Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: how to OC an i5 3.3ghz 2500k on ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3? (beginner OC questions plz help)

MorePower! is offline Junior Member

Default how to OC an i5 3.3ghz 2500k on ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3? (beginner OC questions plz help)

I'm trying to figure out how to overclock my cpu from 3.3ghz i5 2500k up to 4.5 or 4.6ghz. I'm completely new to messing with the bios however.

Where is a good place to start in OCing? Should I start off messing with the cpu ratio stuff and put that and the voltage up higher and see what happens? I've read that you need to sometimes turn off speed step, spread spectrum, and the c state support (and C3 and C6 too). I don't want to go in there and just start randomly turning things off or on with no rhyme or reason. Thoughts on what may need to be turned off first and what can be left on?

KrisW is offline Junior Member

Default Re: how to OC an i5 3.3ghz 2500k on ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3? (beginner OC questions plz help)

Default Re: how to OC an i5 3.3ghz 2500k on ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3? (beginner OC questions plz help)

Thanks for the link. this guide is awesome.

At the end of the guide under "Getting closer..." I don't understand what the process is here. What is the initial test for this stage? Also if you fail it, how are we supposed to achieve the max cpu multiplier if we reduce the cpu multiplier? Why does the 2nd fail say "(max vcore)" there? Is there two separate ways to fail the test?

parsec is offline Senior Member

The initial test is: TEST: Pass 5min of "The Prime Test".

There is an entry for Prime Test, that describes how to run the Prime 95 program to test the OC, for five minutes.

First, Max Vcore is the maximum CPU voltage that is considered safe for your CPU. That should have been stated earlier in the guide, or instructions given to find it.

Notice what each condition states:

PASS: Increase the CPU multiplier by 1.
    FAIL: Increase the Turbo Boost by 1 spot. (Note: Vcore less than Max Vcore)
    FAIL (Max Vcore): Decrease the CPU multiplier by 1.

Notice the text color following the word FAIL. The first one is black, the second red. The first one assumes you have not reached the max Vcore of your CPU, so you can increase voltage and try again. I added a note to that line as a reminder. The second FAIL is the max Vcore condition, you can't increase Vcore anymore, so you have hit a hard fail, you can't continue. More detail below.

The first fail, FAIL: Increase the Turbo Boost by 1 spot., means to increase the "Additional Turbo Voltage" setting by one step above the current setting, in the list provided in the BIOS. Since this option may have different names in a BIOS (on my board it is called Additional Turbo Voltage), the author chose to call it "Turbo Boost Voltage", but left "Voltage" out of that line, just a typo.

The second fail, FAIL (Max Vcore): Decrease the CPU multiplier by 1. This condition just describes what happens when you reach the maximum OC your CPU/board can achieve at the maximum Vcore of your CPU. Of course you can't increase an OC forever, if you don't stop at some point you will hit an OC "wall" that you can't pass. You tried to increase the OC one more step, but it failed. That is the maximum you can achieve, the end (or 99% the end.) That limit may be the Vcore, which it usually is. At this point you have reached the max CPU multiplier, the one that passed the test, before you tried to increase it again, which failed.

It may be possible with experimentation with other settings to not fail at that OC level, but that is more difficult, with no guarantee of success. For example, some cheaper mother boards cannot supply the necessary power to the CPU to maintain the OC. Also, the CPU temperature may be to high, due to inadequate cooling, or just reaching the limits of the CPU to OC.

Read this guide several times, don't use it as a cookbook, where you do one step and then another without knowing what can happen, why it happens, and the meaning of whatever happened. It is a good guide, but as with any expert explaining something, they take things for granted, like when a doctor starts rattling off terms that we have no clue about. The guide assumed you know when you hit any absolute end condition, but did not say or repeat that every time it could have been said.

Thanks that cleared alot of it up for me.

Question about the guide when it talks about c states. I'm not sure whether I want to overclock in fixed mode or offset mode. The guide says fixed mode uses more power. I've also heard that offset mode increases the life of your cpu. So my question is how much does fixed mode reduce the life of your cpu if I wanted to say overclock from 3.3Ghz up to 4.5 or 4.6Ghz? Also how would fixed mode at these levels increase power bill cost. If the power bill were to increase by 5$ I would be okay with that. But if it were alot higher I would prefer offset mode.

Thread Information