Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Is there a diagnostic tool for the Z77 Extreme 4 ?

Hantslass is offline Junior Member

Default Is there a diagnostic tool for the Z77 Extreme 4 ?

Hi everyone

I'm new to this site, but i'm hoping someone might be able to advise if there is a diagnostic tool to check my Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard is functioning properly as I've searched but can't find anything.

Reason for me asking is that im a keen flight simmer who was having so many problems with my off the shelf Dell Studio, that i finally bit the bullet and decided to build my own... but in the 4 weeks since, i've had nothing but problems (my event viewer log is a MASS of red and yellow).
    My last BSOD had a message on the screen about a 'clock response not being received within a specified time from secondary processor'... or something like that (it disappeared before i could write it down). The error logs says the following:
    A corrected hardware error has occurred.
    Reported by component: Processor Core
    Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
    Error Type: Internal parity error
    Processor ID: 2

I've tried reinstalling windows and all the software that came with the mobo and graphics card, to no avail. Only thing i haven't done is update the BIOS from the 2.0 which was shipped with the board, but looking at the update list there doesn't seem to be anything on there which fits in with the problems i've been having.

I'm now looking at a complete wipe and reinstall from scratch, but i want to test everything from the drives, CPU, memory and board.. I've found programs on the net for everything but a diagnostic tool for the motherboard.

Anyone have any bright ideas ?

Thanks, in anticipation
    Hantslass

Default Re: Is there a diagnostic tool for the Z77 Extreme 4 ?

Please go HERE, scroll down and fill in the "System Specs' so that we know what you have there component wise that your computer is comprised of.

Is there any indication in Device Manager that something is amiss? No "!" 's in there?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    fill in the "System Specs' so that we know what you have there component wise that your computer is comprised of.

Is there any indication in Device Manager that something is amiss? No "!" 's in there?
    Hi Wardog
    Thanks for responding :-)
    I filled in the specs when i registered.. no idea why they arent showing up

Here they are:
    MB - z77 extreme 4
    CPU - i7 - 3770k (unclocked)
    Master Cooler Hyper 412s Heat Sink
    12GB ram (2 x 4 & 2 x 2)
    Graphics: Asus Nvidia GTX660t1
    PSU: Corsair TX 850
    128GB SSD (with win 7 64bit)
    1TB HDD - 2 partitions
    160GB HDD - for Backups
    No additonal sound cards. Dell Keyboard/mouse (USB)
    Display: 3 x 32" LCD tvs connected via Triple Head To Go.

I checked the device manager yesterday and didn't notice anything that looked wrong, but will double check when Memtest has finished running... i'm logged on to another PC at the mo to reply.

Any thoughts?
    Hantslass

There they go. They're showing now. Thanks.

Well, for starters you might update to the latest BIOS, P2.80. Many times they'll include and or roll up fixes in new BIOS releases that aren't or did not get documented.

If that doesn't fix you up I'll point you to the latest Intel INF and IME driver on Intels site.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Oh! To answer your question, no, there isn't a program that will check the integrity of your system, on a whole anyways.

Thanks for the response Wardog.
    I've never flashed a bios before, and due to the system crashing and Blue screening without notice perhaps i should not use the internet based update facility just in case it crashes in the middle of updating. I read somewhere that you could download the bios on a pen drive and then update from there.. will have to go back and see if i can find the instructions.
    Really hope that works..
    I think a complete rebuild is on the cards anyway as there are some very strange goings on with my flight sim which i've never had on other PCs.. that will be one for the FSX forums.
    Thanks again for your help. I'll update this post if i get it fixed.
    :-)
    Hantslass

AsRock Z77 extreme 4, i7 - 3770k (unclocked), Master Cooler Hyper 412s Heat Sink, 12GB ram (2 x 4 & 2 x 2), Asus Nvidia GTX660ti, Corsair TX 850 psu, 128GB SSD (with win 7 64bit), 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 160GB HDD - for Backups, Display: 3 x 32" LCD tvs connected via Triple Head To Go. Xpredator Case

If while in the BIOS the system is stable, meaning only problems in Windows and MemTest checks out OK, using the Instant Flash method from within the BIOS is my recommended way to update/flash.

ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction

If you're questioning the memory, knock it down to one pair or the other, MemTest them, and if they check out I myself wouldn't hesitate. Note: Do not perform flashing if inclement weather is near and has the effect of knocking out the power. This would result is major headache entailing warranty repairs.

I'm absent minded this am.

Instant Flash with the BIOS files on a USB stick in a USB 2.0 port located on the rear I/O panel of the MB. No USB hub, plugged straight into the MB.

Thread Information