Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem With Monitor Display

JonnyAlpha is offline Junior Member

Default Problem With Monitor Display

Hi;

I have a ASRock FM2A75M-DGS motherboard with an AMD A6 5400K CPU connected to a Samsung S23B550VS 23 inch Widescreen LED Monitor using the onboard VGA connector.

The problem I have is that with the resolution set to anything above 1024 x 768 the monitor screen keeps going black. I have connected another monitor and this does the same and rather than just going black it sometimes the screen shudders to off and other times it temporarily loses the signal for about a second. The signal is lost because when it comes back on the OSD displays the input and resolution.

I have installed all of the motherboard drivers from the supplied CD and have downloaded the monitor driver however, this has made no difference.

I am also a bit confused whether the resolution should be set using the standard windows display settings window or the AMD Vision Engine Control Centre.

My specs are below - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monitor: Samsung S23B550VS 23 inch Widescreen LED Monitor, connected to onboard VGA - VGA
    Mobo: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS
    CPU: AMD A6 5400K
    Mem: Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866 2 x 4GB
    PSU: Corsair CX500
    Windows 7 64 Bit

Default Re: Problem With Monitor Display

Update:

I have just plugged in an old nVidia Geforce 6600 PCIe Gfx card and have set the revolution to 1600 x 1200 and have been typing away for the last 2 minutes without so much as a flicker!!

If I right click on the desktop and select screen resolution the monitor is shown as a Generic PnP and is not listed as a Samsung Syncmaster, I did managed to install a Syncmaster Driver and managed to get the monitor listed in Device manager as a Syncmaster but it still showed up as Generic in screen resolution and AMD Graphics Control Engine. I have also noticed now it has reverted back to generic in Device manager. I read a post about LCD monitors losing their EIDE (Or something) which is the built in EPROM used to tell video cards what the monitor is and what resolutions are supported. But this does not change the fact that my old nVidia 6600 works fine and the damm brand new AMD 5400K CPU with discreet Radeon 7540HD doesnt work!!!

So this is either:

1. A problem with the new AMD A6 5400K, which foolishly I RMA recently because the damm fan was cracked. (I am 100% confident that the problem did not occur with the replaced one as I was playing SKYRIM on high settings without a problem.

or

2. A driver problem with Windows 7 64 Bit / AMD Radeon 7540 built into the CPU.

I am airing on the CPU myself.

Quick question.

Have you installed the latest Catalyst driver(s) for your APU, Win7x64 13.1 from HERE
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Quick question.

Have you installed the latest Catalyst driver(s) for your APU, Win7x64 13.1 from HERE
    I have a had a bit of a break through. Updated windows, installed .Net4 Framework and AMD Catalyst 13.1. Once I set the EDID in Vision Control i was able to set the resolution up to 1600 x 120o in Windows Control Panel. Before I set the Vision Control to use EDID the screen did go off a couple of times but know that I have set EDID to on and the display to 1600 x 1200 the screen and signal appears to be stable.

I still cannot hit the native resolution of the monitor though which is 1920 x 1080, if I do the refresh rate drops to 30Khz and will not go higher. Is this a restriction of the APU?? If so the RMA that I have just set up is going to be a waste of time???

Sorry spoke to soon have been using the PC today and I am still getting the occasional black screen, in fact in the time that I have been typing this it has happened three times.

Is this a new build or one that has been performing fine?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Is this a new build or one that has been performing fine?
    This is a new build that I put together only a few weeks ago, I had to exchange the CPU as the casing for the cooling fan was cracked causing the fan to oscillate and catch on the heatsink. I did not experience the screen blanking problem and I am sure that I had increased the reolution in fact I am sure as I was playing SKYRIM through STEAM on high settings?? Once I replaced the CPU I started to notice the problem but thought it may have been associated with a failed Macromedia Flash installation or a windows update. To rule this out I did a clean re-install of Windows 7 64 bit and have fully updated windows and AMD Vision Control Engine and I am still experiencing the problem.

I am now waiting for a new CPU from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyAlpha View Post
    This is a new build that I put together only a few weeks ago, I had to exchange the CPU as the casing for the cooling fan was cracked causing the fan to oscillate and catch on the heatsink. I did not experience the screen blanking problem and I am sure that I had increased the reolution in fact I am sure as I was playing SKYRIM through STEAM on high settings?? Once I replaced the CPU I started to notice the problem but thought it may have been associated with a failed Macromedia Flash installation or a windows update. To rule this out I did a clean re-install of Windows 7 64 bit and have fully updated windows and AMD Vision Control Engine and I am still experiencing the problem.

I am now waiting for a new CPU from Amazon.
    Was the problem solved with the new CPU?

I am experiencing the same problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragooon View Post
    Was the problem solved with the new CPU?

I am experiencing the same problem...
    Sorry, never saw this reply, yes once the new CPU was fitted everything worked fine, must have been a faulty GPU?

Thread Information