Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z77 Pro4-M - Cannot Sleep

therube is offline Member

Default Z77 Pro4-M - Cannot Sleep, Sometimes

Z77 Pro4-M - Cannot Sleep, Sometimes

Most times, not all, when I wish to put my computer to sleep, it does not, instead immediately returning to the login screen.
    Screen goes dark for a moment, then returns.

Win7, new computer, new install (a few weeks old).
    Installed necessary drivers (no "yellow" in Device Manager).
    Then installed a very base set of programs that I run.
    Otherwise, have done relatively little to the computer of yet.

When this first happened, my initial thought was to close down my browser (SeaMonkey 2.19, akin to FF 22).
    My browser typically is my largest user of RAM, ~1.5 GB or so.
    That is not atypical.

And with that, closing my browser, I could put my computer to sleep.

But if I have to close my apps, what then is the point.

With my old computer, there was never an issue with sleep, with my browser & everything & anything else I may have had running.

I've looked through BIOS settings, originally all at defaults, then tried a change here or there to see if it had any affect, but nothing - other then closing my browser down first, has allowed me to sleep, consistently.

The Win7 install should be clean, relatively little to no changes.
    No changes to Power options.
    Last edited by therube; 04-08-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Default Re: Z77 Pro4-M - Cannot Sleep

Device Manager -> Network adapters => Realtek | Properties

Power Management, 'Allow this device to wake the computer' is grayed out, which is fine with me.
    Advanced, 'Wake on Magic Packet' & 'Wake on pattern match' were both Enabled.

Disabled, but with no change in behavior.

Unplugged my (wireless) Mouse USB receiver.
    Made no difference.

Unplugged my LAN cable from my switch.
    Made no difference.

> nothing - other then closing my browser down first, has allowed me to sleep, consistently.

Again, just to point out, this is not always the case.
    Also note, that while I have closed my "browser" (SeaMonkey), I still have chat (ChatZilla, using Firefox as a backend) open, running. So it is not like I have completely closed all LAN facing applications. And I may even have a different, far less RAM intensive session of SeaMonkey left open too.

If I don't reply back again, in a moment or so, I have gone to sleep (after having already closed done my primary browser instance).
    Last edited by therube; 04-10-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Curious. In Power Options, which "Plan' are you using?

Check what the Multimedia options of your chosen Plan are set to.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Balanced.
    (Set in whatever way a new install defaults things.)

Multimedia
    -When sharing media, prevent sleep
    -When playing video, optimize video quality

Is this computer connected to or part of a personal network inside your home?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Code:
     Modem | ->
    Switch | ->
    -> Computer1
    -> Computer2
    Though Computer2 is & has been off (in Standby actually, always works there) for some time now.

(I would normally disable, & will once things get a bit more settled, the Windows Media "sharing", service I think it is, that Windows enables by default!)

South Bridge
    - Deep Sleep, default, S5
    - Restore on AC/Power Loss, Off

Intel Rapid Start Technology, Disabled

Intel Smart Connect Technology, Disabled

ACPI Configuration
    - pretty sure I've set everything there to Off/Disabled, except I think I left 'RTC Alarm Power On' at its default

CPU Fan 1 & 2 Setting
    Chassis Fan 1 Setting
    - i've set these a bit lower then defaults. CPU fan does run slower. I see no change in Chassis fan speed.

There was an optional (Windows) update for IME, which I did put in this morning (along with the other Windows 2nd Tuesday updates).
    So I'll see if anything there had made a difference.
    If not, I'll try Safe Mode.

There was an optional (Windows) update for IME, which I did put in this morning
    Yesterday evening, fired up my browser, messed around for a little bit, then tried Sleep - & it worked.
    This morning, awoke, messed around for a little bit, then tried Sleep - & it worked, again.

I'll know over the next number of days if I can now consistently Sleep.

Son of a gun!

It was looking good the last number of times I put it to sleep.

But just now, went dark, appeared to be syncing (all normal), but then the screen came back on a moment later.

That SUCKS!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Sleep issues can be a royal pain, I get it. My ASR Z77 EX 4 board Sleeps and wakes fine, so I'll review my UEFI settings, if you'd like to try them out.

Deep Sleep, defaulting to S5, makes no sense to me for a desktop PC, meaning needing to set it. S5 is defined as "Soft Off", or a Windows shutdown with the PS still on, that is used all the time. The only power state lower than S5 is G3, mechanical off, PS switch turned off. MS defines S5 as this:

The system appears to be off. Some components remain powered so the computer can wake from input from the keyboard, LAN, or a USB device. The working context can be restored if it is stored on nonvolatile media.

I have Deep Sleep Disabled.

The only other Sleep setting in my UEFI is Suspend to RAM, which is S3, normal Sleep. I have it set to Auto.

You mentioned earlier that your browser, when running seemed to cause the unexpected wake from Sleep. Is that still true? If so then the question is, what is that browser doing to cause the PC to wake.

Windows has several options that an application can set to prevent Sleep or wake a PC from Sleep. Does that browser have some kind of auto-refresh function or option that would end Sleep?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information