Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Ram issue with Extreme 4

Default Ram issue with Extreme 4

Hello all, first post. I put together the kit below this past weekend. Have been running into RAM issues from day 1. I know my memory isn't on the approved list but I'm running 1 of the 2 sticks on this machine right now and it seems to be ok. the issue is when I put in the other stick in is when all hell breaks loose. Blue screens, reboots at bios splash screen...etc. I have the timing set to stock, per Corsair and voltages are at 1.50. Should I play with the CAS or Latency settings to get a more stable machine or just return these sticks for one on the Asrock approved list? I did get a free stick from Newegg of 8 gigs but it also isn't on the approved list. Any help would be appreciated.
    Asrock Extreme 4, 8 gigs (4x2) Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2x21339R, Samsung 840M SSD, Corsair HX850 PSU, GTX 560Ti GPU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler, i5-3570k

Default Re: Ram issue with Extreme 4

Hello and Welcome.

?? CMZ8GX3M2x21339R ??

Please recheck and correct. That didn't get me anywhere.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Asrock Extreme 4, 8 gigs (4x2) Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2x21339R, Samsung 840M SSD, Corsair HX850 PSU, GTX 560Ti GPU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler, i5-3570k

parsec is offline Senior Member

Very few Corsair products in the Memory Support List, closest I could find is CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R PK1, the 16 being a 4 x 4GB kit. You just can't use any memory with new boards, not like in the DDR2 days.

I would suggest trying the latency settings on Auto, use DIMM slots A2 and B2, and try both sticks at say 1866, 1.5V, and set the VCCSA Voltage up a notch or two (which may increase CPU temps a bit, the memory controller is in the CPU.)

If you can't get both DIMMs to boot at 1866 or 2000, I wouldn't waste anymore time, and get memory from the list, or memory known to work that's not on the list.

The reviews on NewEgg are indicative of some timing and voltage issues with this particular memory.

Worth a read through them for maybe some help/starting point but yea the jump from 1866 to 2133 on memory alone is over-hyped and not noticeable.

If after reading there ya need more help post back what you've tried or where their at and we'll see about taking them further.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    The reviews on NewEgg are indicative of some timing and voltage issues with this particular memory.
    After rethinking this, unless you have some blood kinship ties with this particular set I'd return them. Too much trouble for something that shouldn't present this much trouble. For as many, you included, as they seem to be.

Well, Newegg told me that I've passed by 30 day window by 3 weeks. oh well, it was worth a try to return. i'll try the above and it that doesn't work, put them up on Ebay and buy me some new sticks. Sucks!

Well, try some of what's posted/suggested in the reviews. If you get to a point where they fire up and you think they have some more to give post back.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Yo 'Dawg, I noticed on the 'Egg that our favorite Sammy memory is no longer listed! They've got all of one product, a new one I think, the M378B5273EB0-CK0, a 4GB DIMM, with no mention of 30nm chips. What's up with that!

Well, setting the memory to a lower 1866 ghz seems to be working. I haven't had an lock ups (knock on wood) and took a graphic intensive aircraft in Flight Simulator X for a ride and no stutters and graphic glitches, smooth the whole way, which is saying a lot for FSX. I'm hoping this solved the issue and I'll have no need to report back. If so, you'll hear from me. Thanks everyone.

Thread Information