Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 Extreme4: How to boot to efi shell?

ajerman is offline Junior Member

Default Z77 Extreme4: How to boot to efi shell?

Okay, I flash UEFI firmware all day for a living, so this is kind of frustrating that this is so difficult, as is the fact that there are no working tech support links on the asrock website. I need to boot into an efi shell, however, no matter what I do, I can't get the system to recognize any device I have the Shellx64.efi file on. No matter what I do, I just get "Not found" when selecting boot efi shell from device. I just read the manual, and it says, and I quote:

Launch EFI Shell from filesystem deviceAttempts to Launch EFI Shell application (Shell64.efi) from one of the
    available filesystem devices.
    Is this UEFI looking for "Shell64.efi"? Or "Shellx64.efi" like everyone else uses? Does it want the file in the root folder or in a different folder? Also, can you tell me what I need to do in terms of partitioning and formatting (FAT32 I gather, is MBR fine? GPT?), and if any certain USB port (been using a USB2) is required to get a USB key with the Shellx64 or Shell64 file to actually boot into the efi shell?

Oh, and my UEFI version is 2.80. Thanks.

Default Re: Z77 Extreme4: How to boot to efi shell?

Try this, as if the rear USB2.0 ports on your EX4 are like my EX6, the rear USB2.0 ports are ASMedia controlled ports.

Attempt using the two blue ports below the universal PS/2 KB/Mouse port. These I know on my EX6 are Z77 USB3.0 ports. The two ports provided by the MB's front USB3.0 header are also I believe connected to the Z77.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Try this, as if the rear USB2.0 ports on your EX4 are like my EX6, the rear USB2.0 ports are ASMedia controlled ports.

Attempt using the two blue ports below the universal PS/2 KB/Mouse port. These I know on my EX6 are Z77 USB3.0 ports. The two ports provided by the MB's front USB3.0 header are also I believe connected to the Z77.
    Wow, that was it. I put it in the top USB3 ports and it worked just fine. I thought I was trying to be as compatible as possible by sticking to a USB2 port, that's why I picked those specifically. Makes sense now that you explain it though! Thanks for the help.

Great to hear. Native is the word I should have used above.

Same thing goes with a CD/DVD/BD EFI booting. Keep it on the Z77's native controllers, not the ASMedia, and you'll have no problems.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Uhm, all the USB 2.0 ports are provided by the Intel chipset, the ASMedia is USB 3.0 only. I think you have a typo in your first post about the ASMedia ports being USB 2.0, wardog. Plus there are two sets of blue USB 3.0 ports on the EX 4, I believe the top are ASMedia, the lower ones Intel.

ajerman, what is the source of your shellx64.efi file? I can't get mine to work, although the USB flash drive is recognized in the System Browser, at least on the USB 2.0 ports.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Uhm, all the USB 2.0 ports are provided by the Intel chipset, the ASMedia is USB 3.0 only. I think you have a typo in your first post about the ASMedia ports being USB 2.0, wardog. Plus there are two sets of blue USB 3.0 ports on the EX 4, I believe the top are ASMedia, the lower ones Intel.

ajerman, what is the source of your shellx64.efi file? I can't get mine to work, although the USB flash drive is recognized in the System Browser, at least on the USB 2.0 ports.
    I can't seem to find verification on the USB 2.0 ports controller anywhere in the manual. I can verify for sure that the top USB 3.0 ports are Z77, and the bottom are ASMedia, but it doesn't say anything about the USB 2.0 ports. Regardless, ASMedia or Z77, it didn't like booting EFI shell from the USB 2.0 ports.

As for the SATA ports, I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't verify for sure, but I THOUGHT I had my SSD and BD drives both in the SATA3_A0 and SATA3_A1 ports which would be ASMedia ports without issue booting UEFI for Windows and Linux CDs. Actually I take that back, a Windows CD, I booted Linux from USB and I can't recall the port. So maybe that doesn't matter as much, but it's probably still a good idea to use Z77 controlled SATA3_0 and SATA3_1. I needed EFI shell to flash my LSI RAID card, so I won't be using those anyway except for probably the BD drive which I will put on SATA3_0. For reference, the SATA2_0-4 ports are all Z77 ports as well.

As for the source of the file, I ended up having to use shell_full.efi from https://edk2.svn.sourceforge.net/svn...Shell_Full.efi. Shell.efi from the same source is UEFI Shell 2.0 (requiring UEFI 2.3+) which sas2flash.efi which I was using complained about, the UEFI Shell 1.0 (shell_full.efi), as I understand, should be fully compatible with any version of UEFI, so I'd just use that. Format your USB to FAT32, copy the file in the USB root folder and name it Shellx64.efi (At first I booted with Shellx64.efi and Shell64.efi based on my question in my first post, after it worked I deleted Shell64.efi and it still worked, so Shellx64.efi is indeed correct), put it in one of the top USB 3.0 ports, and it shouldn't have any issue.

Hopefully some of this info can help others as I searched for hours without much luck on these topics. I'm back to being very happy with my Z77 Extreme4 so far. Looking forward to getting everything set up on the RAID card to see how fast this thing really is.

Here's where I found some information about the EFI shells and download links if you need anything more: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...download_links. My link above was the x86_64 UEFI Shell 1.0 version.
    Last edited by ajerman; 03-22-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Actually, I take back what I said again. I can't verify which ports are which from the manual. The most it says is that two USB 3.0 ports are Z77, and two are ASMedia, but I don't see it clarifying which like I thought I did at first. Same with the USB 2.0, no mention of what controls them. So at this point for all I know maybe the top ARE the ASMedia ports and that is what it wants your USB drive in for EFI shell, regardless, the top are the ones that I can confirm work either way. Past that, if they work the same in the OS, I guess I don't really care which are which.

Thread Information