Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock 970 pro3 + amd phenom ii x4 955

themaster1 is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock 970 pro3 + amd phenom ii x4 955

Hi guys my first post here.

I just bought a mobo ASROCK 970 PRO3 specs here + a AMD PHENOM II X4 955 (black edition), Am3 socket
    This processor has a memory controller that works at 667Mhz and thus work with ddr3-1333 (PC3-10600)
    I've read a benchmark where they test ddr3-1333 Vs ddr3-1600 see here so now i'm wondering which type i should get.
    To complicate things further i've read on this forum that many people have problems with ddr3-1600

If you can enlighten me on this

Another thing about PSU

This mobo require a PSu with ErP/EuP Ready will i be in trouble if i use non erp ready psu , i'd hate to buy a new psu this one cost me money it's a zalman Zm600 see here
    Last edited by themaster1; 03-16-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Default Re: Asrock 970 pro3 + amd phenom ii x4 955

Your benchmark link is using an Intel SB which has a better memory controller than your AMD. Thus it's an apples to oranges comparison. And that's coming from a lifelong AMD guy.

I'll take away from your post you know little of OC'ing so I would suggest for a painless first experience getting some decent 1333 sticks that you can fall back to. Experiment OC'ing with these until you have the basics and confidence then upgrade to a better/higher memory. In OC'ing AMD's do be aware that the stock cooler is only good to a rather limited OC range and after that you'll also need to upgrade the cooling and maybe case fans too. They run hot.

Your ZM600 should be fine. "ErP/EuP Ready" are EU standards for power consumption. Google "ErP/EuP Ready" and you'll get a more thorough explanation.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

themaster1 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Asrock 970 pro3 + amd phenom ii x4 955

Allright your post confirm the infos i've gathered the past few days. Apparently the best cas (latency) the better something like 7-7-7-20 would be ideal i've read but it seems i can't find ddr3 CL7 for sell only CL9, any idea why ?

For the cooler i will reuse my current cooler which is a noctua Nh-C12P-Se14 multisockets compatible (except a screw is missing for the AMD set!).
    So far it worked great ~35C with my pentium4 3Ghz (95Watts)

What brand do you recommand given your experience in OC. I've found brands like Patriots, Gskill, Corsair there are many. Gamers seem to prefer corsair or g.skill over here, i guess there is a reason.
    Also, are heat sinks on the ram modules really necessary for a moderate OC (i think i will OC it to about 3.9Ghz (i've read tests, it's doable)

edit:
    The best i could find so far (in my price range) has a CAS8
    G.Skill Ripjaws X, 2 x 2 Go, PC3-10666, CAS 8, 1.5V (8-8-8-24-N)
    Reference: F3-10666CL8D-4GBXM

Problem is it's not in the compatible list, the one that's compatible and close to it is the G.SKILL F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM

What do you think should i take the risk or not ?
    Last edited by themaster1; 03-16-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Thread Information