn on and in the process take some of the newbie nervousness off on.

Newbie nerves is something we've all experienced and trust me when I say it's something you never get over. Experience may dull them but they never truly go away when tearing into one or building one up from pieces parts. I just built my first Intel system, the one in my sig, and I'm here to tell ya I was neck deep in unfamiliar territory what with coming from the life long AMD camp.

It's heartening to know that unlike your recent experiences with iBuyPower's customer service/warranty dept that BestBuy stepped up to recognize you as a Buyer, and one that they'd rather not loose. While the box you bought is top notch you're sadly not alone when it comes to experiencing iBuyPower's after sales support, or lack thereof as the case may be. Hence my "hold their toes to the fire' comment above. It's really really sad iBuyPower feels they can treat folks who purchase their systems this way and I'd be surprised if peoples bad experiences with them and word of mouth isn't hurting their sales. But apparently it hasn't accumulated/snowballed enough to pressure any meaningful change in their approach to customer service.

BIOSs'. I know AMD BIOSs inside and out upside down. This Intel I built the BIOS is as alien as I've encountered , but I'll master it like I've done with my AMD builds. Time and patience.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Update:

Best Buy/Geek Squad ended up reneging on their offer of a complimentary in-home install.

iBuyPower still hasn't sent the replacement CPU Cooling Unit.

I took matters into my own hands. I ordered a Thermaltake Silent 1156 CPU Cooler ( Thermaltakeusa*»*Cooler*»*CPU Cooler*»*Silent 1156 : Silent 1156 CLP0552 ). I installed it (all by myself) and my PC is running perfectly.

Core temps at idle: 20 - 28 degrees
    Core temps while playing graphic intense games: 45 - 47 degrees.

I picked this CPU Cooler because the reviews mentioned that it was one of the easiest to install (a huge plus for me) and, of course, that it worked well.

Odd thing is that I uninstalled the stock cooling unit that wasn't working and put it into a friend's PC and it worked fine. I thought for sure that meant it was a motherboard/BIOS issue, but I went ahead and tried to install the new Thermaltake unit anyway and, much to my surprise, it works great.

Thanks again for all of the help. I really, really appreciate it.

Great, who needs BestBurn anyway, OMG what idiots! Their business is going down the drain, and that is the customer service they provide. Unreal!

I agree that it is strange that the fan worked on your friends PC, but I have a theory. Assuming that the out of place battery was caused by a heavy impact, the fan could have moved too and was rubbing on the metal part of the cooler. When you removed it the fan was moved back into its correct position, easy to miss. Although you had to pay for a new CPU cooler, your results are better than the stock cooler, believe me.

You didn't mention it, but I assume your initial problem is gone now, right?

If you feel that the new cooler is a bit loud, that is because the standard BIOS setting for the CPU fan is Full On. That could be adjusted, but it's up to you, let us know if you want to check it.

j1232 is offline Junior Member

ummm so what about the VGA issue how did you fix that? I have the same VGA issue. .

H61M-HVS on board video card?

Actually, his VGA driver installation issue was put aside once we discovered he was using a separate graphics card, and had another major problem with his CPU cooler. The VGA driver installation issue was never solved, AFAIK.

But in your case, your i5-3350P CPU is one of the few Ivy Bridge CPUs that does not have on-CPU graphics: ARK | Intel® Core

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information