Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Trying to boot ASROCK 970 Extreme3 with no video card (for a headless fileserver)

tommyt is offline Junior Member

Question Trying to boot ASROCK 970 Extreme3 with no video card (for a headless fileserver)

If I try to boot with no video card, I get a five beep post and nothing happens. Is there a way to boot normally without a video card? I'll access the system over SSH/telnet and have no use for a videocard. It'll just use power.

I tried looking in the settings, and the only option related to the display adapter is "pci-e/pci".

Thanks a ton!

Default Re: Trying to boot ASROCK 970 Extreme3 with no video card (for a headless fileserver)

Hello and Welcome.

"nothing happens" - Care to explain this in more detail?

Please go HERE, scroll down and fill in the "System Specs' so that we know what you have there system-wise.

970 Extreme3 or 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Default Re: Trying to boot ASROCK 970 Extreme3 with no video card (for a headless fileserver)

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Hello and Welcome.

"nothing happens" - Care to explain this in more detail?

Please go HERE, scroll down and fill in the "System Specs' so that we know what you have there system-wise.

970 Extreme3 or 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ?
    Hi Wardog,

Sorry for not including the information. Truth is, I'm just starting to build a simple file server and being a newbie and slow, not everything is attached to the motherboard yet. I just have the ram, which is a single stick of 2gb DDR3 ram, old video card, and an ethernet cable.

The MB bios version is 4.6. And nowhere does it say rev2. So I'm assuming it's not. I should mention I updated the firmware to the latest version using the automatic firmware update button in the bios.

I'm building an Unraid server, which comes in a usb key. If I plug in the USB while I have a video card plugged in, it boots to unraid just fine. I can ping the server and bring up the web interface on another computer.

However, if I take out the video card, leaving everything else the same, and turn on the computer: I get five beeps. I can't ping unraid or bring up the webinterface, so I'm assuming it didn't continue with booting.

I just searched for the beep codes again (literally just now) and found this: ASRock > Support > FAQ Where it says 5 long beeps means no VGA. Unfortunately, I previously thought it meant processor error (per this: ASRock > Support > FAQ) which clearly it wasn't.

I'm wondering if there is a setting in the bios somewhere to allow the boot process to go through without a video card. I don't want to change any settings that would leave me with no video output. I just would like to put in the video card if I ever need it. The server won't be attached to a monitor and will be managed over the network, so it's a waste of both power and a card that can be used elsewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

First up, I believe you'll need a console monitor to initially configure unRAID. I could be wrong there, but I'd imagine to configure both it's IP address and disks, among other items. I can't envision it's initial configuration to be done remotely. Could be though .......

Secondly, there is no 4.6 BIOS for either 970 EX3's. On the first/opening page of the BIOS is listed your BIOS version.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Argh. I have no idea where I saw 4.6. Sorry! The bios version is 1.7. It lists in the main tab of the UEFI setup utility: 970 Extreme3 P1.7.

And I did setup the everything I needed for unraid with a monitor. You can do everything over telnet and web interface, a monitor attached to the server is faster.

Now that all the setup is done, I'd like to take the video card out. If I do that, I get five long beeps and unraid does not boot :(

Memory installed:

Total Memory: 2048MB
    Single-Channel Memory Mode
    DDR3_A1 2048MB (DDR3-1066)

I too would like to know how to boot without a video card attached (in my case - an integrated intel vga but unattached and unused) - for my NAS build.

Long shot here as I don't see any "Halt on' settings in the BIOS for this MB.

Disable "Boot Failure Guard" and retry. I know this refers to OC'ing reset but ................ Like I said, long shot.

Failing that I'd contact ASRock Tech Support.

ASRock > Support Request Form

Have you tried toggling video cards between PCI and PCIe in the BIOS for headless operation?

Or get a cheap passively cooled PCI video card to leave in there for this purpose. Heck, anything cheap. It won't even need to support your monitors resolution. Get unRAID so it runs shutdown and then swap out a decent card for the cheap one, reboot, Viola.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Long shot here as I don't see any "Halt on' settings in the BIOS for this MB.

Disable "Boot Failure Guard" and retry. I know this refers to OC'ing reset but ................ Like I said, long shot.

Failing that I'd contact ASRock Tech Support.

ASRock > Support Request Form

Have you tried toggling video cards between PCI and PCIe in the BIOS for headless operation?

Or get a cheap passively cooled PCI video card to leave in there for this purpose. Heck, anything cheap. It won't even need to support your monitors resolution. Get unRAID so it runs shutdown and then swap out a decent card for the cheap one, reboot, Viola.
    A cheap pci card is actually an excellent idea! I didn't try switching from pci-e to pci since I don't have a pci card and if there was no output on the monitor, I would have no way of switching it back. Didn't know what I was doing you see :)

I will do a support request form like you suggested as well after I try disabling the boot failure guard tonight. Thanks a ton for your input!

Thread Information