Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z77 PRO3 for NAS build?

Default ASRock Z77 PRO3 for NAS build?

Hi all I'm new here

I'm inquiring about whether or not the ASRock Z77 PRO3 motherboard would be good for a FreeNAS build?

Drivers -

How is FreeBSD driver support? similar to linux?

The RAID card I will use, an Adaptec 6805E, has FreeBSD drivers so that's the main card covered

Also can this motherboard boot without mouse/kb and/or vga attached?

Default Re: ASRock Z77 PRO3 for NAS build?

what do you guys think? good mobo for NAS?

will it boot without m/kb/screen attached?

bump

parsec is offline Senior Member

You'll likely find very few if any users of this forum with experience or information related to your questions.

ASRock does not categorize their products into all possible uses, such as business or server type boards. You might want to check the other two big Asian names in mobos, since they cater more to that market, as well as Intel.

Do you intend to run FreeBSD or your OS from a drive/volume connected to your RAID card? If so, you must verify that any mother board you use can boot from a PCIe slot, that is not a given on most boards. The only board I've used that allowed that was an Intel board.

I doubt any of the ASR boards have a BIOS option to explicitly set No Video, or something similar to that, mine certainly don't. The best advice I can give you about booting without video if that is not a BIOS option is, use a CPU with onboard video, and a board that supports it.

A guy posted here recently about creating a headless server, with a board without onboard video support, but wanted to remove the video card after it was setup. The board/BIOS would fail to POST without video capability. He must have a video card installed even when not in use.

Thread Information