Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme7 Gen3 Intel Option Rom 10.8.0.1303

Default Re: Extreme7 Gen3 Intel Option Rom 10.8.0.1303

Extreme7 Gen3 Intel Option Rom 10.8.0.1303-z68-jpg

parsec is offline Senior Member

There ya go, nice. That's your OS volume, correct? At the introduction of chipsets like the P67, IRST 10.... was the latest and greatest. I don't know if any mobo manufacture has changed the OROM on 6 series chipset boards to an 11 version, but it can be done with a modded BIOS.

There is a recent thread in this forum about a guy trying to create a RAID 0 volume of two, 2TB HDDs, and use it as his OS/boot drive. He knows he must be formatted in GPT, and UEFI boot, and uses Windows 7. He has an AMD system. He can't get the RAID volume to be GPT formatted during the Windows installation, which I think is due to not having the UEFI booting enabled, and his installation medium is not quite right. Did you do anything special to your Windows 7 installation media, like described in SevenForum, if you are familiar with that? How do you enable UEFI booting on your board? Via CSM, or Secure Boot settings?

zslawek is offline Junior Member

8086 means vendor intel - 2822 defining chipset generation
    282a that's a mobile intel generation device
    UEFI OROM wich is used when starting Win8 in UEFI mode
    for more you can go to that site AHCI/RAID ROM modules for BIOS modding - already extracted - BIOS/BIOS-Modding - Win-Lite Forum
    and the software for modifying BIOS you can find here http://www.win-lite.de/wbb/board208-...ix-award-bios/
    Last edited by zslawek; 03-08-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: add more info

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    There ya go, nice. That's your OS volume, correct? At the introduction of chipsets like the P67, IRST 10.... was the latest and greatest. I don't know if any mobo manufacture has changed the OROM on 6 series chipset boards to an 11 version, but it can be done with a modded BIOS.

There is a recent thread in this forum about a guy trying to create a RAID 0 volume of two, 2TB HDDs, and use it as his OS/boot drive. He knows he must be formatted in GPT, and UEFI boot, and uses Windows 7. He has an AMD system. He can't get the RAID volume to be GPT formatted during the Windows installation, which I think is due to not having the UEFI booting enabled, and his installation medium is not quite right. Did you do anything special to your Windows 7 installation media, like described in SevenForum, if you are familiar with that? How do you enable UEFI booting on your board? Via CSM, or Secure Boot settings?
    It's my C & D drive, and the BIOS has to be set for UEFI to install to it, after all it's going to run that way. It's been well over a year since I created this. Recalling, I am sure I created the 100mb EFI partition first, but the trick is to create an EFI boot installation USB stick. You need to boot the Windows7 installation via UEFI for it to recognize that it's installing UEFI and be able to target a GPT disk for installation. Looks like the same holds true for Windows8, I just found this: Creating a UEFI boot USB stick: UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows. I haven't read this proc in full, but basically you also need to create this UEFI boot USB stick and copy the installation media files to the USB stick and walla, UEFI enabled installation via USB.

End result: Capacity and Performance, and for a chipset that supports SSD caching, it's a cache over the entire raid10 array since it's one single GPT volume. :) This has repeatedly saved me the urge to spend over $1000 for a dual large SSD mirror lol. I'm very happy with boot times no nearing SSD speeds, and happy with the overall performance of my storage. Sure if you haven't used a program in a while it has to get into the cache, OK I can live with that. Next project, upgrade the 2tb to 4tb drives :)

FYI, great free for home use tool for resizing partitions: MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.7 My C drive was 1tb until recently when I needed to expand my D's library space. The array is constructed of 3gb/sec SATA Seagate Enterprise class disks, I don't use anything but enterprise class for arrays frankly after system lock ups while tinkering were generating reallocated sectors on lesser disks, but not these. Disk1 and Disk2 are also enterprise class 6gb/sec utility disks (one on the Intel controller and one on the ASMedia controller). I don't worry about redundancy on these and mount as folders off my D drive.

Extreme7 Gen3 Intel Option Rom 10.8.0.1303-z68storage-jpg

zslawek I'm a bit nervous about modding my BIOS myself as I don't want down time from a screw up, and ultimately I'd only be buying a touch of SSD performance, perhaps, on an SSD cache system. If I had a large boot SSD I'd be eyeballing it with more intent. Doesn't mean I won't when I get bored enough though LOL :) Thank you for the information.
    Last edited by Undermoose; 03-09-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Undermoose View Post
    Hi zslawek,
    If you wouldn't mind downloading the bios from ASRock for the Extreme7 Gen3 mobo and taking a look at what you find?
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.us... Extreme7 Gen3
    It's version 2.33A
    Thanks in advance if you can ;)

zslawek I'm a bit nervous about modding my BIOS myself as I don't want down time from a screw up
    I have checked you have the same Raid rom and sata as I have.
    Option ROM for dev 8086-2822 is 10.8.x.xxx; for dev 8086-282a is 11.0.0.xxx and the RAID OROM for UEFI booting is 11.5.0.xxx
    I also didn't successfully inserted any RAID ROM into my BIOS because of what parsec wrote

The "dev 8086-2822 vs dev 8086-282a" are multiple OROM versions, that are apparently left in the UEFI by "sloppy" programmers. That is at least what one of the guys that know how to extract and replace OROMs into a UEFI/BIOS, called them. Given what I have read, he is likely correct.
    Last edited by zslawek; 03-10-2013 at 05:15 AM.

I downloaded the tool and extracted BIN's, I can see the dev 8086-2822 and 8086-282a, but I don't understand what to look for to see the UEFI OROM on the Extreme7 Gen3 BIOS version 2.33A.

2822 = 10.8.0.1303
    282a = 11.0.0.1339
    Last edited by Undermoose; 03-10-2013 at 12:02 AM.

you have to look for "SataDriver", it is well written on this page AHCI/RAID ROM modules for BIOS modding - already extracted - BIOS/BIOS-Modding - Win-Lite Forum

Hi zslawek, it's well documented as to what driver to look at in the bios for EFI installed OS, but doesn't detail the extraction and identification specifics well. It does detail how to replace it quite well /gulp...

Using MMTool, I open the BIOS, look for SataDriver, but do I then switch to Extract Tab, and Link Present, and select 8086-2822, and then Export? If I do that and select 2822 or 282a the BIN file generated has the same versions as CMSCORE extracts did.
    Last edited by Undermoose; 03-10-2013 at 05:45 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

The array is constructed of 3gb/sec SATA Seagate Enterprise class disks, I don't use anything but enterprise class for arrays frankly after system lock ups while tinkering were generating reallocated sectors on lesser disks, but not these. Disk1 and Disk2 are also enterprise class 6gb/sec utility disks (one on the Intel controller and one on the ASMedia controller). I don't worry about redundancy on these and mount as folders off my D drive.

Interesting that you mention Enterprise class drives. They are usually ignored by most PC builders, because just like SSDs, they are "too expensive".

Why are enterprise class HDDs so expensive:
    • They are built to a higher specification, or;
    • Are higher binned drives
    • They are actively supported by the manufacture
    • Warranty is good, five years

Why are consumer class HDDs so cheap:
    • They are lower spec'd or binned drives
    • Support is more difficult to get
    • Warranty is short, one or two years

A typical PC user does not put much stress on a HDD, even as an OS drive, so they work pretty well for most people. As mass storage devices that don't get much use, they are great too. But we've all had HDDs fail, if only due to the mechanical part of their construction. So hopefully we get a good one from the enterprise drive reject pile, and many times we do.

BTW, if you try one of these modded BIOS', be sure you know how to change to a different BIOS version, as some update programs apparently only let you update to newer versions. There are a few tricks to do this, but different for each board.

Quote Originally Posted by Undermoose View Post
    Hi zslawek, it's well documented as to what driver to look at in the bios for EFI installed OS, but doesn't detail the extraction and identification specifics well. It does detail how to replace it quite well /gulp...

Using MMTool, I open the BIOS, look for SataDriver, but do I then switch to Extract Tab, and Link Present, and select 8086-2822, and then Export? If I do that and select 2822 or 282a the BIN file generated has the same versions as CMSCORE extracts did.
    Still hoping to get clarification on this please.

The array is constructed of 3gb/sec SATA Seagate Enterprise class disks, I don't use anything but enterprise class for arrays frankly after system lock ups while tinkering were generating reallocated sectors on lesser disks, but not these. Disk1 and Disk2 are also enterprise class 6gb/sec utility disks (one on the Intel controller and one on the ASMedia controller). I don't worry about redundancy on these and mount as folders off my D drive.

Interesting that you mention Enterprise class drives. They are usually ignored by most PC builders, because just like SSDs, they are "too expensive".

Why are enterprise class HDDs so expensive:
    • They are built to a higher specification, or;
    • Are higher binned drives
    • They are actively supported by the manufacture
    • Warranty is good, five years

Why are consumer class HDDs so cheap:
    • They are lower spec'd or binned drives
    • Support is more difficult to get
    • Warranty is short, one or two years

A typical PC user does not put much stress on a HDD, even as an OS drive, so they work pretty well for most people. As mass storage devices that don't get much use, they are great too. But we've all had HDDs fail, if only due to the mechanical part of their construction. So hopefully we get a good one from the enterprise drive reject pile, and many times we do.

BTW, if you try one of these modded BIOS', be sure you know how to change to a different BIOS version, as some update programs apparently only let you update to newer versions. There are a few tricks to do this, but different for each board.
    I purchased 6 Seagate retail drives from Best Buy, Barracuda 2TB 7200.11 (with fixed firmware), and put them into my raid10. I had a 6 disk raid10 array at one time, but found 4 disk raid10 to be more manageable on a desktop system.

I ended up RMA'ing the drives multiple times, sometimes multiple drives at same time, due to reallocated sectors appearing after a system hang, power outage, restart & verify and S.M.A.R.T would report them. I will commend Seagate for taking care of me, they offered to replace all 6 of my 2TB drives with Enterprise Class drives, 4 x Constellation 2TB 3gb/sec SATA (refurbished) & 2 x Constellation ES 6gb/sec SATA (brand new) at standard advanced replacement fees.

I'll mention, 4 x 3gb/sec and 2 x 6gb/sec is a perfect use case for my new motherboard at the time (ASRock Extreme7 Gen3), and motherboards in general today if you're building a raid 10, as the raid10 should only be built on the 3gb/sec ports on the Intel controller since there are 4 ports. Sure you could include the 2 6gb/sec ports in they array, but it would be mixed port types since you only get 2 6gb/sec ports on the Intel controller and have 4 disks in a raid10. I put a SSD cache is on one of the Intel 6gb/sec ports to cache my Raid10 UEFI, and I have the two 6gb/sec Constellation ES drives on the ASMedia controller for utility disks.

Since Seagate did the swap for enterprise class storage I haven't had a single reallocated sector for close to 2 years of constant use. I will never build a home raid10 again without enterprise class drives. You'd think maybe it would be different if I wasn't UEFI booting and caching it, however the first motherboard the array lived on was an Asus Rampage III Extreme with qx9770 CPU. No such thing as SSD caching or UEFI booting that fine rig ;).

I believe there is more to the "enterprise class" than just being better a better bin. Retail is typically just raid1 or raid0 configurations, enterprise class are built with enterprise raid configurations in mind (raid0,1,5,6,10), a quote from their marketing hype (LOL, no I don't work for Seagate): "Powered by our multi-drive firmware and enhanced rotational vibration tolerance".
    Last edited by Undermoose; 03-12-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information