Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd party SATA/IDE expansion card supresses Intel RST on X79 Extreme4

M76 is offline Junior Member

Default 3rd party SATA/IDE expansion card supresses Intel RST on X79 Extreme4

Since I still have optical drives with IDE/ATAPI connectors that are working just fine and I have no reason to replace them, I've installed a basic SATA/IDE expansion card into one of the PCI express slots, but now Intel RSTe refuses to work correctly. If I enable support for option boot rom in bios, depending on the bios version either only the addin card's post screen is shown or both or the intel RST screen is only shown in the background mixed in with the rest of the post messages in a generic font style. But what's common with all bios versions is that the Intel RSTe utility refuses to start in windows.
    3rd party SATA/IDE expansion card supresses Intel RST on X79 Extreme4-rste-png
    If I remove the card it starts without a problem.

Now there are no other symptoms or issues with the system, everything seems to be fine. And I don't need the Boot rom of either controller anyway. So I've disabled support for 3rd party boot roms in the bios. But there is one outstanding concern of mine remaining: I get no feedback on the RAID consistency of the installed arrays. The software doesn't work, and the bios doesn't show up and it's disabled anyway.

What to do now?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: 3rd party SATA/IDE expansion card supresses Intel RST on X79 Extreme4

This is the first time I've heard of this problem with RSTe. It is known to happen with the usual IRST driver, or I should say starting with version 11.5, and beyond.

The issue is just as you've described it, the Windows RSTe/IRST UI will not run when another SATA controller is being used. This even happens with the SATA controllers that are built into a board, the usual Marvell and ASMedia SATA chips. The driver used with these other SATA controllers makes no difference. I've never seen the POST display of the RSTe or IRST UI affected by this, but I don't use a X79 board.

The bad news is there is no fix for this problem, besides not using the other SATA controllers. If these other SATA controllers are disabled, then the RSTe/IRST UI will run in Windows normally, as you know. I've never seen anyone post a workaround for this problem.

Default Re: 3rd party SATA/IDE expansion card supresses Intel RST on X79 Extreme4

Kinda OT. Pardon.

parsec, what causes this? Is it related to the memory leak I've read about?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    This is the first time I've heard of this problem with RSTe. It is known to happen with the usual IRST driver, or I should say starting with version 11.5, and beyond.

The issue is just as you've described it, the Windows RSTe/IRST UI will not run when another SATA controller is being used. This even happens with the SATA controllers that are built into a board, the usual Marvell and ASMedia SATA chips. The driver used with these other SATA controllers makes no difference. I've never seen the POST display of the RSTe or IRST UI affected by this, but I don't use a X79 board.

The bad news is there is no fix for this problem, besides not using the other SATA controllers. If these other SATA controllers are disabled, then the RSTe/IRST UI will run in Windows normally, as you know. I've never seen anyone post a workaround for this problem.
    That doesn't sound good. But actually I do use the ASMedia Sata connectors, my system drive is connected to on of those, and also two other hard drives, and RSTe works regardless of that, I only have to remove the jmicron card. And this happens even if I connect no drives to the card at all.
    Last edited by M76; 04-01-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M76 View Post
    That doesn't sound good. But actually I do use the ASMedia Sata connectors, my system drive is connected to on of those, and also two other hard drives, and RSTe works regardless of that, I only have to remove the jmicron card. And this happens even if I connect no drives to the card at all.
    Ok, that is different behavior than the IRST driver, and is probably why I have not seen anything about it. So it only happens with the add on card. The IRST UI would not run if the built in ASMedia controller was simply enabled on my board, with nothing connected to it, which sounds similar to your issue.

Are you using the latest version of RSTe? Not that it's wrong to do that, but I wonder if this issue is very new, with a new update of RSTe.

This problem started with IRST when the driver, which was usually named iaStor, was changed to iaStorA, and when it was installed the SATA controller was then labeled by Windows as a SCSI device. Windows 7 users would also find a new driver file listed with the disk drives themselves, iaStorV.

I've read that the iaStorV driver is a "SCSI filter", which I don't understand, and is related to Intel enabling TRIM to work with RAID 0 arrays of SSDs, which did not work in the past. I'm not sure how accurate all that is.

The problem you have may also be related to changes to IRST and RSTe for Windows 8. I can tell you that this issue does NOT happen with versions of IRST that are compatible with Windows 8, and used with Windows 8. I don't have this problem with my Windows 8 PC and the same mother board and driver, but it does happen with Windows 7 with the same board and driver. The IRST drivers for Windows 8 are the 11.5 (no longer available for use with RAID, and the first iaStorA version driver), 11.6, 11.7, and the new 12.0 version for use with the soon to be available Intel series 8 chipsets. Those are the drivers that cause this problem with Windows 7 (I've never tried the 12.0 driver with Windows 7.) When these drivers are installed on Windows 8, you won't find the iaStorV driver file listed among the disk drive driver files.

The only suggestion I have now is to try a different version of RSTe, an older version, IF you are using a new version of RSTe. Do you know if the version you are now using is compatible with Windows 8? I know you use Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Kinda OT. Pardon.

parsec, what causes this? Is it related to the memory leak I've read about?
    OMG, I wish I knew exactly why this problem occurs, which I'm sure can be described at various levels of detail.

Coincidentally, the memory leak issue you mentioned was with the IRST 11.5 version driver. As I wrote above, this was the first version of IRST that had the issue of the Windows IRST UI failing to run. I don't see the memory leak this driver had being related to the UI problem, but who knows? IRST versions beyond 11.5 have the failing UI issue, but no memory leak.

The best I can come up with is this. When IRST 11.5 (11.6 and 11.7 too) are installed, the Device Manager entry for the SATA controller was labeled, or is recognized as a "SCSI" device, at least with Windows 7. That never happened with earlier versions of IRST. Why that occurs I don't know. The IRST UI only recognizes and can manipulate disks connected to the Intel SATA controller. Mother boards that have secondary SATA controllers like the Marvell or ASMedia, with disks connected to them, are not shown in the IRST UI. Those controllers also use a different driver, IRST cannot be installed on them. Windows 7 also sees these secondary controllers as SCSI devices (as I recall, I can't verify that right now.) Given that the failing IRST UI only happens when these secondary SATA controllers are active, I assume some sort of confusion occurs when the IRST UI tries to start, or it gets bad data (via Windows?) and just bails out. I've seen the IRST UI fail with an error message, or simply nothing happens (and of course I did not save the Windows error logs to check.) I thought that might be related to both of the controllers/drivers being SCSI devices, but that should not happen (HA!)

Hardly an explanation, given the handful of clues and all kinds of missing information, as my excuse.

RSTe drivers are numbered differently than IRST drivers, there are three versions available to download 3.2, 3.5, and 3.6 which is very recent, but it makes no difference whatsoever which driver is installed, I tried all three with the same result.

I don't use an X79 board, the only PC board that uses RSTe, so my suggestion was based on a hope that an earlier version would not cause your issue, since earlier versions of IRST don't have that problem. I have not seen this issue posted anywhere else, but I may have just missed it. Yes, RSTe has its own version numbering, as it is a separate software package. To bad another version made no difference.

It's strange to me that this does happen with RSTe, since that is Intel's enterprise version of their RAID software, and I'm sure add on SATA/HBA cards are commonly used in enterprise environments with the same X79 chipset. Would those customers accept this problem? Or they don't use the RSTe UI. Unless the RSTe software supplied for PC X79 boards is a different version.

Odie, if you're out there, have you seen this problem on your X79 board?

I wasn't blaming you for giving bad advice, just giving information that's all.

As for enterprise users the answer is probably that they're not using a $15 addon card fitted with a Jmicron controller. Unfortunately that's the only card with an IDE connector that I have. I have a bunch of adaptec cards lying around but those are only SAS or SATA.

Not to worry, I did not think you were blaming me for anything, I understand.

Given what your problem is, the RSTe Windows UI not running, which is exactly the same issue newer versions of IRST has, even when using built in secondary SATA controllers, I doubt it is just a cheap add on card that causes the problem. The UI failing to run issue has never happened except with the newest versions of IRST, that were released in mid 2012. I've used cheap add on cards in the past too, and never had this problem with the earlier versions of IRST. Which is why I hoped an earlier version of RSTe would not have the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information