Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z77 PRO4 Intel HD 4000 Black screen randomly on HTPC setup.

JESTSTAR is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock Z77 PRO4 Intel HD 4000 Black screen randomly on HTPC setup.

I just switch my graphics from an EVGA GTX 550Ti to the on board Intel HD4000 for my HTPC (Home Theater PC). It was working fine for awhile, but now the screen will start flickering black and then eventually stay black until I unplug/plug the HDMI cable back in from my AVR (Audio Video Receiver) to the TV. If I put the NVIDIA card back in I don't have this issue... only when using the HDMI port on the MB. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Default Re: ASRock Z77 PRO4 Intel HD 4000 Black screen randomly on HTPC setup.

What model Pioneer is it?
    Is there an external HDMI switch in use between the computer and Pioneer?
    All HDMI cable routing clear of power cords and distanced from other wirings possible EMI/RFI radiating effects?
    HDMI running pretty much straight out the back of the computer or is there some cable strain/pressure on the computers HDMI port?
    Strain on connections anywhere else in the chain?
    Is there adequate power to all needed devices? ie: not two power strips being used in/from one wall outlet/circuit powering a myriad of devices
    And lastly, while hotly debated and judged flame bait by those that do not grasp good cable and connector/terminator design and construction, are you using quality cables?

BTW, nice 60PA6500. I bought the 50 and would have bought the 60 but I'm right at the edge for a comfortable viewing distance so I erred on the side of caution. Nice panel with excellent controls. The first two here went back for bad pixels with the third being a keeper.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

One more.

Not knowing your setup in use, can you bypass any possible switch and the Pioneer and run the signal direct, computer to 6500, to rule out, well, many things?

Again, not knowing your setup I might also suggest swapping cables but many times that's just an impossibility. ie: in-wall cabling.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

The LG is a very respectable 60" Plasma for the price. It wasn't my first choice, but was well worth it for the savings. The HDMI cable that runs from my AVR to the TV is in the wall and I really don't want to go through the hassle of replacing it just yet. It didn't think the HDMI cable would matter, but I did change from a mini HDMI to full size HDMI when switching out the graphics card. The HDMI cable I'm using now to connect the PC to AVR is an Amazon Basics brand. So to test your theory I just ordered a higher quality cable made by Mediabridge from Amazon.com (Amazon.com: Mediabridge High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (6 ft) - Ultra Series - Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return [Newest Standard]: Electronics) which has better shielding and a higher grade wire. It will arrive this Friday (March 8th 2013). I'll update this post with my findings then.

Thanks for the insight.

Hooking the new cable between the PC and AVR most likely won't "prove' much, if anything.

Connecting the PC directly to the panel provides an opportunity to, in one fell swoop, make a determination if it is/was being caused by another device/setting/cable/etc that was just bypassed while connected directly. Assuming the fading and to black is remedied while connected this way.

Again, what model of Pioneer?

Did this just up and start happening one day? Or has it acted this way from the get go when introduced? Make any recent additions or changes that may have coincided with the introduction of this happening?

There are just too many possibilities that may cause this. Not feeding the AVR one of it's natively accepted resolutions(xxx/i vs xxx/p). The scaler in either the AVR or panel. Could be the HD 4000 itself too. Those only begin to scratch at what may be the cause.

Note/Caution

I do not use my panel in/with an HTPC so please refer to the panels User Manual for proper connections while connecting directly to a PC.

I swapped out the HDMI cable that is running between the HTPC and AVR 2 days ago. So far I haven't seen the screen flicker once! I really can't believe it was the cable after all. I continue to monitor the connection and report back here if it starts acting up again.

My AVR is a Pioneer VSX-918V
    Last edited by JESTSTAR; 03-13-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JESTSTAR View Post
    I swapped out the HDMI cable this is running between the HTPC and AVR 2 days ago. So far I haven't seen the screen flicker once! I really can't believe it was the cable after all.
    Sounds promising then.

parsec is offline Senior Member

wardog wrote:

Connecting the PC directly to the panel provides an opportunity to, in one fell swoop, make a determination if it is/was being caused by another device/setting/cable/etc that was just bypassed while connected directly. Assuming the fading and to black is remedied while connected this way.

This is the best test you could have done, remove the middle man. You did the next best one, swapping the cable from the source to the switch/routing device. Besides the cable, there was a possibility that the AVR had a problem, from basic things like its connectors being bad, to some problem in the connecting or switch circuitry. Fortunately that was not the problem.

Most HDMI cables have 24 - 26 gauge wire (hopefully!) which is small but fine for low current use. OTOH, it is more delicate and easily damaged, particularly at the wire-connector connection. The HDMI plug could also be the problem, very small contacts with just a simple friction fit. It's not good to let the cables just hang unsupported when in use, all the stress is on the connectors, and if the HDMI jack on a AVR, etc, is damaged, that is not a cheap fix.

The issue might also have been caused by dust or corrosion on the contacts, I use the PC dust-off products to blow the dust out of jacks and plugs all the time.

Thread Information