Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 Pro4-M No video output

snowshed is offline Junior Member

Question Z77 Pro4-M No video output

I wanted to build my own computer in order to get what I wanted. I finally got started assembling the parts yesterday.

I didn't expect it to be problem free, although I had hoped for that, and the problem started right off the back.

On power up, there is no video display, either VDA or DVI. The monitor goes directly into the Power Saving Mode.

I'm not sure what pieces of information folks need to offer help, so I'll just list things that I think may help. Feel free to ask any questions, request me to do almost anything. One thing I will not do is rob a bank!
    1. The monitor is a Dell U2417M.
    2. 8GB of RAM
    3. Asrock DVD is in the drive, and the drive appears to check and see if a disk has been inserted.
    4. DVD SATA cable is installed on Sata2 connector, SATA2_4, Item 21, page 2 of the manual supplied.
    5. Boot drive will be SSD, currently disconnected from the motherboard.
    6. Data drive will be mechanical, currently disconnected from the motherboard.
    7. CPU cooling fan runs.

What have I missed that is the current problem?????

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 Pro4-M No video output

Do you have the CPU and your memory installed in the mother board? What model CPU and memory are you using?

What is the video source of your PC? A video card, or the CPU's on board video?

You apparently do not have Windows or whatever OS you will be using, correct?

Assuming that everything is connected correctly, without an OS installed, the most you will see displayed is your board's splash/start up screen, and if you press the Del key, you can get into the BIOS. You will not see anything from the ASR DVD in the DVD drive, until Windows is installed.

You really should list all of your components in the system spec portion of your forum account.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Do you have the CPU and your memory installed in the mother board? What model CPU and memory are you using?
    Intel I5-3470, 8GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR3 RAM. The RAM was selected by the store salesman when I purchased the motherboard.

What is the video source of your PC? A video card, or the CPU's on board video?
    On board video.

You apparently do not have Windows or whatever OS you will be using, correct?
    Windows 7 Ultimate is in hand.

Assuming that everything is connected correctly, without an OS installed, the most you will see displayed is your board's splash/start up screen, and if you press the Del key, you can get into the BIOS. You will not see anything from the ASR DVD in the DVD drive, until Windows is installed.
    This is the problem, no splash screen. If it had come up, I was going to go into the BIOS and make sure it was set for the SSD. After that, I was expecting the ASR DVD to run.

You really should list all of your components in the system spec portion of your forum account.
    I wasn't aware that it needed to there, is it available for folks like you to see and then help with questions? I don't mind listing it, just didn't know it was viewable by others. This is only the 2nd time I've started a thread here.

Hi snowshed,

Please kindly refer to below suggestions to check your system.
    1. Turn off the system power and unplug the power cord. Then clear CMOS to try.
    2. Re-install CPU, memory and check if the devices are installed correctly.
    3. Remove other devices and only install the necessary device (CPU, a stick memory) to check if system can enter to BIOS setup normally.
    4. If possible, please kindly change another CPU or memory to check whether system boot.

Thank you very much!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Hi, Emily,

A couple of questions for clarification:

Quote Originally Posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
    I just read the instructions in the manual. Would you also like me to remove the battery to clear the additional settings?

Since this step says to re-install the CPU, do you want me to remove the CPU before clearing the CMOS?

Thanks.

Hi snowshed,

For clear CMOS, please adjust the jumper of "Clear CMOS" to pin2-3 for clearing CMOS.

If the sytem still no display after clearing CMOS, please try to re-install CPU and memory.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Per your request, all data that I can currently list for the system is entered.

Quote Originally Posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
    Please kindly refer to below suggestions to check your system.
    3. Remove other devices and only install the necessary device (CPU, a stick memory) to check if system can enter to BIOS setup normally.
    4. If possible, please kindly change another CPU or memory to check whether system boot.
    Feeling a bit embarrassed at the moment. Cleared CMOS. When I removed the CPU cooling fan I discovered I'd missed connecting the ATX 12v power plug. :-( I did try a boot test with the CPU and memory removed, then just the CPU, and then added the memory. There's only one way the CPU and memory chips can be installed.

But, still no splash screen. However, the system now cycles on and off every 8-9 seconds.

I don't have another CPU or extra memory.

I also tried a VGA cable. In this mode, the monitor reported there was no signal from the computer.

Next? :-)

FYI, there is no time crunch in solving the problem. Except for the CPU, I bought the parts for this project last Thanksgiving, and just started assembling last Friday.

Quick cursory thoughts.

KB and mouse using the rear I/O USB 2.0 ports, and not the ports on the monitor or connected via another usb hub?

Does the monitor have a manual input selection that might be looking for/at the incorrect connection port?

Cycles every 8-9secs huh? ...........
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Quick cursory thoughts.
    KB and mouse using the rear I/O USB 2.0 ports, and not the ports on the monitor or connected via another usb hub?
    Correct.

Does the monitor have a manual input selection that might be looking for/at the incorrect connection port?
    I've tried the DVI, VGA, and Auto options. Nada for any splash screen or POST report/test.

Cycles every 8-9secs huh? ...........
    Yep. Power it on, runs for 8-9 seconds, shuts down. Shortly, it repeats that scenario.

Thread Information