Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Issues with Rapid OC

Default Issues with Rapid OC

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I frequently have problems with rapid oc.

It's a great tool when working correctly. Quite often right after entering windows, if I try to hit the "+" button to bump the vcore it glitches.

The voltage seems to starts at 0.600V, so I have to hold the plus button down until it gets to the right value. It will bsod from lack of voltage if just pressed once or twice.

The other problem I have is the voltage will hit a wall periodically ... at say 1.52v , even though the max voltage set is higher. The on-screen will show it going up as it should, but os software and a multimeter show it has stopped at 1.52v

Anyone experience anything similar?

Specs;

Z77 OC Formula
    Seasonic X-1250 psu
    Various memory
    Corsair force GT SSD
    SSPhase & Dice cooling

Edit: On Bios 2.00, latest version of rapid oc.
    Same issues appear using windows 7, vista & xp

Last edited by Gav777; 04-04-2013 at 01:59 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Issues with Rapid OC

The absolute maximum voltage for Sandy Bridge i7-2600K CPUs is 1.52V, and is the same for an Ivy Bridge i7-3770K, 1.52V. The internal voltage controlling mechanism of these CPUs should not allow higher voltages than that. While they can be operated at this voltage level, it is not fine to do so, it's like running you car engine at its maximum RPM, and 200KPH constantly. I know you're using DICE cooling, but unless you know how, or can, override the CPU's VID control, you can't go beyond 1.52V.

This is even more dangerous for Ivy Bridge CPUs, which run warmer and are internally more delicate than Sandy Bridge CPUs. You may find voltage level settings above this in the BIOS or a tuning utility, but that does not mean they can be safely used, or used at all. Recommended safe max voltage levels for IB CPUs like yours are ~1.3V. Yes I know, that's not for extreme over clocker's.

The OC utility running at 0.60V at start up is not good. I don't use that program, it seems it does not have an Apply button, everything is done in real time? Is it set to Autorun when the OS boots? If not, that might be why it does not pick up the actual CPU voltage. There might be a BIOS setting you have set that causes that. Otherwise, the program is not working as it should be, it must read and apply the current CPU settings, not doing so is a major bug.

Default Re: Issues with Rapid OC

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The absolute maximum voltage for Sandy Bridge i7-2600K CPUs is 1.52V, and is the same for an Ivy Bridge i7-3770K, 1.52V. The internal voltage controlling mechanism of these CPUs should not allow higher voltages than that. While they can be operated at this voltage level, it is not fine to do so, it's like running you car engine at its maximum RPM, and 200KPH constantly. I know you're using DICE cooling, but unless you know how, or can, override the CPU's VID control, you can't go beyond 1.52V.

This is even more dangerous for Ivy Bridge CPUs, which run warmer and are internally more delicate than Sandy Bridge CPUs. You may find voltage level settings above this in the BIOS or a tuning utility, but that does not mean they can be safely used, or used at all. Recommended safe max voltage levels for IB CPUs like yours are ~1.3V. Yes I know, that's not for extreme over clocker's.

The OC utility running at 0.60V at start up is not good. I don't use that program, it seems it does not have an Apply button, everything is done in real time? Is it set to Autorun when the OS boots? If not, that might be why it does not pick up the actual CPU voltage. There might be a BIOS setting you have set that causes that. Otherwise, the program is not working as it should be, it must read and apply the current CPU settings, not doing so is a major bug.
    I appreciate the input, however I am fully aware of the risks involved in applying that sort of voltage. It will go over 1.52v sometimes, other times it maxes out. 1.7v is pretty safe at -70 Celsius. There are user setting to set the max voltage (so you don't inadvertently go too high I assume) that goes all the way to 2.0V

This motherboard and it's features are marketed towards extreme overclockers after all... there are profiles in the bios created by Nick Shih specifically for sub-zero cooling. So it's not like I'm trying to do something the board wasn't designed for.

I have rapid oc set to auto-run on windows start, I will see if changing that makes any difference.

Thread Information