Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AsRock Extreme5 Z77 Overclocking Help.

Gnowai is offline Junior Member

Default AsRock Extreme5 Z77 Overclocking Help.

Hi guys,

About 8 months ago i built my current PC, put the pieces together booted it then overclock without a problem. Not to long ago i did a OS reinstall and updated all my drivers BIOS etc. At this point i lost my OC which was at 4.2GHz stable so i went to do it again but was greeted with the new 2.6 BIOS for my Mobo. It had all these features from turbo ration and what not, i promptly turned off turbo and set CPU to All CPU 42 rebooted and turned Prime95 on with HWiNFO64 running..

My cpu speed never went above 3.2GHz

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my CPU to ran at 4.2GHz even with turbo, i yet to witness turbo kick in.

Any idea what is going on here?

PC Specs:

Asrock Extreme6 Z77
    Intel 3570K
    EVGA GTX 670
    CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000W

Thank you.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: AsRock Extreme5 Z77 Overclocking Help.

I think this issue is due to your new OS installation, and specifically your Windows Power Option, or power plan. It sounds like your power plan is set to Balanced, as it is by default. With Turbo disabled in the BIOS, and not using the High performance power plan, the CPU speed won't reach 4.2GHz. Your SpeedStep and C1E/C States settings in combination with the Turbo setting may also be influencing your OC level.

BTW, when using your board and CPU, it is impossible to have Intel Turbo Boost disabled and CPU Ratio set to All Cores at the same time. You can set Turbo to disabled if CPU Ratio is set to Auto, but if you then change CPU Ratio to All Cores, Intel Turbo Boost changes to enabled.

The way that Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs are over clocked is not the same as the earlier generations of Intel CPUs with locked multipliers. It was a common procedure to disable Turbo on the earlier generation CPUs, and increase the BCLK and CPU voltage to OC. SB and IB CPUs must have Turbo enabled in order to increase the multiplier, which is the main way to OC those CPUs.
    Last edited by parsec; 03-18-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Sorry for the late feedback, i thought i had replied but i guess i forgot to hit submit.

Anyways, i changed my power settings to High Performance then changed some settings in BIOS like so:

CPU Ratio: ALL - 42
    Advance Turbo 30 - Enabled
    Speedstep - Enabled

C-State C3 & C6 Enabled

Enhanced Halt State - Enabled C1E

Intel Virtualization technology - Disabled

Still when i run Prime95 and CPU-Z the clock goes no more then 3.4GHz

Sorry but bump.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gnowai View Post
    Sorry for the late feedback, i thought i had replied but i guess i forgot to hit submit.

Anyways, i changed my power settings to High Performance then changed some settings in BIOS like so:

CPU Ratio: ALL - 42
    Advance Turbo 30 - Enabled
    Speedstep - Enabled

C-State C3 & C6 Enabled

Enhanced Halt State - Enabled C1E

Intel Virtualization technology - Disabled

Still when i run Prime95 and CPU-Z the clock goes no more then 3.4GHz
    So you have Advanced Turbo 30, the automatic OC setting feature enabled, but then set some things manually? That might cause problems.

Given your other settings, just disable Advanced Turbo 30, it is not required to OC. It would probably be best to clear the CMOS/BIOS with the switch on the rear I/O panel, then go into the BIOS and reset anything you need, reset your CPU settings you listed, but don't enable Turbo 30 or any of the other auto-OC features. You should be fine after that.

Changed settings as recommended and still no OC

I did however find that i could boost the CPU speed by changing the BCLK settings but i've read alot to not change that so i've left at default for now.

Thread Information