Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to set CPU Fan?

Default How to set CPU Fan?

I have AsRcok z77 Pro3 mainboard, and standard setting is Full Speed for CPU Fan. I wanted to change it, so when teperature is low, my fan would run slower, and when temp is high faster. Changing Fan Target Speed changes speed instantly, but what "Target temperature" does? Seems not to do anything.
    How to set this so i get slow fan speed, but automaticly run faster when it needs?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How to set CPU Fan?

You did not mention how you are adjusting the CPU fan settings, in the BIOS or with AXTU.

In the BIOS, in the H/W Monitor section, CPU Fan can be set to Automatic, which will vary the fan's speed depending on the CPU temperature. Set the fan's Target Speed to four or five, or whatever is low as possible while still giving you a good CPU idle temperature. I agree that Target Temperature does very little or nothing, and is not explained at all in the manual or BIOS help information.

Some of the fans used with CPU coolers are very sensitive and run to fast with even the lowest fan speed setting. You also did not say what CPU cooler you are using.

TheRoo is offline Junior Member

Hi all

Noobie here...please be gentle

I have a new ASRock Z77-EXTREME4-M Intel Z77
    with
    Intel I7 3770 IVY BRIDGE CPU : Core i7 Processor, 3.4GHz, LGA1155, Quad Core 8 Threads, 8M Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology (up to 3.9GHz), 22nm, with FAN

Main use is HTPC- so silence is golden

1st Question

Does the cpu fan run all the time. on this motherboard? Currently it is on constantly (with variable speed). My last rig, the cpu fan only "kicked in" when required.
    I have played with both the BIOS setting (ie manual and auto) and software provided UEFI SETUP UTILITY. Have I missed something?

Second Question
    If Question one is no..
    What "setting" can I do for the CPU fan to only "kick in" at a respectable temp.

Third question...slightly off topic
    My case has 2 x sidemounted 120mm TriCool 3- speed fans - 2 pin (+12v and -12V)
    Can I connect to the motherboard? via the 3 pin chassis fan on the motherboard connection and is it possible to control the speed and again "kick in" at a respectable temp

Thanks in advance

The CPU cooler's fan runs constantly, completely normal. There is no way in the BIOS to adjust it to run at high temperatures only, or be off part of the time. Actually, a CPU fan speed of less than ~500 RPM is considered a major error in most BIOS'. I'm assuming you are using the stock Intel CPU cooler? If you unplugged the fan from the board, the PC would shutdown in about five minutes due to CPU overheating. Or at best CPU throttling would kick in, slowing it down in an attempt to keep it cool.

I'm intrigued about what CPU was able to operate with the CPU cooler fan running only occasionally. It must have been a very simple, slow processor, or it used a very large CPU cooler that was able to run in passive mode (no fan) some of the time. I've never heard of such a device. You have the wrong CPU for passive cooling, Intel does have some low TDP models (i7-3770T) that might be able to be passively cooled, given a large enough passive cooler (meaning huge), but they can be hard to find, and pricey.

You can try things like manually setting the CPU multiplier as low as possible, 16 may be the limit, and finding the lowest manual CPU voltage that will allow the CPU to operate. You could try getting a manual fan speed controller for the CPU fan, and turn it way down or (cringe!) off, but you better monitor the CPU temperature if you want to avoid random shutdowns. Or you can get the largest CPU cooler you can find, and use speed limiting resistors on the fan to slow it way down. The SilverStone Heligon HE02 weight a bit under one Kilo, and is a good passive CPU cooler.

IF your Antec fans are really only two pin fans (+12V and Ground/Earth, actually) you won't be able to monitor their speed/RPM.

Question 3 is also a No, mother board fan controllers are designed to supply enough voltage/power so 99.9% of fans will ALWAYS spin up, even at the lowest speed setting. They have an unspoken requirement to never have a fan shut off.

You may find this site helpful: silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers

TheRoo is offline Junior Member

The CPU cooler's fan runs constantly, completely normal.
    Thanks for that answer...currently my CPU fan RPM is in high 1400's

I'm assuming you are using the stock Intel CPU cooler?
    Correct

I'm intrigued about what CPU was able to operate with the CPU cooler fan running only occasionally. It must have been a very simple, slow processor, or it used a very large CPU cooler that was able to run in passive mode (no fan) some of the time. I've never heard of such a device. You have the wrong CPU for passive cooling, Intel does have some low TDP models (i7-3770T) that might be able to be passively cooled, given a large enough passive cooler (meaning huge), but they can be hard to find, and pricey.
    Correct again I cannot quite remember but was an old 2 core ...i think 2.1.ghz CPU and Yes was very slow, thus the upgrade...but the cpu fan only "kicked in" as required.

You can try things like manually setting the CPU multiplier as low as possible, 16 may be the limit, and finding the lowest manual CPU voltage that will allow the CPU to operate. You could try getting a manual fan speed controller for the CPU fan, and turn it way down or (cringe!) off, but you better monitor the CPU temperature if you want to avoid random shutdowns. Or you can get the largest CPU cooler you can find, and use speed limiting resistors on the fan to slow it way down. The SilverStone Heligon HE02 weight a bit under one Kilo, and is a good passive CPU cooler.
    I might try the multiplier tonight..thanks for the tip

IF your Antec fans are really only two pin fans (+12V and Ground/Earth, actually) you won't be able to monitor their speed/RPM.
    As I suspected...thanks for the confirmation

Question 3 is also a No, mother board fan controllers are designed to supply enough voltage/power so 99.9% of fans will ALWAYS spin up, even at the lowest speed setting. They have an unspoken requirement to never have a fan shut off.
    Thank you for the confimation

[/QUOTE]

Will have alook

Currently my CPU temp max is only 35C and motherboard about 30C so I not getting hot and the fans are reasonably silent. I might look at 3-4 pin chassis fans and connect them to motherboard so at least these fans will run at min speed to help quieting things down about

Thanks for your help and for getting back to me!!

TheRoo, using either the BIOS or AXTU, you should be able to reduce the speed and noise of the Intel CPU cooler. I hope it does not run at 1400 RPM at setting of Level '1', and if not set it to Automatic and then to level 1, the lowest speed.

My boards UEFI/BIOS (similar to yours) had an update that added the "Custom" fan speed option for the CPU fan. When set to Custom, you then enter a digit between... I forget, 1 - 200 (?), to set the fan speed. Just an arbitrary number that means nothing except higher numbers cause a faster speed, smaller numbers a lower speed. You'll need to experiment with it to learn how your CPU fan reacts to a number/setting, all fans are different. You can turn the fan speed way down, and it will increase slowly if the CPU temp rises by a fair amount. You can get that CPU fan much slower than it is using Automatic and Level 1.

Thread Information